Rookies Only Mini-Camp

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Started the other day. There are some interviews up on the Packers.com website. I think most of the rookies got interviewed.

Looking at the interview, I like Justin Harrell. Seems like a good guy, respectful. I think he'll fit in here, and I'm excited about the pick!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

oh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah, this is the stuff I like. get them kids in, see how things shape up right away. You cant tell too much, but you can get some ideas out of this. I love it.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrell, Jackson, and Jones all seem respectful and ready to get down to business.
Clowney and Rouse both sound like they have the arrogance of playmakers, not necessarily a bad thing!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They all seem to have the right attitude. Now hopefully it will transfer to big things on the field!

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Competition at the WR spot is gonna be fierce for all those young guys, its gonna be very very stressful for them all.

Reaction score
JSOnline note on how the rookie RBs looked in practice

JSOnline - Brandon Jackson got off on the right foot and DeShawn Wynn got off on the wrong calf as the Green Bay Packers got a look at their new rookie class.

Running back Brandon Jackson, a second-round pick, bursts through the line during rookie orientation camp Friday.

The two running backs, Jackson a second-round pick from Nebraska and Wynn a seventh-round pick from Florida, were on display during a 90-minute or so workout Friday afternoon at the Don Hutson Center. Both are firmly in the mix for a starting running back job that is wide open after the departure of Ahman Green in free agency.

The rookie orientation camp this weekend is a far cry from an NFL game or even a training camp practice, and not a lot can be read from abbreviated workouts featuring just 31 players. But what stood out was that Jackson has the quick cutting ability the club said he had when they drafted him.

"I thought Jackson's feet were everything we saw on film," coach Mike McCarthy said. "I think he has very good start and stop. That's one thing you're able to see out here."

Wynn didn't make as good of an impression. Coming to the Packers with a reputation for being lazy and undisciplined, Wynn vowed before practice to show people that he was not the player some have made him out to be.

He said he felt he was every bit as athletic as the cluster of running backs taken in the second round and was eager to prove it.

"I'm here on a clean slate," said Wynn, who gained 630 yards (5.1-yard average) in 10 starts for the Gators last season. "I'm looking forward to making my own name here in Green Bay."

Unfortunately for Wynn, he had rough day. He tripped over his own feet and tumbled running through a gaping hole during an early run drill and then was forced out of the practice later when he suffered a pulled left calf muscle.

McCarthy wasn't sure of the severity of the injury and said Wynn's status for the final two days of the camp were up in the air.

Good to see Jackson showing the coaches in person what they saw on tape. Jackson makes cutting look as natural as breathing, so it's a great thing to see it translate into practices.

Hopefully Wynn isn't injured too seriously.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrell, Jackson, and Jones all seem respectful and ready to get down to business.
Clowney and Rouse both sound like they have the arrogance of playmakers, not necessarily a bad thing!

That's probably the best thing I've read in a while.

Rouse is going to be a freak, I just know it.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:

That's probably the best thing I've read in a while.

Rouse is going to be a freak, I just know it.

Aren't they the two from Virginia Tech?? Maybe that has something to do with it?

Reaction score
A more detailed report by Pelissero of Packersnews.com

The Blitz: Rookie orientation camp
The powers that be only allowed media access for one practice during the Packers' rookie orientation camp this weekend, so here's the rundown from today's 90-minute workout at the Don Hutson Center:

-- First-round draft pick Justin Harrell was in uniform but did not participate in contact drills. Packers coach Mike McCarthy said the team is "being smart" with Harrell, who missed most of his senior season at the University of Tennessee with a torn bicep.

-- Asked earlier today what he thinks coaches want to see, seventh-round draft pick DeShawn Wynn said "smartness and toughness." The latter came in question almost immediately as Wynn left practice early with a left calf injury. He had a wrap on it for an extended period and did not return. It's unclear whether he'll participate the rest of the weekend. While he was on the field, Wynn fumbled one handoff from John Stocco and fell flat on his face on another carry.

-- It's not saying much, but Stocco was the stronger of the two quarterbacks today. Neither he nor Jerry Babb (Louisiana-Lafayette) has great arm strength. But while Stocco seemed to find his rhythm during the 11-on-11 period, Babb threw a series of wobblers, including one that went directly to cornerback Tramon Williams.

-- Receiver David Clowney's speed is as good as advertised -- at least in shorts. The Virginia Tech product might have been a little overly anxious to show it off, taking one pass from Stocco and running the length of the practice field before coaches summoned him back to the huddle.

-- For what it's worth, running back Brandon Jackson (Nebraska) showed nifty moves in traffic during the team period. Twice, he got past the first level untouched. But again ... they're in shorts.

-- Former UW-La Crosse basketball player Joe Werner posted a perfect score on a team-conducted movement screen this morning, according to McCarthy. With no playing experience since early in high school, however, Werner didn't shock anyone by dropping at least two passes. He does take the prize for largest calves among his group in position drills. He's wearing No. 46.

-- For Badgers fans, Stocco suited up in No. 10. His college number (7) belongs to Ingle Martin.

-- Stocco and Babb both were 3-for-4 in the 7-on-7 passing drill. In the 11-on-11 period, Stocco fired two strikes to Calvin Russell -- on a play-action rollout and a post, respectively -- while Babb threw the interception and airmailed Clowney with his only other pass.

-- McCarthy said Russell, a first-year player from Tuskegee, has added 8 to 10 pounds on his 6-foot frame since last season.

Practice continues Saturday, though reporters won't see another workout until the mandatory minicamp begins Friday, May 18.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"
-- Receiver David Clowney's speed is as good as advertised -- at least in shorts. The Virginia Tech product might have been a little overly anxious to show it off, taking one pass from Stocco and running the length of the practice field before coaches summoned him back to the huddle."

nothing wrong with this at all, Jerry Rice did this every single practice in his career, if he caught a pass, he took it to the house and made sure nobody caught him no matter what the situation was, its a great habit to have.

Members online

Latest posts