1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Ron Zook to join Packers

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by captainWIMM, Feb 7, 2014.

1. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,058
    Former Florida and Illinois head coach Ron Zook will join the Packers staff. Details to follow shortly.

2. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +332
    I'm waiting on the details but I'm presuming he will replace Kevin Greene.

3. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,058
    Seems like Ron Zook will be named the Packers OLB coach.

4. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,058
    In addition, Packers name Sam Gash RBs coach. He coached the Lions RBs from 2008-12.

5. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +832
    Interesting. I have always heard people say Zook is a great guy, phenomenal recruiter and a horrible coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +832
    According to his Bio he has never coached linebackers and he when he was a DC back in 01 and DB coach in 99 he was in a 4-3. He was a special teams coach in Pittsburgh but not when Dom was there.

Someone make sense of this hiring please. The Big Unit has the day off so I can't even get his reaction.

7. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,452
    oh great.... someone who don't know what the hell they are doing....brilliant. WHY are we touching anything that came from detroit? They are horrible in all facets of coaching and ownership....again, brilliant. Detroit aint had a good RB since Barry sanders, wtf??

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +832
    He played for McCarthy 1 year in NO.

9. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,058
  10. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +832
    yep...just read that and mentioned it in the shout box. Makes a lot more sense though I have heard some Illinois fans say their special teams were terrible under him. They really really don't think highly of his work at U of I.

11. Just|Me

Just|Me Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    lol, exact my thoughts when I read that headline

12. Alex

Alex Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +213
    So this guy is McCarthy's buddy? Chalk up another guy that'll never get fired regardless of performance..

13. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,427
    ...and not many thought much of Bill Belichik's work prior to New England. Is this 1972 all over again? You guys bring out the noose and pitchforks way to quick for Packers coaches

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +332
    Yeah, that doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy!

15. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +515
    Eh yep. Time to reflect on MM's management style a moment. Since most of us are looking from the outside in, all our opinions are just that, opinions, but still, from the outside looking in:

MM does not appear to me to be a problem-solver but rather a company-man who values loyalty. Loyalty is certainly important; it has a lot more value than it's given credit for, and there are plenty of examples in the corporate world of the consequences of undermining the morale of your work-force by treating them as if they can be replaced at any time. However, replacing the assistant ST coach without replacing Slocum isn't tackling the problem. It's cosmetic. It may bring some improvement but probably won't make much of a difference.

MM's choice of sticking with his coaches tells me that it's unlikely that there will be any significant changes unless MM himself steps down. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have the feeling that MM may himself be on the clock. The Packers have done well under him but the team has fallen from the elite status that it was. Coaches get stale. Look at Andy Reid. Disappointment in Philly, he has revived KC and made them a contender. Many of us around here have come to expect the same ol' same ol' from MM, which is certainly good but not good enough to get us to the big dance, and Rodgers in his prime won't last forever.

16. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,017
    In his position he can only help the team. He's not going to ruin anything by being an assistant special teams coach.

I, like most fans probably, can't tell you who he is replacing so it's hard to have a fair reaction.

• Agree Agree x 1