Rodgers' work ethic

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm starting to feel like Rodgers just isn't fully in the game sometimes. His concentration seems off at times and he just doesn't seem like he plays with heart or that he's having fun out there.

I'm still waiting for him to really fall into place and build some identity with this team like #4 did. He clearly has the skill set to do something great, but he acts like it's just him out there and that he deserves better. The confidence he has is great, but it seems a bit misplaced, almost as if it alienates him from the team rather than leading them.

It may just be me, but it just feels that way, especially when I see leaders like Rivers and Favre, who get so animated with receivers. Maybe I just don't get the chance to watch enough of the games to see that kind of stuff (I'm in NY, so I get to deal with the garbage Bills all the time). What do you guys think?

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting opinion incube but I think sometimes your emotions can overtake your final judgement. While Favre and Rivers do get their teams pumped there are those QB's who get in over their heads. Jay Cutler is a prime example of that. But there are times where I do see Rodgers "bonding" with his teammates like in that Dallas game where he shook hands with Woodson.

OP
OP
Incubes12

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Favre smashes another Packer fan LIE/MYTH...

"I don't think I'm falling apart in December like some people some people are saying I'm supposed to...I feel fine. Just like anybody else in that locker room at this time of year".
Hm...completely off topic, but it's good to see that his old age is affecting his brain as well as his arm. ;)

OP
OP
Incubes12

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
OFF TOPIC, GEEZ

Anyway Rodgers didnt throw the ball today because he didnt need too and now someone questions his work ethic that sounds like a load of crap to me.
I wasn't referring to this week at all. I didn't even see the game. I was just talking in general, sometimes it just seems like he's not as into the game as I would like him to be. I love to see when the team is excited together when they score points and win. When the Pack wins, it just seems like they kind of did what they expected to do and that they were disappointed that a game would be as close as it was.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't referring to this week at all. I didn't even see the game. I was just talking in general, sometimes it just seems like he's not as into the game as I would like him to be. I love to see when the team is excited together when they score points and win. When the Pack wins, it just seems like they kind of did what they expected to do and that they were disappointed that a game would be as close as it was.

Perhaps thats a good thing. He doesn't let his emotions get the best of him.

Packerfury

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His work ethic is fine. I've heard from multiple reports his work ethic is as great as anyone's. I've heard he's a "first in the locker room, last to leave" type of guy.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
yeah, he also routinely invites the other players to his place for dinners and stuff to build relations. I also haven't heard any one from the team NOT compliment him when they talk about him. "true leader, hard worker, quick learner, young natural" those are just some things i've heard from other packers.

As for Favre, yeah he's all buddy buddy with the vikes now, but when in GB, he never talked to his teamates, had a private lockerroom, lots of players on his GB team say they dont really know him as a person, but just a football player. When he went to the Jets, he onyl got criticism from his teamates about how he wasn't a team players ect.

Case in point: I believe Rodgers is doing fine.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
yeah, he also routinely invites the other players to his place for dinners and stuff to build relations. I also haven't heard any one from the team NOT compliment him when they talk about him. "true leader, hard worker, quick learner, young natural" those are just some things i've heard from other packers.

As for Favre, yeah he's all buddy buddy with the vikes now, but when in GB, he never talked to his teamates, had a private lockeroom, lots of players on his GB team say they dont really know him as a person, but just a football player. When he went to the Jets, he onyl got criticism from his teamates about how he wasn't a team players ect.

Well said 3rty1.

And you could add, do you want a guy so emotional he starts making dumb mistakes out there in critical situations in high pressure games. Rogers seems composed in the pocket, and maybe that comes across as not caring. He just seems like a low key guy. I don't think you get a team to go on a 5-0 streak after losing to Tampa without leadership at the QB position. This team has a lot of problems, but the QB position isn't one of em. Lets not try to fix something that ain't broke.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers spent a lot of offseason time working with the Wrs...

I thought he had some issues comanding respect in the huddle, but there are several reports that couldn't be far from the thruth.

To me, what made an impression was his californian kid personality... Long hair, laid back...

But that's not how he is. Take a look at his rushing TD from the Tampa game, where the whole team collapsed, to see his reaction...

NICKBARNETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i love how we are winning and our qb is in the top of the league in stats and people still find reasons to clown him end it he is good we would be nowhere without him.

OP
OP
Incubes12

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Whoa whoa whoa, I'm not trying to "clown" anyone. This simply shows that what I see as a fan far away from GB is different than what you guys see there. It's great to hear that he is, indeed, quite the team builder. But I don't see that on the field as much. I know he puts up great stats and I know he wins us games. I'd just like to see us come out of a game with a little more pep, instead of feeling like we just scraped by, ya know?

NICKBARNETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i get what you are saying but put it this way he isnt trying to be one of the guys hes trying to be a leader of the whole team you see what im saying?

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
i love how we are winning and our qb is in the top of the league in stats and people still find reasons to clown him end it he is good we would be nowhere without him.

The same exact thing could be said about several other quarterbacks in this league ...

If you are going to arguing like that, atleast do it with consistency ...

Inititally in the start of the season, the reasons why alot of people thought the Packers wasn't playing well, was because of the "atrocious" offensive line ... Then it was because of the defense, - Then it was because of the coaches ...

I doubt anyone can argue that once the play calling and game tactics (seemed) to have changed somewhat (in order to "compensate" for that), the Packers really look like a play off team at this point in the season ...

This would indicate that while Rodgers has been performing overall well and better, it is also something that shows that perhaps alot of you is giving him too much credit, despite of his seemingly "great" stats ...

Again not saying he isn't a good quarterback, because he is, however 13 games into the season it should be clear to everyone that he still has alot to improve ... And that he struggles with adapting his play in alot of situations ... This supports the notion that perhaps he does need to "work" more, or atleast change his approach, because if I didn't know better based on the previoius season and this season so far ... Some times I see that as well ...

I'd argue that so far based on previous season and this one, it's not because of Rodgers and the team as a whole that the Packers are where they are, but more because of the coaching, those same coaches that alot of people wanted gone just 6 games into the season ... - And I agree ... I really don't see Rodgers as a "team-builder" ... in fact "history" has already shown that it is one leader "intangible" that he really doesn't have ... The ability to rally his team when it is most needed ...

And as for Favre having a seperate locker room ... - He didn't have that when he started, and there was a reason why he was given such ... - And it wasn't because of Favre not being a "team-mate", far from it ... - You people who spew forth that nonsense really should do some research in that aspect and then you will probably find out why it was so ...

Personally I would prefer to win with lesser than "stellar" stats, rather than be losing while having "stellar" stats ...

It's December now ... And alot of people have been referring to Favre's "stats" in December to argue how the Vikings will "falter" in the play offs ... - Minnesota sure didn't look like a team that is going to fold in the play offs against the Bengals ... - They did against the Cardinals, I'll agree with that however, the Cardinals isn't exactly a bad team, especially at home ...

OP
OP
Incubes12

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Absolutely, but that's part of being a leader. Part of building team momentum is reinforcing the team, and helping them realize that they are playoff caliber players, that they deserve to win these games. But, I do see what you're saying, I just think there should be a happy medium between being a leader and being one of the guys.

Now, what everyone else has said makes me realize that maybe that is, indeed, where he's at.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As for Favre, yeah he's all buddy buddy with the vikes now, but when in GB, he never talked to his teamates, had a private lockerroom, lots of players on his GB team say they dont really know him as a person, but just a football player. When he went to the Jets, he onyl got criticism from his teamates about how he wasn't a team players ect.

Great post. I agree. Rodgers' style is calm and collected. Even in radical situations he usually appears cool. That is his style and maybe compared to Favre or Rivers it seems like he does not care, but the reality of it is is that his focus is in the game and winning and emotions take a back seat.

If you ask me, thats a player who I want running my team, not one who uses emotion to drive for the win. Rodgers is doing a great job, hands down.

And he didn't throw the ball yesterday because the Bears defense couldn't stop a 10 year old from running through them at some points, and McCarthy's terrible 3rd and less than 4 play calling.

Just MHO

OHIOFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything that I have heard is that he is a grear student of the game. I think that all other thoughts could be put to bed by the fact that even though the Pack did not win a lot of games last year, Rodgers clearly was prepared to lead. Look where Rodgers is as far as his TD/INT ratio, Qb rating etc. he also has the respect of his team mates, on both Offense and Defense. Rodgers does not get the credit he is due, I think that his work ethic might surpass that of the QB he replaced.

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it says a lot about Rodgers that he has come this far this fast. How could he not be working hard? You can see his progress over the last several weeks. I don't think this quarterbacking business comes naturally to him or any other player at that position. And I don't really care if he's demonstrative in his enthusiasm. If that's his style, so be it.

Therran D

Cheesehead
Reaction score

See here's the thing: that game against Chicago SHOULDN'T have been as close as it was...period! After RG busted through the Bear's eight-man box for a 62-yard TD, we should have piled it on from there. However, somewhere along the way, Philbin got a lil conservative with his play-calling, which forced A-Rod to become a "game manager," even though we were a) playing a division rival, and b) we were playing a ****** Bears team.

So yeah, the Pack SHOULD have been disappointed that the game was as close as it was. We just need that Belichick mentality, and just shove the ball down our opponent's throat when we're up.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See here's the thing: that game against Chicago SHOULDN'T have been as close as it was...period! After RG busted through the Bear's eight-man box for a 62-yard TD, we should have piled it on from there. However, somewhere along the way, Philbin got a lil conservative with his play-calling, which forced A-Rod to become a "game manager," even though we were a) playing a division rival, and b) we were playing a ****** Bears team.

So yeah, the Pack SHOULD have been disappointed that the game was as close as it was. We just need that Belichick mentality, and just shove the ball down our opponent's throat when we're up.

Philbin isn't the playcaller, it's McCarthy. I don't even know anymore what the hell Philbin's job is any more. But its true that the Packers have to dominate the games that they should.

Therran D

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great post. I agree. Rodgers' style is calm and collected. Even in radical situations he usually appears cool. That is his style and maybe compared to Favre or Rivers it seems like he does not care, but the reality of it is is that his focus is in the game and winning and emotions take a back seat.

If you ask me, thats a player who I want running my team, not one who uses emotion to drive for the win. Rodgers is doing a great job, hands down.

And he didn't throw the ball yesterday because the Bears defense couldn't stop a 10 year old from running through them at some points, and McCarthy's terrible 3rd and less than 4 play calling.

Just MHO

"10-year-old," lol...but I def agree with you. WHOEVER is doing the play calling should take a hard look at the film this week before going into Heinz this Sunday. Granted "Blitzburgh" has been looking like "Shitzburgh" as of late, they ARE still the defending champs, and Polomalu may be coming back, which is def going to upgrade their defense. I say let A-Rod call the plays...

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Rodgers work ethic is not an issue he had some sophomore starting moments while running for his friggin life but other then he's just fine ! :neo: