1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rodgers is the best ever (through 32 starts)

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Aug 28, 2010.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    The quarterbacks with the best touchdown-to-interception ratios in their first 32 starts.*

QB (FIRST 32 STARTS) TD INT RATIO
    Aaron Rodgers 58 20 2.90
    Dan Marino 76 30 2.53
    Jeff Garcia 52 23 2.26
    Steve Bono 47 21 2.24
    Chad Pennington 49 22 2.23
    Kurt Warner 73 35 2.09
    Ken O'Brien 52 25 2.08
    David Garrard 35 17 2.06
    Tony Romo 66 34 1.94
    Donovan McNabb 45 24 1.88

Source: Stats Inc.

Rodgers also has the lowest INT percentage (1.8% of passes) and highest passer rating of all time (97.2)

*Since 1950

2. packerbob

packerbob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +10
    Nice try but I'm more impressed with wins especially in the playoffs and super bowl. Before you're ready to annoint Rodgers as one of the all time greats remember he hasn't even won a playoff game yet. This reminds me of the time when someone posted that after 2 or 3 years Mike Sherman had a better winning percentage than Vince Lombardi.

3. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    HAHA Those are impressive numbers at the moment but he has only been a starter for a few years

4. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,483
    Who says the op is ready to "anoint" him? Its a STAT to compare him to others...Why do people have to dig for something that is not there?

4 of those on the list were not or are not to bad of q/b

5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    If you read the title you would see through 32 starts. Try reading it again.

Of course wins are more important. Thus Starr being better than Favre

6. jkrelt

jkrelt Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +13
    I knew he had gotten off to a good start, but I didn't realize that it was this good from a historical perspective. As a long time Packer fan, it has been pretty awesome having a qb who is accurate, meticulous, and as this survey points out, efficient.

Just to be clear, I'm not anointing him as the greatest qb of all time, I'm just recognizing that he has gotten off to a helluva efficient start in his career.

But yes, you can be as efficient as you want; without playoff wins it don't mean squat.

7. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,483

That name is taken :)

8. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Oh. So wins in this case is what matters, but in Sherman's case, it's not?
    Noone annoited Rodgers the best ever. But he is the best ever through 32 starts.

If you think wins is ALL that matters, or the most important thing, then you gotta anoint Joe Flacco, with an incredible 1 TD and 6 INTS in the postseason, but with a 3-2 record, a great QB.

It's a team game. The guy put 45 points on the board. ANY professional will tell you that that should win you a game.

9. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    I completely agree.
    But you cannot take wins into account, not this early in his career. If, in the end, he's unnable to win a SB, and has a poor playoff record, then, yeah, he's not an all time great, despite his stats.

One thing to take into perspective. Payton Manning has an 87.6 playoff QB rating. Tom Brady has an 85.5. Rodgers has an 121.4. Starr has 104.8. And Johnny U has a 68.9.

10. LAG

LAG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +164
    So far so good with A Rod. He is immpressive. Remember the game at Dallas back in '07 when Favre had that scared look on his face, got an owwie and came out of the game. Rodgers came in confidently and turned things around and we almost won. He has this coolness about him.

11. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    The bolded # is the one I like to use the most. I also use a lot of indexes, cause football was much different back in the day, obviously..

12. Quientus

Quientus Oenophile

Ratings:
    +33
    J-F-C-F-t-l-o-G !!!

Are we still "debating" this "****" ???

Fact: Impressive Numbers !
    Fact: Cannot argue statistical merits !
    Fact: Through FIRST 32 starts Rodgers *is* the "best" - Nothing to argue, nothing to debate about ...

Could people read the posts before actually hitting the reply button, then perhaps, just maybe we can discuss things, however, when people don't read what is actually being posted it makes it a little difficult ...

Now we can certainly argue whether or not these stats equate "greatness", but you can't really argue about the stats themselves ...

There is no doubt that Rodgers is an incredible talent, and if he continues this "curve" there is probably no one who will argue that he as the potential to become a very great quarterback ...

One name comes to mind with great stats also ... But rarely mentioned among "Great" quarterbacks like Manning, Brady and (yes) Favre ... - Dan Marino ...

13. DergaSmash

DergaSmash Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    Yeah, I don't really see much to debate here. He is rediculous statistically. It really does bother me how many won't consider a QB elite until they win a crap ton of playoff games and/or super bowls, because in my mind football is a team sport. Sure one guy can make a great play that helps a team win or many plays for that matter. Yet I still think it comes down to the team/coaching. The fact remains that Aaron Rodgers has done something that no other quarterback has done in the history of the game in their first 2 seasons as a starter. In my mind that qualifies him as elite. Best Ever? That remains to be seen. Through the first 2 seasons? He makes a damn strong case. I may be biased however. LoL

14. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    The fumble last year against the Cardinals in o.t. hurt. But I seriously doubt he'll cost us many chances in future playoff games, like his predecessor was so good at.

15. Majik

Majik Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree 100%. I got so sick of the game being lost by that guy...Starting with the super bowl loss, it was mostly downhill after that in the playoffs.

But Rodger's first playoff pass was a pick, and his last was a fumble. But I see great things in the next playoff game(s). :victory:

16. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Loses it's luster as soon as you see Steve Bono, Ken O'Brien, and David Garrard.

17. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    all pro bowlers though