Rodgers--interceptions will spell doom for a team and a quarterback

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=16561&is_corp=1

If you ever wondered why Aaron Rodgers is so determined to avoid interceptions, why he believes at the very core of his football being that it is absolutely vital to the success of a quarterback and his team to not turn the ball over, the answer can be found in the Green Bay Packers quarterback’s football timeline on the first day he lined up in the shotgun for the Jaguars, as an eighth grader playing football for the very first time.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On his first pass in the Vikes game he threw the ball over the receiver's head and out of bounds.

My cuz sitting next to me goes "horrible throw"!

Well, not so much, there was a corner cheating down and to throw the ball on a line would have actually been a very risky toss!

So, ya... his not turning balls over is huge and plays like that sometimes are not really even considered.

Reaction score
There was a Stat they showed on Thursday during the game. It showed that AR is#1 rating for QB in regards to INT/TD ratio. He throws about 4 TDs per INT? The next closest was just over 2TDs /INT. What was most impressive is the next QB in the league threw nearly twice the INT vs TD average. We got us a keeper

Last edited:

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe sitting behind Brett those years he learned that throwing int's was a game and morale killer

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
There was a Stat they showed on Thursday during the game. It showed that AR is#1 rating for QB in regards to INT/TD ratio. He throws about 4 TDs per INT? The next closest was just over 2TDs /INT. What was most impressive is the next QB in the league threw nearly twice the INT vs TD average. We got us a keeper

its in the article

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score

They gave out a little mis-infomation for drama I guess

Rodgers ......3.77
Brady........2.68

Still very impressive

D

Deleted member 6794

IMO the most amazing stat was that Rodgers broke the record for fewest interceptions at the time a QB throws his 200th career TD pass with only 53. A record held by Tom Brady before him with 88(!!!).

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
They gave out a little mis-infomation for drama I guess

Rodgers ......3.77
Brady........2.68

Still very impressive
From the article: "In NFL history, no quarterback has a lower interception percentage (1.7 percent) or higher passer rating (105.4) than Rodgers."

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe sitting behind Brett those years he learned that throwing int's was a game and morale killer
I've always felt that was the case. It's a good reason for QBs like Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, and Teddy Bridgewater to sit on the bench a little longer. Yeah they might be able to play but there is so much more that can be learned from watching other players make mistakes. It's similar to a musician learning the playing all of the right notes isn't enough, it's learning when not to play.

In Favre's best years (1994-97) the Packers were +4, -5, +15, and 0 in turnover ratio. Rodgers has been +9, +26, +12, +27, and +8 from 2008-2012 (I excluded 2013 where other QBs affected the #s). Of course, the real stat is turnovers by Green Bay. Favre's teams were always in the 20-30 giveaways-per-season zone. Rodger's teams are traditionally in the teens. Favre arguably had better defenses to mask his turnover mistakes. Rodgers hasn't had that luxury.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always felt that was the case. It's a good reason for QBs like Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, and Teddy Bridgewater to sit on the bench a little longer. Yeah they might be able to play but there is so much more that can be learned from watching other players make mistakes. It's similar to a musician learning the playing all of the right notes isn't enough, it's learning when not to play.

In Favre's best years (1994-97) the Packers were +4, -5, +15, and 0 in turnover ratio. Rodgers has been +9, +26, +12, +27, and +8 from 2008-2012 (I excluded 2013 where other QBs affected the #s). Of course, the real stat is turnovers by Green Bay. Favre's teams were always in the 20-30 giveaways-per-season zone. Rodger's teams are traditionally in the teens. Favre arguably had better defenses to mask his turnover mistakes. Rodgers hasn't had that luxury.

Brent also had fantastic special teams for most of the Pack's best seasons, back in his time.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rogers' playoff interception rate of 1.6 is approaching Starr's 1.4--one of the primary reasons Starr QB'ed 5 Championship teams, and is undoubtedly the greatest QB in the history of the Green Bay Packers. But I'd sure love to see Rogers press the issue. This isn't fantasy football--it's all about Championships for teams, and individuals imo. We need to get the 14th soon....

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another reason why he probably takes so many sacks that are HIS FAULT. Intenional grounding means loss of down and yards so he'd probably just rather take the sack...as a fans we don't want to see him getting sacked but this may be part of the reason...he's very cautious with the ball and after watching Farse for so long i can appreciate that.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another reason why he probably takes so many sacks that are HIS FAULT. Intenional grounding means loss of down and yards so he'd probably just rather take the sack...as a fans we don't want to see him getting sacked but this may be part of the reason...he's very cautious with the ball and after watching Farse for so long i can appreciate that.

Amen! We can't have it both ways. He can't be "very cautious" and "play recklessly". Look at the Jets game as a perfect example. We were stinking up the place but Rodgers kept his cool and didn't start chucking the ball wildly, like Brent would do EVERY TIME in situations like that...and we beat the Jets. This notion that it's because of Rodgers not playing reckless that we don't win is comical. It's 100% the opposite.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
You guys are posting as if the only two options Rodgers has when receivers aren't open is to throw it up or take a sack. With his incredibly strong arm and quick release the other obvious option is to throw the ball away. The worst example this season was his taking a sack deep in Packers territory after about 7.5 seconds. There isn't an excuse for that. Don't get me wrong, of course I love Rodgers but he isn't perfect and one of his few flaws is not throwing the ball away on occasion.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys are posting as if the only two options Rodgers has when receivers aren't open is to throw it up or take a sack. With his incredibly strong arm and quick release the other obvious option is to throw the ball away. The worst example this season was his taking a sack deep in Packers territory after about 7.5 seconds. There isn't an excuse for that. Don't get me wrong, of course I love Rodgers but he isn't perfect and one of his few flaws is not throwing the ball away on occasion.

I don't buy it. I used to think that but not any more after watching him closely.

Again, is it a "flaw" when he buys extra seconds and makes a big play? There is a very small window - a split second decision between throwing it away and buying time. It is SOOOO easy to arm chair quarterback that.

Do something over the next few games. Look at this a little differently. Watch Rodgers closely and shout "throw it away" every time YOU think, in live action, that he should throw it away. Then count how many times on those plays he ends up completing a pass or making a solid throw to a receiver. I will bet you a weeks worth of beers he makes more positive plays than negative plays when that happens.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Remember the drill McCarthy started in TC (I think it started in 2013) where a horn sounded 2.5 seconds after the snap on passing plays? That was the HC's attempt to get Rodgers to get rid of the ball more quickly. And of course the last thing the HC wants is for Rodgers to throw the ball up for grabs. Also, the chance of Rodgers getting hurt throwing the ball away is much, much less than in taking a sack.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the damage done by a lot of sacks that Rodgers takes is just overstated a bit. One thing I notice is he takes a lot of sacks if it's 3rd and long or something. As long as you aren't in FG range I prefer him to try and hold the ball and make something happen on 3rd down when throwing it away kills your drive just as much as a sack does.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember the drill McCarthy started in TC (I think it started in 2013) where a horn sounded 2.5 seconds after the snap on passing plays? That was the HC's attempt to get Rodgers to get rid of the ball more quickly. And of course the last thing the HC wants is for Rodgers to throw the ball up for grabs. Also, the chance of Rodgers getting hurt throwing the ball away is much, much less than in taking a sack.

Don't get me wrong i'd much rather see him throw the ball away. He keeps his eyes upfield the entire time he's scrambling around back there looking to make a play... sometimes he makes one, and sometimes he gets sacked. Guess we have to take the good with the bad.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wish I could like agree and select informative too, that's probably his biggest wart. IMHO his biggest improvement since Detroit has been that he is is getting rid of the ball faster and has been throwing to his checkdown receiver more frequently, teams like to play Rodgers with a 2 deep shell and deep drop their linebackers, partly because his downfield passing ability is so impressive. Usually Rodgers has an open checkdown option available. I don't remember the last time that Rodgers checked it down to the back didnt pick up at least 5+ yards.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Take the turnover margin with a grain of salt. While Butler was always a ballhawk and Robinson was as well during his short time here. Newsome, Evans and our other corners were never known for their ball skills, good press corners though. Shields Williams Woodson Heyward, Collins, Rodgers has played with some sticky fingered defensive backs during his career in Green Bay.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the damage done by a lot of sacks that Rodgers takes is just overstated a bit. One thing I notice is he takes a lot of sacks if it's 3rd and long or something. As long as you aren't in FG range I prefer him to try and hold the ball and make something happen on 3rd down when throwing it away kills your drive just as much as a sack does.
But the sack loses yards.
So I guess it's up to the punter to make that up?

Members online

Latest posts