Rodgers’ greatest attribute might be his brain.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Amazing

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=17521&is_corp=1

Quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt, who played the position for nine years in the NFL as a backup and is in his first year as Rodgers’ position coach, was struck by Rodgers’ brainpower while he was still coaching the running backs, before he began working directly with Rodgers on a daily basis.

“He sees things very quickly. His ability to process information is second to none,” Van Pelt said. “That’s a huge part of playing the position is being able to process the information right up to the snap of the ball. It’s something that he’s exceptional at. He sees the field well. Through film study, he understands concepts of what they’re trying to do. He can ID that very quickly.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the "Ask Vic" section over at packers.com a fan was impressed at A-Rod's ability to recall plays during the press conference and suggested he might have a photographic memory.
I dunno if that's true or not but he might.
Seeing this and the more I learn about him makes me all that more glad that he is our QB.
I wouldn't want anyone else. Not even Brady or Eli who have more than one ring.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I have heard him on occasion bring up specific plays from prev games and give down and distances

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It certainly doesn't hurt to be a quick thinker, but having an arm that can throw a 40 yard laser on the run, with pin point accuracy, probably is more important.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not even Brady or Eli who have more than one ring.
I don't think the "not even" needs to be used when talking about the interception machine that is Eli Manning. The talent level isn't even in the same ballpark between him and Rodgers.

Beebe82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has a little Sheldon Cooper in him to be sure. He has talked about (in 2014) plays that have happened in 2010, when talking about facing the Jets. Mentioned the exact personnel, time on the clock, etc.

Granted they could have just gone through the play in film study, but he's literally a human dictionary of packer plays over the past 10 seasons and best of all, he can perform analysis on the information, make the correct read / decision 98% of the time and has the physical tools to make the play. He's clearly surpassed anything Peyton Manning did physically in his prime (only Marino and maybe Favre are in the same league as Rodgers) and I think he's passed him up in the mental department too.

Manning approaches the game like a statistician and will guess completely wrong every so often, that's why he has a much higher INT total. Rodgers approaches it the same way but has way better intuitive skills to go along with his technical knowledge (some how he "knew" Briggs' call didn't reach the entire team before the snap, no stat or amount of film study can tell you that). If you gave him a full on meyers-briggs test I'm sure he would score off the charts for iNtuition.

Sadly Rodgers is three years behind in all time stats like TDs and Yards, so he won't get the national recognition as "the best ever" but for fans who would post to a forum or board and the NFL insiders, he will go down as the most gifted QB ever.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
By listening to his show with Wilde you quickly learn if he doesn't have total recall, he's damn close to that. Rodgers is the complete package. In addition to his intelligence and arm strength he has incredible footwork and is athletic enough to use his feet to hurt Ds. He's got one of the quickest releases I've seen. He's the best McCarthy has every seen in one of his drills in QB camp which improve dexterity. In addition to his physical and mental attributes he is fiercely motivated. And to top it off, by all indications he's a good human being.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say he does not have an eidetic (photographic) memory because in another video when he's talking about learning guitar he calls it a challenge to learn new chords and their positions. If he had an eidetic memory, he would be able to study a chord book and know every chord he would ever need in very short order.

What I believe he possesses is an off-the-charts football IQ. He sees and understands more of what is going on pre-snap than anyone else who has ever played the position. He is able to read defenses with such thorough understanding of each defender's personal tendencies and abilities that he is able to predict how the defense will react with such precision that it's as if he is seeing the play unfold before it ever happens. This is probably exactly what Magic Johnson was talking about when he compared him to Larry Bird, who had that same gift.

Last edited:

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I've read, Rogers had 1300 or 1400 on his SAT, which wouldn't have gotten him into Cal if he couldn't play football. But he's certainly a genius when it comes to playing QB in the NFL.

Members online

Latest posts