Rest Of The Way Thoughts

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, second half of the season already. Let's bat around how we see things going the rest of the way.

Packers- Improving the tackling even a little will go a long way. The big thing will be to continue the relative good luck on the injury front. If key players such as Rodgers, Lacy, Nelson, Cobb, Matthews and Peppers can consistently perform up to their abilities, youngsters such as Adams and Clinton-Dix can continue to improve and contribute, then I see winning out as a possibility. There are three big tests left; Eagles, Patriots, and Lions. But all are at home as are 5 of the last 8.
No worse than 10-6- which may or may not get a playoff spot. 13-3 possible, but I see 12-4 as a better than 50/50 bet.

Rest of the NFC

The Contenders (in no particular order)

Lions- A healthy Megatron and continued solid defense make them dangerous. There's a different vibe here, too. I wouldn't count on them self destructing. Last game at Lambeau could be huge.

Seahawks- Yeah, somethings been off. But they still have Wilson and a lot of other talent. Meetings with Cards and 49ers will decide things.

Cardinals- Despite so many key injuries, Arians has these guys believing. If Palmer can stay healthy and keep mistakes to a minimum and the defense can keep playing at a high level, they may be ready to take the next step. Big motivation with the Super Bowl at their home stadium.

49ers- They've weathered the storm of injuries and distractions, and are set up to make another big push. Getting Bowman , Smith and Willis back together and healthy, and having 3 meetings left with the 'Hawks and Cards will decide their fortunes.

Eagles- Not convinced, but in position. Yeah, the offense is explosive, but 7 non offensive TD's is a lot of smoke and mirrors.

Cowboys- Another not convinced. The offense is outstanding and loaded with talent at every position group, but how long can they continue to cover up the flaws in a shaky defense ? Still need to show they won't fold up at crunch time.

Saints- Being in the leagues worst division allowed them to get away with a slow start, but if Rob Ryan's defense can continue to improve , they still have one of the leagues most dynamic offenses. Need to show they can break out of the totally different team on the road blues; otherwise, they can play with anyone.

Division Winners- Packers, Cowboys, Saints, Cardinals

Wild Cards- Lions, 49ers

AFC

The Broncos are head and shoulders above the rest right now. The defense is playing at a level to match Manning and the offense. The Colts still have questions, especially on D, but Andrew Luck can carry a team the way only elite QB's can. and Browns are on the upswing, but not ready yet.

The Patriots have been rolling with Brady and Gronk back together and in synch. Brady and Bellichek always make them dangerous, but I see too many flaws and questions to jump on the band wagon just yet. The Ravens and Steelers are still tough, and Sunday's meeting will likely decide which one sits out come playoff time. The Bengals have balance and talent, but need to show they can win in January. The Chargers are a step below, but Rivers is having a great season and keeps them dangerous. The Chiefs are tough but flawed and also a second tier team.
The Dolphins , Bills, and Browns are on the upswing, but not ready yet.

Division Winners- Broncos, Patriots, Colts, Bengals

Wild Cards- Steelers, Ravens

Playoffs? We'll get there when we get there.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with your analysis of the Packers second half except I would say no worse than 11-5. Historically, the Packers are almost without fail better in the second half of the season. I see no reason why this trend doesn't continue. I see a 12-4 finish with a bye week. We'll win the 3 tough games you mentioned at Lambeau, but we'll probably drop another road game to someone we should beat. The Vikings or Bills are a strong possibility. However, if we win all of our home games, which I expect we will, then all three of our road games are very winnable too. Damn it's nice to only be looking at 3 more away games on the 1st of November :)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remaining schedule:

Should definitely win (games that we will be strongly favored in and it would be a fairly big upset if we lose)
Chicago, @Minnesota, Atlanta, @ Tampa Bay

It feels weird to put the Bears in this category, but a number of elements go into it: the Bears mighty struggles lately and the Packers recent history against them, with of course the game being at Lambeau. If the struggles against the run continue though, Forte could keep them in it. No reason to lose any of the other 3. AP was always the x-factor in the dome, and that's no more. I haven't forgotten our history against Tampa Bay, but the talent gap just seems too large -- Rodgers should destroy that secondary. It's a good time of the year to go there where the heat won't be as much of a factor as it was against Miami. It's really difficult to imagine Atlanta pulling the upset at Lambeau.

Winnable but tough games: Philadelphia, New England, @Buffalo, Detroit

You'd think a Kyle Orton led team wouldn't be a huge threat, but don't sleep on the Bills. I'd probably put the game in the top category if it were at home, but in Buffalo, we'll see. It's still a game we should win. The other 3 are fortunately at home. Philly has been in every game, but they've also had some close calls. It will be interesting to see how McCoy is running at that point. New England is playing some good ball. To my knowledge Aaron Rodgers has never faced them. Everything about the finale against Detroit screams that it's a game we should win. It's at home, it's against a team that hasn't won there in 23 years, and it's in the cold for a dome team that's been known to struggle down the stretch. Still, we'll wait and see if the Caldwell factor results in a different type of finish for the Lions this year.

All in all, every game on the remaining schedule is winnable, and on the surface at this moment I would be surprised if we are not favored in every one of them. Doesn't mean we will win them all, but 6-2 should be a realistic goal which would put us in good position to win the division and possibly get a 1st round bye.

D

Deleted member 6794

I haven't forgotten our history against Tampa Bay, but the talent gap just seems too large -- Rodgers should destroy that secondary. It's a good time of the year to go there where the heat won't be as much of a factor as it was against Miami.

I agree we're way too talented to lose to the Buccaneers, but same strange things have happened to the Packers at Raymond James Stadium. For example two of Rodgers three career games in which he has thrown three interceptions in a game have occured there.

All in all, every game on the remaining schedule is winnable, and on the surface at this moment I would be surprised if we are not favored in every one of them. Doesn't mean we will win them all, but 6-2 should be a realistic goal which would put us in good position to win the division and possibly get a 1st round bye.

Of course I hope the Packers win all of their remaining games but if we have to lose one of the remaining games I hope it's the Eagles one as that's the only one without any implication on the common game tie breaker with the Lions.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like to treat NFL game like the weather.
I don't trust predictions and just wait and see what the day brings.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My prediction game by game the rest of the season

Week 10, Bears: Packers 31, Bears 20- I don't see us losing at home to the Bears. The defense should get Cutler to turn the ball over a couple of times.

Week 11, Eagles: Packers 28, Eagles 24- Could definitely lose this one, but I'll give the edge to the Packers since it's in Lambeau.

Week 12, @ Vikings: Packers 35, Vikings 17- I don't see how we lose to the Vikings. Will have a tougher time with Bridgewater than with Ponder.

Week 13, Patriots: Patriots 38, Packers 30- Could win this one, but the don't think the defense will be able to stop Brady whereas the Pats defense is good enough to slow Rodgers down at least a little. Hopefully there is some Lambeau magic.

Week 14, Falcons: Packers 27, Falcons 16- Shouldn't have too much trouble with this one, although I think the Falcons are better than they're playing.

Week 15, @ Bills: Packers 24, Bills 17- This will be tougher than in years past, if the Bills had a decent QB they'd be serious contender right now.

Week 16, @ Buccaneers: Buccaneers 26, Packers 21- Everyone is probably wondering why I have us losing this one, and it's for a few reasons. First off, I know this team is going to blow a game down the stretch that I don't see them losing. It's bound to happen. Secondly, Rodgers' worst career games have come against the Bucs, especially in Tampa, and Lovie knows Rodgers well. Lovie's D's normally did a good job slowing our offense down, that cover 2 has always given Rodgers trouble. I will probably be wrong on this game, but it's what I'm feeling, I'm feeling an upset.

Week 17, Lions: Packers 21, Lions 17- The Lions defense is too good to score many points on. But their offense has been suspect. And I'd like to think this team can uphold the streak in Lambeau. Might decide NFC North.

Final Record: 11-5

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My prediction game by game the rest of the season

Week 10, Bears: Packers 31, Bears 20- I don't see us losing at home to the Bears. The defense should get Cutler to turn the ball over a couple of times.

Week 11, Eagles: Packers 28, Eagles 24- Could definitely lose this one, but I'll give the edge to the Packers since it's in Lambeau.

Week 12, @ Vikings: Packers 35, Vikings 17- I don't see how we lose to the Vikings. Will have a tougher time with Bridgewater than with Ponder.

Week 13, Patriots: Patriots 38, Packers 30- Could win this one, but the don't think the defense will be able to stop Brady whereas the Pats defense is good enough to slow Rodgers down at least a little. Hopefully there is some Lambeau magic.

Week 14, Falcons: Packers 27, Falcons 16- Shouldn't have too much trouble with this one, although I think the Falcons are better than they're playing.

Week 15, @ Bills: Packers 24, Bills 17- This will be tougher than in years past, if the Bills had a decent QB they'd be serious contender right now.

Week 16, @ Buccaneers: Buccaneers 26, Packers 21- Everyone is probably wondering why I have us losing this one, and it's for a few reasons. First off, I know this team is going to blow a game down the stretch that I don't see them losing. It's bound to happen. Secondly, Rodgers' worst career games have come against the Bucs, especially in Tampa, and Lovie knows Rodgers well. Lovie's D's normally did a good job slowing our offense down, that cover 2 has always given Rodgers trouble. I will probably be wrong on this game, but it's what I'm feeling, I'm feeling an upset.

Week 17, Lions: Packers 21, Lions 17- The Lions defense is too good to score many points on. But their offense has been suspect. And I'd like to think this team can uphold the streak in Lambeau. Might decide NFC North.

Final Record: 11-5

Good predictions, personally I see us losing to the vikes or the Bears instead of the bucs. Throw out records when playing the Bears, they seem to not matter, but we have had their number for some time now it seems

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see the Packers losing to the Eagles, Pats and maybe the Lions. Pack should be favored in the other games but an upset on a flat day is always possible. 10-6 is the most likely outcome with a wild card spot. The Pack will likely then go on the road to either the Saints or ?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some may wish to revise predictions for the Philly game knowing now that Mark Sanchez will be the Eagle's starting QB that game with Foles out 4-6.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
49ers really have an uphill climb now after todays loss. They have a brutal schedule remaining.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After this Sunday's games the teams that are hot in the running for the two wild card spots are the Packers, Cowboys and the Seahawks. The 49ers are on the outside looking in.

The Patriots are on fire right now and neither Philadelphia nor Buffalo is going to be a walk in the park, even with Foles out. Then there's Detroit. So far they are for real with arguably the best defense in the NFL this year. Since the Seahawks have the tiebreaker against us, Packers may not make it in with a 10-6 record. At this point I give the Packers about a 2 in 3 chance at the playoffs.

Members online

Latest posts