Report: packers have interest in Reggie Wayne

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is interesting. Wayne can and does play the slot position. I wonder if this means that we have a few new wrinkles for Cobb next year? We also "showed" interest in Andre Johnson. So something is up with us showing interest in veteran WR's. Has to be a reason.

I would doubt that they have a SERIOUS interest in a nearly 40 year old wide receiver.

Wayne put up pretty decent numbers last year before his injury. The dude can still ball.

D

Deleted member 6794

I seriously doubt that Dave Furst, who works for an Indianapolis TV station, has any idea about who the Packers are interested in.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is interesting. Wayne can and does play the slot position. I wonder if this means that we have a few new wrinkles for Cobb next year? We also "showed" interest in Andre Johnson. So something is up with us showing interest in veteran WR's. Has to be a reason.

Wayne put up pretty decent numbers last year before his injury. The dude can still ball.
Perhaps, but now he's a year older.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
My guess is the Packers (perhaps) call the agents of players asking what kind of money they are looking for and the agent makes that known to increase the market for his player. This doesn't make any sense in Ted Thompson's world, does it? With two veteran WRs who each just had 1,000 yard + seasons, a #3 they're extremely high on, and a third rounder in Montgomery, and Janis, and Abbrederis, and White... I really think this is just the result of the Packers due diligence.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is the Packers (perhaps) call the agents of players asking what kind of money they are looking for and the agent makes that known to increase the market for his player. This doesn't make any sense in Ted Thompson's world, does it? With two veteran WRs who each just had 1,000 yard + seasons, a #3 they're extremely high on, and a third rounder in Montgomery, and Janis, and Abbrederis, and White... I really think this is just the result of the Packers due diligence.

I agree, but I don't know how Wayne could be looking for more than a veteran minimum contract. He'll be lucky just to make a 53 at this point.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spot on TJV as usual. My thoughts exactly. A good GM always has interest but he's looking to see if Reggie Wayne will come at a value discount. TT is the guy cruising used car lots, looking for the old Mustang or Roadrunner marked down enough with enough juice left for a good run. If not, he moves on to the next lot.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As much as I like Wayne and his past body of work....signing (and keeping him) him would sacrifice a roster position as well as playing time for the younger WR's who have much more future potential then Wayne. So unless there has been an injury or TT feels that a few of our young WR's aren't what he thought they were, I really can't see this happening.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spot on TJV as usual. My thoughts exactly. A good GM always has interest but he's looking to see if Reggie Wayne will come at a value discount. TT is the guy cruising used car lots, looking for the old Mustang or Roadrunner marked down enough with enough juice left for a good run. If not, he moves on to the next lot.

Not even sure that the roster spot is worth the vet minimum. Given his age, injury risk, and production last year, not sure how he could be more than the biggest possible discount, the vet minimum.

This might be nothing more than Wayne's agent trying to drum up a market. I'm not convinced he plays this year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
[tongue firmly in cheek]When stories like this pop up I get a picture of the guys working exclusively in the Packers pro personnel department. Unlike those in the college scouting department who know how much Thompson values the draft and UDFAs, the poor pro personnel guys in Green Bay are the Maytag repairmen of the NFL: They no doubt have a spreadsheet on every NFL player and their time is mostly spent updating it … mostly to no avail. In fact, when Eliot Wolf was promoted to Director of Player Personnel, they didn’t even bother to fill his role as head of the pro personnel department. The “well-known” Tim Terry is the assistant director of pro personnel. Tim, sitting in some far corner of the basement: ‘Hey Autumn (Autumn Thomas-Beenenga, the pro personnel coordinator) go ahead and call Wayne’s agent and see what he’s looking for.’[/tongue firmly in cheek]

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we had anything better to talk about I wouldn't have posted it ... Also we get these reports about vet WRs like someone said so I figured enough smoke to maybe discuss why we hear about this. TYJ nailed it I'm sure, packers are just doing homework.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Main thing Wayne has going against him (assuming he can still play WR) is he can't play special teams. He'd clearly be a great #4 or #5 WR if he still has it. Janis and and abbrederis are just bodies.

D

Deleted member 6794

Main thing Wayne has going against him (assuming he can still play WR) is he can't play special teams. He'd clearly be a great #4 or #5 WR if he still has it. Janis and and abbrederis are just bodies.

IMO it's far too early to give up on either Abbrederis or Janis.

H

HardRightEdge

[tongue firmly in cheek]When stories like this pop up I get a picture of the guys working exclusively in the Packers pro personnel department. Unlike those in the college scouting department who know how much Thompson values the draft and UDFAs, the poor pro personnel guys in Green Bay are the Maytag repairmen of the NFL: They no doubt have a spreadsheet on every NFL player and their time is mostly spent updating it … mostly to no avail. In fact, when Eliot Wolf was promoted to Director of Player Personnel, they didn’t even bother to fill his role as head of the pro personnel department. The “well-known” Tim Terry is the assistant director of pro personnel. Tim, sitting in some far corner of the basement: ‘Hey Autumn (Autumn Thomas-Beenenga, the pro personnel coordinator) go ahead and call Wayne’s agent and see what he’s looking for.’[/tongue firmly in cheek]
While your tongue was in cheek, that's probably not too far off. However, an admin assistant would not be talking money with an agent. ;)

Seriously, why would the Packers be interested in this player even if (1) he'd want to play in Green Bay and (2) he'd accept a relatively small paycheck?

The Packers "base" offense is 3-wide. There's no particular TE threat. Among the other WRs, the only experience is White's and Janis' 14 career targets. If one of the top 3 were to blow a knee in training camp, this story might be revisited if Wayne is still available.

It would not be for the vet minimum, however. If Wayne was willing to take that kind of money he'd be on somebody's roster by now. Perhaps more importantly, he might not be very interesting in a situation where he's just bench insurance. As injuries across the league accumulate as the season approaches, he might get what he wants.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

After signing Ced Benson on 8/12/12, Thompson's comment was, "We like what we saw with Cedric. As we went further into training camp, we realized that you can never have enough horses."

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts