Replacement Referees

CheeseHead87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought that the whole replacement refs issue was blown out of proportion by the media, but not after last night. They are seriously slowing things down, making bad calls, and at points seem lost. I think this is giving the old referees a lot of leverage to get some more money, because the NFL has seen how bad these other refs are.

And apparently the NFL is even getting refeerees from the Lingerie Football League! (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brian-frederick/nfl-replacement-referees_b_1756285.html) This whole situation is such a mess, and from what I've been reading a deal isn't close to being done.

Any other thoughts on these replacement refs?

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought that the whole replacement refs issue was blown out of proportion by the media, but not after last night. They are seriously slowing things down, making bad calls, and at points seem lost. I think this is giving the old referees a lot of leverage to get some more money, because the NFL has seen how bad these other refs are.

And apparently the NFL is even getting refeerees from the Lingerie Football League! (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brian-frederick/nfl-replacement-referees_b_1756285.html) This whole situation is such a mess, and from what I've been reading a deal isn't close to being done.I heard the NFL or the head guy in charge of the "refs" came down on them for not throwing many flags in the HOF game. Had to make up for it Thurs night

Any other thoughts on these replacement refs?

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
The refs got an ear full for not throwing enuff flags at the HOF ge so they had to make up for it Thurs night

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably the most worrisome thing about last nights' game. They must fix this before the regular season starts.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I say the Packers hire the lingerie football league PLAYERS and form a cheerleading squad...lol
*Golf claps* THAT is an idea worth pursuing. As for the refs, this definitely needs resolution: a deal MUST be made by the start of the regular season

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Seems to me a lot of people have forgotten how bad the regular refs were. I, personally, didn't find that they did bad at all. Are you saying the regulars don't miss calls or make other ones up? These replacements are college officials who will likely be finding their way into the NFL over the next few years anyway. There are a few minor rules differences they have to get used to, which shouldn't take long (it's preseason for them too). I saw nothing egregious in their performance in our game. Screw the regulars. They make plenty of money!

TallPackersFan96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I found an interesting article about the "Zebra Lockout" I can't say I blame the Refs for fighting to keep their 401k plan. As far as the money is concerned, The league is proposing increase from $149,000 to $189,000 by 2018. How much of an increase are the Ref's asking for?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I saw nothing egregious in their performance in our game.
You may have wanted to see a few of the other games, it was about 50-50, some refs were solid enough, some straight out stunk cheeks. These are Division 2-3 refs, Div1 refused, so they weren't necessarily on their way to the nfl

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You may have wanted to see a few of the other games, it was about 50-50, some refs were solid enough, some straight out stunk cheeks. These are Division 2-3 refs, Div1 refused, so they weren't necessarily on their way to the nfl

Give it a week. Chalk it up to nerves for now. Wouldn't you be nervous your first time on national TV?

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
I will ref the packers games for free. I will be fair until is a crucial game and then go wildly in favor of the pack!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im with Greenblood. I think its blown way out of proportion. Seems the last few years the refs have been making more bad calls than normal. I don't expect them to be perfect, so a few screw ups are okay. I've watched 3 games so far and I don't think its been seemless, but it isn't far off from the regular refs.

Remember, these guys are not exactly off the street guys, they are NCAA approved refs and many of them have 100 games already under their belts. They can handle it.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
My son, right before the ref explained one flag, said: "My Mommy says that #63 was holding." Just about laughed my @55 off (which makes it tough to sit up straight)... but that guy really did look like a kid.

Anyway, I'm with those who say, give 'em some time, they'll settle in for whatever amount of time it takes for the NFL to settle with the professionals.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My son, right before the ref explained one flag, said: "My Mommy says that #63 was holding." Just about laughed my @55 off (which makes it tough to sit up straight)... but that guy really did look like a kid.

Anyway, I'm with those who say, give 'em some time, they'll settle in for whatever amount of time it takes for the NFL to settle with the professionals.

I don't think the NFL should settle with the so-called professional's at all. Avarage salary is around $55,000 for roughly 450-500 hours of work per year. That comes out to about $100/hour. A lot of the referees make around $150,000. They're making about $250-300/hour. And then they have their regular jobs the rest of the year. If the new guys continue to get the job done, let the "professionals" watch the games at home.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i didnt see much in the packers game besides that unsportsmanlike call at the beginning (did i miss something or did he just flex his muscles?)

however i guess one of the refs in the atlanta game (it was in atlanta) called them "arizona" instead of "atlanta" twice. dont you know what town you're in man?

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That call on Perry was horrid. His first NFL sack? Not allowed to flex? Clay is doomed! lol I agree though, these refs are earning raises for the union thugs at all times....

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That call on Perry was horrid. His first NFL sack? Not allowed to flex? Clay is doomed! lol I agree though, these refs are earning raises for the union thugs at all times....

Go back and look at the play. It was called because he was standing right over top of Rivers when he did it. That has been called in the past. It's nothing exclusive to these officials.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
We've been complaining that the officiating is getting worse year after year. These replacements so far are really really poor. Should the league make a new contract with the refs, then make them full-time? As in, they must attend debriefing sessions a couple days each week and they must also attend team practices of different teams on the other days. Just thinking off the top of my head. If these referees are getting paid so much for a job that is not their full-time job, maybe it's time to make it a full-time job with certain requirements for instruction, review and improvement.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought that's what this was all about. The refs were complaining that it was too difficult to maintain a full-time job yet essentially work part-time from August through January. I know that my boss would tell me to take a hike if I wanted to only work part-time for half of the year!

The referees haven't gotten worse. We just have more camera angles, high-definition tvs, and we are all much bigger know-it-alls than before. Refs have been missing calls in every sport since referees were first used. We just seem to get much more uptight about it these days. Gone are the days where we just threw an empty beer can at the TV. Now we all gone online and rant about it, and we have 24hr NFL networks that make it a weekly discussion topic.