Reaction score
John Kuhn
Don Barclay
Jarrett Bush
Matt Flynn
Jamari Lattimore
Sean Richardson

Thoughts:

Kuhn- Resign to 1 yr deal. Keep bringing him back at market value for FB.
Barclay - Capable backup for Bulaga and Bakh. Don't see him ever being a starter in GB. Keep him around if the price is right. If somebody else sees him as a starter, good for Don.
Bush - I'd love to have a veteran back at CB to help some of the rookies I hope the packers bring in, but Jarrett is past him prime.
Flynn - It seems like we are committing to Tolzein as the backup QB. I'd be more comfortable with Flynn back there. Could continue to be a cheap insurance policy for another 1 yr, $1M deal.
Lattimore - I hope this position can be addressed from outside during FA. Let's strike a deal with a capable veteran starter then draft and develop. If we can't find a bandaid in free agency, I'm concerned about having a rookie step in and start. I don't think that guy is in this draft class. His status should depend on what other moves we can make at the position in FA.
Richardson - Not enough production to consider keeping him around.

D

Deleted member 6794

John Kuhn
Don Barclay
Jarrett Bush
Matt Flynn
Jamari Lattimore
Sean Richardson

Thoughts:

Barclay - Capable backup for Bulaga and Bakh. Don't see him ever being a starter in GB. Keep him around if the price is right. If somebody else sees him as a starter, good for Don.
Bush - I'd love to have a veteran back at CB to help some of the rookies I hope the packers bring in, but Jarrett is past him prime.
Flynn - It seems like we are committing to Tolzein as the backup QB. I'd be more comfortable with Flynn back there. Could continue to be a cheap insurance policy for another 1 yr, $1M deal.
Lattimore - I hope this position can be addressed from outside during FA. Let's strike a deal with a capable veteran starter then draft and develop. If we can't find a bandaid in free agency, I'm concerned about having a rookie step in and start. I don't think that guy is in this draft class. His status should depend on what other moves we can make at the position in FA.

The Packers have tendered both Don Barclay and Sean Richardson. In addition the team has told Matt Flynn they don´t have any interest in re-signing him. It´s possible Kuhn and Bush will be back for deals close to the veteran minimum, don´t expect Lattimore to get another contract.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see a guy on the list that would make any appreciable difference to the team's fortunes, whether they're here or not.
Probably the two most worthwhile guys are Barclay and Richardson, and they've already been tendered.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
John Kuhn
Don Barclay
Jarrett Bush
Matt Flynn
Jamari Lattimore
Sean Richardson

Thoughts:

I'd be fine with Kuhn and Bush back but I won't be heartbroken if only 1 or neither are back. Kuhn is a fan favorite and the definition of Packer people so it wouldn't surprise me to see him back. Bush has carved himself out a pretty nice little career for how bad he is at CB LOL, good on him.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Richardson is a great young backup safety. I like to see him stay. Barclay too, unless the knee is lingering damage, or a mid-rounder this year looks better than him. Speculation, he healed good if packers tendered him...

Kuhn, Bush. I wouldnt mind moving on. Bush was replaced by Hyde. Kuhn I think could be replaced by a TE. Why not throw richard Rodgers back there as lead blocker, the two times a game we run the I up the gut? We get a few mil salary cap back, and an extra roster spot, if we can manage that trick...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm going to miss the "Kuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhn" chant at home or on the road when the Packers finally part ways with him....I don't see that happening this year, he is still productive at what they want him for and a fan favorite.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Kuhn gets signed, we will have the haters..

He does MORE than anyone truly knows

OP
OP
Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers can pretty much tell Kuhn what he will make next season. The FB position has been devalued so much that I doubt any other team would be interested. It's either stay in GB (where it seems iike he has enjoyed his career) or retire.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Packers can pretty much tell Kuhn what he will make next season. The FB position has been devalued so much that I doubt any other team would be interested. It's either stay in GB (where it seems iike he has enjoyed his career) or retire.

or become a Viking?

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let Kuhn walk and draft Jawston Fowler from Alabama in the late rounds (Lacy's FB in College)

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kuhn was making 2.5 mil/yr the last 3 years.

March 28, 2015 5:09 pm
Packers still interested in signing FB John Kuhn
by Dave Peters | CBSSports.com

The Packers are still interested in signing fullback John Kuhn to the roster, reports the Journal Sentinel.

When head coach Mike McCarthy was asked if Kuhn still has value, he replied, "Absolutely."

"I've always looked at the fullback and tight end position as one. I feel you have to have flexibility and versatility within those two positions. It keeps you in and out of a number of different personnel groups."

Kuhn, 32, has spent eight of his nine seasons with the Packers, rushing for 591 yards and 18 touchdowns. As a receiving option, the fullback has 76 receptions for 516 yards and eight touchdowns.

Its cool McCarthy echoed the sentiment I have about having another young TE drafted to replace Kuhns roster spot. A TE who can line up in the I and lay a lead block for Lacy if we need to.
Come to think of it... Wasnt Kuhn a TE when he was drafted?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He may have made more prior to 2015, but I'm almost positive he signed for 1M or thereabouts last season.

H

HardRightEdge

He may have made more prior to 2015, but I'm almost positive he signed for 1M or thereabouts last season.
$1,051,875 to be precise, including signing, workout and roster bonuses.

The Packers need a lead blocker. There isn't one on the roster.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 mil a year last year. I remember him being a free agent now. I would say having a pro-bowl FB for 1mil is a deal.... So why havnt we signed him yet?

H

HardRightEdge

1 mil a year last year. I remember him being a free agent now. I would say having a pro-bowl FB for 1mil is a deal.... So why havnt we signed him yet?
Pro Bowl? How about 2014 AP first team All Pro! OK, so only a couple of teams actually have fullbacks, but who's counting.

There are only 2 reasons a team's own FA has not signed:

(1) They did not offer him a contract. We've not heard any such rumor in Kuhn's case whereas we have in others.

(2) The player did not like the offer that was given.

I suspect it is (2). Kuhn's got a ring; he might be trying to parlay that All Pro designation into something more that a $1 million in what might be his last contract.

If somebody makes Kuhn a better offer than what's on the table, Thompson might sweeten his offer as has been reported in other instances. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

As a point of reference, the NFL veteran minimum for a guy of Kuhn's tenure is $870,000. The long snapper will be making $895, 000 this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Richardson is a great young backup safety. I like to see him stay. Barclay too, unless the knee is lingering damage, or a mid-rounder this year looks better than him. Speculation, he healed good if packers tendered him...

Kuhn, Bush. I wouldnt mind moving on. Bush was replaced by Hyde. Kuhn I think could be replaced by a TE. Why not throw richard Rodgers back there as lead blocker, the two times a game we run the I up the gut? We get a few mil salary cap back, and an extra roster spot, if we can manage that trick...

Kuhn still has value as a lead blocker and I wouldn´t mind bringing him back for a deal close to the veteran´s minimum. Rodgers would have to signficantly improve his blocking to replace him in that position. I would be fine with re-signing Bush for a similar deal as he provides great special teams play.

Let Kuhn walk and draft Jawston Fowler from Alabama in the late rounds (Lacy's FB in College)

There´s no reason to spend a draft pick on an unknown FB as long as Kuhn is an option.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the deal with Barclay and Richardson? They were given the qualifying offer so they have a certain time period to shop around or accept the offer? If another team gives them an offer then TT gets a chance to match?

D

Deleted member 6794

What is the deal with Barclay and Richardson? They were given the qualifying offer so they have a certain time period to shop around or accept the offer? If another team gives them an offer then TT gets a chance to match?

The Packers offered both Barclay and Richardson the low round tender at $1.542 million. Both are free to negotiate with other teams but the Packers have the chance to match any offer sheet they might agree to. If Thompson decides not to do so the Packers will receive a draft pick corresponding to the round in which the player was originally drafted. With Barclay and Richardson both going undrafted in 2012 the Packers would receive nothing in return.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect both to be back. Richardson is nice to have, but I don't think he's shown anything that will make other teams want to swoop in and sign him for more and coming off an injury for Barclay with limited action/results I doubt anybody seems him as more than guy they can use to plug in for a short time if he's back to 100% and the team that will know that best is the Packers.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barclay is pretty important. He is a solid backup and he seems to be "in the club" with the O-line starters. Wasn't he even in the movie with them?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers already started using TEs in the backfield. The writing was on the wall for Kuhn.

Barclay is important as we saw last year. Bulaga doesn't not have a clear health history and we saw what happened last year when he went down. I hope that Tretter or someone else can be that guy, but I'd feel better if Barclay was in camp and in competition for the top backup spot. There's nothing wrong with a veteran backup on the OL. In fact I would prefer it.

I like Sean Richardson and think that he has value, so like the others I think that you sign Barclay and possibly Richardson and then move on. Bush would be nice but not if we are sacrificing good young talent at another position. If it's just to hang onto a drafted 6th or 7th round player, I'd rather have Bush.

Members online

Latest posts