Reggie White's #92 will be retired by the Packers

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has just been announced by WTAQ Radio-Green Bay on their newscast : The Green Bay Packers announced Reggie White's #92 will be retired in a ceremony during the Packer's 1st home game of the season against the Lions Sunday. September 11th, 2005---This is 5th Packer player to have his number retired. A great tribute to very Great Green Bay Packer Football player and Future Hall of Famer in Canton .If my count is right, he will be the 21st Green Bay Packer enshrined there.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do they already have his name painted on the ring inside Lambeau?
There's so many things to do this year - and be involved in..... I don't know where to start...

I can just imagine how much Reggie's Jerseys will be going for after this.. eh?
My fav photo will be uploaded when I get home into my PHOTO ALBUM... look for it.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He can't go on the ring until next year I don't think. He's not eligible for the Hall until next offseason which is a prerequisite of being in the ring of honour. #92 will be in the North End Zone this season though and well deserved I might add.

OP
OP
P

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish to correct my original posting. The ceremony with take place at the Packer's first home game against the Cleveland Browns on Sunday September 18 at 3;15 pm. Of coarse, the Packers will play the Detriot Lions on Sunday December 11th at 7;30 pm. Sorry about that mistake.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He really wasn't with the Packers that long, but his impact sure was huge the time he was here. His play on the field was great, but it was also big the way he'd sometimes convince other players to come to Green Bay.

I wasn't sure if the Packers were ever going to be able to retire it, because I thought I read somewhere last year that the league was trying to cut down on teams retiring numbers. Good to see that the Packers are able to retire it.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say one thing, AZ - The whole time Reggie White was with the Eagles - I don't think they were ever gonna get anywhere near the SuperBowl... and it just eats at those fans every time they hear his name!

OP
OP
P

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan's-Indeed the N.F.L. sent a memo advising teams to stop the retiring numbers of players, because N.F.L. thought there would be a shortage of numbers someday. However, some teams have retired upwards of 16 numbers, the Packers but four, now 5 with Reggie's number going to be retired. The first four were the great Don Hutson, thePackers first super Star and offensive End (proto type of the modern wide receiver.) Tony Canedeo, the first Packer running back to gain a 1,000 yards in single season when N.F.L. played less games that now, Bart Starr, and Ray Nitschke of the great Packer glory year's teams coached by Vince Lombardi. Now, Reggie White join the company of those very great Packer players named above. Reggie White during his last trip to Green Bay was told by Bob Harlan, he number was going to be retired in '05, the Packers are just carrying through with their promise to him. He will be honored by being enshrined in N.F.L. Hall of Fame in Canton and the Packer Hall of Fame at Lambeau Field when the five year retirement from the N.F.L. waiting period expires. He deserves all honors, what a Football Player!! Brett Farve "Good ole #4" will be next in line for this honor. Perhaps the greatest Packer player in history and the best all around Q.B. in Packer History. It is always hard to say the best in history about a player. There are always so many variables such as Bart Starr had a dynasty team of 60's playing with him with Many Hall of Famers and all Pros when there was no salary Cap and Free Agency. The same group was together for almost the whole eight year run. It is hard to compare football players one pro football era with another era. Maybe I should just say The 5 were all very great Packer players and leave it at that!!

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
I'll say one thing, AZ - The whole time Reggie White was with the Eagles - I don't think they were ever gonna get anywhere near the SuperBowl... and it just eats at those fans every time they hear his name!

I agree. I just never got the impression that Randall Cunningham would be able to lead the Eagles to a Super Bowl. Cunningham could make some amazing plays with his physical talent, but he never seemed like much of a leader to me, and he would sometimes wilt under pressure.

White might have had similar thoughts the way he bragged up Favre's toughness when he came to Green Bay.

Members online

Latest posts