Reggie White’s 92 set to join select few ex-Packers

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Andy Nelesen said:
Halfway through the Green Bay Packers game against the Cleveland Browns, the team will do something it has done only four times in 87 years: Retire a number.

Reggie White’s No. 92 will be added to the short list of numbers never to be worn again in Titletown. White’s number will become the fifth added to the ranks of the retired, which already includes Tony Canadeo’s No. 3, Don Hutson’s No. 14, Bart Starr’s No. 15 and Ray Nitschke’s No. 66.

Here’s a look at Reggie White … by the numbers.

0 — NFL teams with a better overall regular-season record since 1993, when White joined the Green & Gold.

2 — Teams that will retire White’s No. 92 this season. The Philadelphia Eagles will do so at halftime of their game against the Seattle Seahawks on Dec. 5.

3 — Minutes of video montage planned for Sunday’s ceremony to honor White and his family.

3 — Sacks recorded by White during Packers’ Super Bowl XXXI victory, a Super Bowl record.

4 — Packers players with retired numbers who are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. White becomes eligible to be elected in February.

5 — Other players who have worn No. 92 for the Packers. They are: defensive tackle Rich Dimler, defensive ends Matt Koart and Ben Thomas, tackle Steve Collier and nose tackle John Jurkovic.

9 — Digits will hang on Lambeau Field’s north facade after the team unveils White’s “92.â€

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reggie White deserves every accolade there is to be given...

nose tackle John Jurkovic.

I also remember this guy... Hated to see him leave over that injury... tough loss, too!

Reggie White was one-of-a-kind - something to be cherished!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman wanted the team to honor Reggie's memory through their play on Sunday. Many probably don't care as much as we do about the impact he had on the league and the team, but I hope it inspires them at least a little bit to pick up their play.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This better get the emotions going from every single Packer. If it doesn't, I want to check the pulse of this team.

I can't wait for Sunday.

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Reggie White deserves every accolade there is to be given...

nose tackle John Jurkovic.

I also remember this guy... Hated to see him leave over that injury... tough loss, too!

Reggie White was one-of-a-kind - something to be cherished!
I attended the last game played in Milwaukee in December right before the holiday. The pack needed to beat the Falcons to move into the Playoffs. We made a large Banner and hung it on the wall behind the teams benches. It said "I'M DREAMING OF A WHITE CHRISTMAS #92" Reggie came over after warm ups and pointed at us and said, "I hope you all have a Blessed Christmas". What a great memory and MAN. The Pack won and everybody got their present early!

I talked to Jurkovic last year at the Bears Training camp (he does sports radio for a Chicago station). I told him that the play from the Cowboys that chop blocked him and ended his career sucked and I thought that they would go and win the Superbowl that year. He stated they didn't have the horses to finish the race, that there were just too many injuries by then. Pretty honest guy also. Didn't seem he wanted to talk 'bout the injury too much. Never got his ring maybe . He likes soccer and admired Pele.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is hard to fathom White's influence on the team because he was not only a great player and leader, he was also a great ambassador. We were so very fortunate to have him.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A fitting tribute to a great player. Philadelphia still thinks of him as one of their own so he gets double the honors.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
It is hard to fathom White's influence on the team because he was not only a great player and leader, he was also a great ambassador. We were so very fortunate to have him.
Right now? On this year's Team? Someone had better step up like Reggie did...

And, to me... that person should be Brett Favre. He no longer should remain neutral.
The Team needs someone.. and he's had the Leadership position for many years now...
Sittin' on the sidelines over this and treatin it like it's just a job on this issue at this level.. ?

.....Is just plain wrong. I think even his Dad would tell him so!
It's time he emulated Reggie White and brought back the spirit....

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
PackerTraxx said:
Right now? On this year's Team? Someone had better step up like Reggie did...

And, to me... that person should be Brett Favre. He no longer should remain neutral.
The Team needs someone.. and he's had the Leadership position for many years now...
Sittin' on the sidelines over this and treatin it like it's just a job on this issue at this level.. ?

.....Is just plain wrong. I think even his Dad would tell him so!
It's time he emulated Reggie White and brought back the spirit....
Nice to see a Packer fan speak the truth about Favre. I always thought that he lacked that aspect in his game. It is the reason that I put players like Elway ahead of him as far as great Quaterbacks go. The Michael Strahan thing left a bitter taste with me about Favre as a professional. He has the numbers but he sometimes seems to get fired up only after HE throws a TD pass. Act like you give a damn once in a while.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One wonders, PHIL... at times... whether Favre really has the make-up of a good Leader.

Truth is.. he comes by it naturally, whether he fully realizes it or not.
I can smell the entire flavor of the Packers changing the minute Favre steps up and leads like a General that he is...

His response has always been that this is a job and these are grown men - they should already understand the concept and "**** be bringin it, Hoss" is the order of the day.. without anyone having to speak a word.... or so he tells us.

I can agree on that point of view, if it were just about any other labor of love out there... BUT IT's NOT.

All my life, I've always seen the QB position as the Leader's spot.
Reggie White saved Brett from having to take on that responsibility.
Maybe he shouldn't have...

Brett's the top QB on this Team... and these Players would lay down and die for him out there.. at least I think they would. You can taste it when they speak about Brett to other Sports Writers, etc. Would they blame him for the losses? Somewhat..sure! But, more like... they'd all take it hard(er) for letting the Leader down.. unless of course, it's like that Rams game with the INT's flyin all over the field.

I think you get what I'm sayin.....

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
One wonders, PHIL... at times... whether Favre really has the make-up of a good Leader.

Truth is.. he comes by it naturally, whether he fully realizes it or not.
I can smell the entire flavor of the Packers changing the minute Favre steps up and leads like a General that he is...

His response has always been that this is a job and these are grown men - they should already understand the concept and "**** be bringin it, Hoss" is the order of the day.. without anyone having to speak a word.... or so he tells us.

I can agree on that point of view, if it were just about any other labor of love out there... BUT IT's NOT.

All my life, I've always seen the QB position as the Leader's spot.
Reggie White saved Brett from having to take on that responsibility.
Maybe he shouldn't have...

Brett's the top QB on this Team... and these Players would lay down and die for him out there.. at least I think they would. You can taste it when they speak about Brett to other Sports Writers, etc. Would they blame him for the losses? Somewhat..sure! But, more like... they'd all take it hard(er) for letting the Leader down.. unless of course, it's like that Rams game with the INT's flyin all over the field.

I think you get what I'm sayin.....
Are the Packer players willing to lie down and die for Favre because he is their leader, or because the guy playing behind him gives them little chance of winning? I am not saying that you have to be a rah rah type of guy and ware you heart on your sleeve. He has carried the Packers many times on his ability alone. He has also cost them some crucial games with his "fling it up for grabs Hoss" attitude. Too many people bust their *** for one player to **** it away while grinning about it. That little flip pass that he made in the playoffs instead of diving for the gain spoke volumes about his approach. The stupid grin on his face afterward was inappropriate. Handing a player for the other team a sack and then patting him on the butt is wrong no matter how you look at it. How do you think the linemen who have protected his *** for so many games felt about that one?

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Back in the the good ol' days of 1997(Willie Davis on the right). I look forward to getting a Super Bowl in this century.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
He has also cost them some crucial games with his "fling it up for grabs Hoss" attitude. Too many people bust their *** for one player to **** it away while grinning about it. That little flip pass that he made in the playoffs instead of diving for the gain spoke volumes about his approach. The stupid grin on his face afterward was inappropriate. Handing a player for the other team a sack and then patting him on the butt is wrong no matter how you look at it. How do you think the linemen who have protected his *** for so many games felt about that one?

I agree that Favre gets a free pass way too often. But on the other hand, he's earned that free pass more often than not. Personally, I love Brett Favre but I don't want to see him go out on a bad note. I still think he can get the job done but our coaches have to do a better job of protecting him. Passing 44 times every game is going to force him into retirement. He's gonna get killed.

Members online

Latest posts