Reggie Nelson

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Here's a little bit...

I didn't know much myself until I read this, but if you scroll to the bottom, there's a blurb on Reggie Nelson. Sounds like a future stud.

Thanks. He sounds like the kind of player we are hoping Nick Collins becomes. Could he be TOO MUCH like Collins, i.e., more of a strong safety type rather than a free safety? That's the one doubt I have after reading about him. Here's another write-up:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/reggie_nelson.html

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
pack_in_black said:
Here's a little bit...

I didn't know much myself until I read this, but if you scroll to the bottom, there's a blurb on Reggie Nelson. Sounds like a future stud.

Thanks. He sounds like the kind of player we are hoping Nick Collins becomes. Could he be TOO MUCH like Collins, i.e., more of a strong safety type rather than a free safety? That's the one doubt I have after reading about him. Here's another write-up:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/reggie_nelson.html

ummm if collins is starting at free satey, then the packers would start nelson at ss. that is the position we need filled on defence SS. and why do you see nick collins as SS anyways?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Collins was a SS his rookie year. He moved over to FS last season and I believe that's part of the reason why he had trouble adjusting early on.

Nelson would play SS. He can play either FS or SS. He's very similar to Collins in some ways. Nelson like Collins is versatile enough to play either FS or SS. I think he'd work out at either spot. I also think Nelson is versatile enough to cover the slot WR one on one. However with Nelson your not going to get that potential big play making Safety like Ed Reed.

Your going to get a player that could end up being very solid. Now with someone like Ginn, Lynch, or Jarrett you have the potential to end up with something really special but Ginn for example is not even close to being a “polished“ NFL receiver. It's a tough choice. I believe if Lynch is there he has to be the pick because I think he has top 10 value. Otherwise I'd like to see the Packers move down.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelson would play SS. He can play either FS or SS. He's very similar to Collins in some ways. Nelson like Collins is versatile enough to play either FS or SS. I think he'd work out at either spot. I also think Nelson is versatile enough to cover the slot WR one on one. However with Nelson your not going to get that potential big play making Safety like Ed Reed.
I don't know what games you watched, but I'd call Nelson more of a home run hitter than a consistent player.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
I don't know what games you watched, but I'd call Nelson more of a home run hitter than a consistent player.

Every player that is picked in the 1st round is going to look like a “home run hitter” in college. Jamal Reynolds looked like a “home run hitter” in college. If you believe Reggie Nelson has the potential to be a “home run hitter” than when you make a mock he should be going to the Atlanta Falcons at the latest and is out of the question gone when the Green Bay Packers select.

A “home run hitter” especially at safety is a top 10 pick and sometimes top 5. The only thing close to a “home run hitter” at safety this year is Laron Landry whom I believe will end up going to Houston or Atlanta right now. I read he was not a good student and that makes sense as he was a Junior College Transfer to Florida. He also doesn’t have ideal size for a Safety either. A pretty good tackler but not on the level as Roy Williams was coming out. Michael Huff went #7 to the Oakland Raiders last year and Nelson won’t grade out as good as Huff. Some didn't believe Huff was an "elite" safety either. As a prospect he doesn't appear to have that type of potential but then again so didn't Tom Brady which is why I bring up the "hit and miss" game of the Draft so often.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you really think Landry is more of a home run hitter than Nelson? I saw each of them about 3 or 4 times this year and I totally disagree.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you really think Landry is more of a home run hitter than Nelson? I saw each of them about 3 or 4 times this year and I totally disagree.

I don't think either or is a "home run hitter" but I think Landry is a better prospect coming out. He's more experience than Nelson. Has better size. Can play the run better than Nelson and I think he does a better job in coverage. I think Landry is one of the most instinctive players in this Draft as well. The big question with Landry is his speed. If Nelson runs .2 faster than Landry then I believe he has a chance to go before him. However I don’t think Nelson is that much faster. We’ll see this weekend at the Combine.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts