Records

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For everyone who thinks the teams record really matters once you get into the playoffs, check out the last 5 years in the NFC. 4 out of the last 5 years the NFC Champion has had at least 6 losses. 2 of the teams were 9-7 and 2 were 10-6.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
You forgot 1 being 13-3 that actually won the Super Bowl.

I don't buy into this mess.

15-1 or 9-7, it wouldn't have made a difference when your defense is ranked 32nd.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Playoffs are about who peaks at the right time and who has the momentum on their side when it counts. Records don't matter.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
records don't matter? First of all you can't get into the playoffs without winning a certain number of games. Home field advantage, which IS an advantage despite what the packers have shown lately, is huge and based upon records. Also, getting into a winning state of mind during the regular season usually carries over into the post-season. Don't get caught up in a few years out of decades of a sport. Smaller sample sizes can lead to brief trends or coincidendences. The record during the regular season is important. Does the record win a playoff game? No, but winning 15 games during the regular season and having home field should get you to the super bowl way more often than it won't.

ARod

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what if the Pats win with the 31st ranked defense? I still say we could have won that game if we had played our game.
If our defense was ranked 5th overall, I say we would've won that game. If the Pats do indeed win, it won't be because their defense is ranked 31st, it will be in spite of that fact. And just like us, if their offense decides to lay an egg, their defense won't be there to help them.

While I do think that we could've won that game if our offense was on fire, we should be making it harder for opposing teams to shut us down. As it stands, they only have to shut down half of the team to have a shot at a W, which is far easier to do than having to shut down the whole team.

OP
OP
JacobInFlorida

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
records don't matter? First of all you can't get into the playoffs without winning a certain number of games. Home field advantage, which IS an advantage despite what the packers have shown lately, is huge and based upon records. Also, getting into a winning state of mind during the regular season usually carries over into the post-season. Don't get caught up in a few years out of decades of a sport. Smaller sample sizes can lead to brief trends or coincidendences. The record during the regular season is important. Does the record win a playoff game? No, but winning 15 games during the regular season and having home field should get you to the super bowl way more often than it won't.

It's not that they don't matter completely. I just remember so many people last year that said something to the effect of "who cares if we back into the playoffs at 10-6, we'll be one and done anyway". Recent history shows us that we should never have that attitude, nor should we think we're headed to the Super Bowl just because we have a good regular season.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
So

So what if the Pats win with the 31st ranked defense? I still say we could have won that game if we had played our game.
Well if you watched the game between the Pats and Ravens you would know who should have won that game. The best team on the field is not always the one that wins. One play can turn the game. It will be interesting to see how the Pats do against the Giants on a neutral field.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, records are important to get you into the playoffs, but it doesn't save you once you are there. The best record in football doesn't always win you the Superbowl. The Patriots ('08) and now the Packers ('11) can testify to that. Southpaw hit the nail on the head, it's about who peaks at the right time and right now that team is the Giants. Their season, into the playoffs and current, mirrors the Packers season from last year. But, I think records do matter in terms of winning your division, 1st round bye and securing home field advantage. So, yes, it helps you get there (SB), but I think you need more than a solid winning record to win the SB.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
If our defense was ranked 5th overall, I say we would've won that game. If the Pats do indeed win, it won't be because their defense is ranked 31st, it will be in spite of that fact. And just like us, if their offense decides to lay an egg, their defense won't be there to help them.

While I do think that we could've won that game if our offense was on fire, we should be making it harder for opposing teams to shut us down. As it stands, they only have to shut down half of the team to have a shot at a W, which is far easier to do than having to shut down the whole team.
I wholeheartedly argee we need to improve our defense but remember that the D got two 3 and outs in the 3rd quarter of the game and we were only able to get 3 points out of that quarter. you take away the hail mary and the fumbles and its a different game if our offense is on.

Our D needs to improve but to go to the big show next year it doesnt even need to be a top 5 D. Although I think we are only a couple of players away from being that top 5 D. It will be an interesting off season. Still more interesting will be how Neal and So'oto, Shields and Burnett do next year. They may make a big jump.

Members online

Latest posts