Reasons Why Favre is Better Than Marino

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A super bowl ring, mvps, national admiration from all walks of life, not just football fans.

I'll give Dan this though, his part in Ace Ventura was better than Brett's part in Something About Mary.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A super bowl ring, mvps, national admiration from all walks of life, not just football fans.

I'll give Dan this though, his part in Ace Ventura was better than Brett's part in Something About Mary.

Brett Favre looked so stiff in Something about Mary, whereas Marino was actually decent in Ace Ventura.

GBP - I use straight up statistics to prove your point if you'd like.

Reasons I chose - Favre was better at breaking tackles and avoiding sacks. Marino was a total pocket passer, had no mobility. He did however have a fast release which helped him avoid sacks. Favre is learning that fast release, but he's still more apt at avoiding sacks because he's so physically strong. He's been known to send would-be tacklers flying off. I'm sure you've seen the footage.

Favre is famous for making something out of nothing. He's really good at that. When the play breaks down, there are times when the D gets greedy and goes after Favre. Favre waits until the D drops coverage of a receiver and makes something happen.

I hate comparing the 2 though, because Marino's probably my favorite non-Packer QB. He had a lot of heart, and I don't think he's ever had a decent D. I'd take Marino over P Manning any day of the week. Manning always had more complete teams than Marino, and Marino was Manning before Manning.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre also played in frigid Green Bay Wisconsin where the weather is much less favorable for passers than sunny Miami. Also, building off of what others talked about in terms of Favre turning nothing into something, Favre makes throws that other quarterbacks, even the greats, wouldn't attempt in their dreams. For instance, that TD to Driver last year against Miami between two defenders. Any other quarterback throws that away, but Favre has the cajones to gun it in there.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Played in the elements; played with largely unspectacular WRs (some nice ones to be sure, but only recently great ones in any number); and, the reason one can make the arguement for best of all time, ever....he has played at a very hight level in the latter years of his career....something Elway, Montana, Unitas and others have failed to do. At least up to the level that Favre has.

And then there is that pesky little thing called "The Streak". Dude never missed a start! Possibly THE most amazing aspect of his illistrius career.

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
kmac said:
I honestly have no legit arguments. Favre is amazing, Marino was better

Why?

Yeah why? What's so great about Marino? He's obviously the model QB, but what has he accomplished now that all his records are gone/

Now, as for Brett, let me start naming the reasons

Football wise, well, like everyone's said, just do the stat math. Brett's broken pretty much all of his records, simply that.

But if you're not one for stats, just think about why you like him so much. He's the most entertaining QB you'll ever watch play the game. He gets out of the pocket, he makes plays he shouldn't make, and he's still got one hell of an arm. Brett is also the ultimate iron man, hello? 253 straight games in a row, not missing a single one, and during that period fighting off painful injuries.

In general, Brett's an amazing guy. He's got a heart of gold (and a lot of green in there too :p ). He plays the game because he loves to play. People forget sometimes that football isn't work, its play, and Brett makes that statement. He's not about the stats, awards, achievements, or whatever, he just wants to win, plain and simple. He's got more passion and determination, and obviously at 38 years old, doesn't want to quit, and doesn't look like he needs to. He's just an ordinary guy seeing his dreams come true and beyond

And thats a little bit of why Brett is better :D

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok. You inspired me, Sarah.

Why is Favre better than Marino?
Games won - #1 all time
Consecutive starts - #1 all time

These are huge to me. He's an iron man. Imagine a QB who is always injured. Look at da Bears. All that talent, and they can't win the big one because they have no QB. If they had Favre last year, that would be 2 Lombardis for that team.

#1 yards all time
#1 TDs all time
#1 completions all time
#1 attempts all time

And that includes on year sitting on a bench, throwing five passes the entire year.

Stats aside - Favre is very hard to tackle. Ask any DL in the NFL who the hardest QB to sack is. Favre probably wins.

What really drives opposing DLs nuts is when they know for sure they have a sack. They have him wrapped up and he spins, they fall off, and he completes a pass for a first down. That's got to be frustrating.

Favre's arm is so strong that he can complete deep passes off balance. Watch that bomb again to Gregorious against KC. He was throwing it off his back foot. That's absolutely crazy.

Now, here's an assignment for everyone. Take a football and go out to a football field. Throw the ball as far as you can. Measure how far it went. Then do it again except off your back foot. Measure how far it went. Then you'll appreciate Favre's arm strength.

Favre is also good for morale. Look at what he has done for Koren Robinson, a very talented man who was dropped from not one, but two NFL teams. Look how productive Robinson is. 99% of the credit goes to Robinson, of course, but Favre helped.

Favre keeps players loose. When you're losing, as anyone who has played any form of any organized sport knows, teams often start pointing fingers. Teams Favre plays on don't do that, because he keeps the team loose. I've always understood the importance of morale.

It will be interesting to see who the "experts" name off when they list greatest QBs ever 10 or 20 years from now. Don't be surprised to see Brett Favre on the top of some of those lists.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those of you who felt I was just whistling dixie out of my ***, here's my full argument.

Favre broke the records for more TDs and Yards, but he also has the record for most attempts. Marino has 7.34 yards per attempt, .050 TDs per attempt, and .030 INTs per attempt. Favre has 7.04 yards per attempt, .050 TDs per attempt, and .032 INTs per attempt. While extremely, extremely close, Marino is statistically better. The total yards, TDs, and INTs are completely irrelevant. If totals matter, than Craig Biggio is a better 2nd Baseman than Jackie Robinson.

You can argue that Favre's durability puts him over the top, and that would be a legit argument. However, I would argue that the Packers offensive lines of the 90s were better than the Dolphins, and that Brett had to take 7 step drops, and therefore, big hits less often than Marino, as Brett played in a West Coast offense and Marino played in a more "traditional," at the time, downfield passing offense. While no Favre in durability, Marino started all 16 games 11 times, which is still very impressive. He wasn't exactly a china doll.

As for the Super Bowl, I think it's an absurd argument. Championships have never been, nor will they ever be an individual statistic. Favre was on better teams with better defenses his whole career.

So, in conclusion, I believe that Marino is better, but it is extremely close.

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
Ok. You inspired me, Sarah.

Why is Favre better than Marino?
Games won - #1 all time
Consecutive starts - #1 all time

These are huge to me. He's an iron man. Imagine a QB who is always injured. Look at da Bears. All that talent, and they can't win the big one because they have no QB. If they had Favre last year, that would be 2 Lombardis for that team.

#1 yards all time
#1 TDs all time
#1 completions all time
#1 attempts all time

And that includes on year sitting on a bench, throwing five passes the entire year.

Stats aside - Favre is very hard to tackle. Ask any DL in the NFL who the hardest QB to sack is. Favre probably wins.

What really drives opposing DLs nuts is when they know for sure they have a sack. They have him wrapped up and he spins, they fall off, and he completes a pass for a first down. That's got to be frustrating.

Favre's arm is so strong that he can complete deep passes off balance. Watch that bomb again to Gregorious against KC. He was throwing it off his back foot. That's absolutely crazy.

Now, here's an assignment for everyone. Take a football and go out to a football field. Throw the ball as far as you can. Measure how far it went. Then do it again except off your back foot. Measure how far it went. Then you'll appreciate Favre's arm strength.

Favre is also good for morale. Look at what he has done for Koren Robinson, a very talented man who was dropped from not one, but two NFL teams. Look how productive Robinson is. 99% of the credit goes to Robinson, of course, but Favre helped.

Favre keeps players loose. When you're losing, as anyone who has played any form of any organized sport knows, teams often start pointing fingers. Teams Favre plays on don't do that, because he keeps the team loose. I've always understood the importance of morale.

It will be interesting to see who the "experts" name off when they list greatest QBs ever 10 or 20 years from now. Don't be surprised to see Brett Favre on the top of some of those lists.

I'm glad! I have some more to add to the pot...

If you even want to look at it this way, look at Brett just as a guy himself. We know he has a dying devotion to on the field work, but think about the things he does off the field. He runs a foundation that donates over $1 mil a year to youth groups and special education programs in Wisconsin and Mississippi. Also, Brett has helped Deanna create her amazing foundation for aiding Breast Cancer patients who do not have the funds to pay for their treatments. Brett also just received an award from the Make A Wish foundation for granting over, I think they said something like 60 wishes? That's remarkable for a player to take that much time to spend with children in unfortunate health circumstances. Brett has an incredible heart and is an amazing person.

So there, you get Brett Favre 101, Brett Favre 360 all around, good enough to say he's better than Marino? Ugh... I hope so

The_Butler_did_it

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that from a pure passing perspective Marino and Favre are very close...probably even an edge to Marino. However what seperates Favre from Marino and makes him the best ever are 3 things that are all interelated.

1) Leadership - Favre by just simply being on the field makes other players play better. They see his iron man streak, see him play through pain, see his dedication to the game, and see him give 110% every play and it makes them try to imitate that level of play.

2) Iron Man - Do not underestimate the impact this has on a team. They wake up and it hurts. they want to ease off on a practice. They want to take a game off so they can heal. Then they see #4 and see he has never taken a game off. They understand what dedication it takes to play EVERY game and never come out of the game. That Leadership makes them a better player and makes them want to perform for the man who has given so much.

3) Longevity - As Marino's career came to an end their was a steady erosion of his skills. Yet at 38 Favre has statistically what could be his best season. That ability to play that many games, to play every game every play, and still have numbers average that close to Marino is amazing. In those games when most quarterbacks would not be playing his stat's should be worse. Yet Favre has the ability to overcome and in many cases has had tremendous games when he had injuries. The bad ankle games, the year of the thumb, the td's after taking serious hits, and I could go on.

Those 3 factors, all interelated, make Favre the best quaterback to ever play the game. The ability to lead and make the whole team, offense and defense , play better seperates him from the best of the rest.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marino's favorite receiver? Mark Clayton.

Favre's favorite receiver? Robert Brooks, Sterling Sharpe, Antonio Freeman, Donald Driver, Javon Walker, Donald Driver...

BadKarma

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(Note: This list documents records set by Dan Marino. Some of the records have since been broken.)

Most Attempts, Career: 8,358 (later surpassed by Brett Favre in 2007)
Most Completions, Career: 4,967 (later surpassed by Brett Favre in 2006)
Most Yards Passing, Career: 61,361 (later surpassed by Brett Favre in 2007)
Most Touchdown Passes, Career: 420 (later surpassed by Brett Favre in 2007)
Most Passing Yards, Season: 5,084 in 1984
Most Touchdown Passes, Season: 48 (later surpassed by Peyton Manning (49) in 2004 and by Tom Brady (50) in 2007)
Most Games, 400 or more Yards Passing, Career: 13
Most Games, 400 or more Yards Passing, Season: 4 in 1984
Most Games, 300 or more Yards Passing, Career: 63
Most Seasons, 3,000 or more Yards Passing: 13 (1984-92, 1994-95, 1997-98) (later surpassed by Brett Favre in 2005)
Most Consecutive Seasons, 3,000 or more Yards Passing: 9 (1984-92) (later surpassed by Brett Favre in 2001)
Most Games, Four or more Touchdown Passes, Career: 21
Most Games, Four or more Touchdown Passes, Season: 6 in 1984
Most Games, Three or more Touchdown Passes, Career: 62 (later surpassed by Brett Favre in 2007)
Lowest Percentage, Passes Intercepted, Rookie Season: 2.03 in 1983 (296-6) [later surpassed by Charlie Batch, Detroit, 1.98 in 1998 (303-6)]
Most Seasons Leading League, Attempts: 5 (1984, 1986, 1988, 1992, 1997)
Most Seasons Leading League, Completions: 6 (1984-86, 1988, 1992, 1997)
Most Seasons, 40 or more Touchdown Passes: 2 (1984, 1986)
100 TD Passes in Fewest Number of Games to Start Career: 44 (9/7/1986 at San Diego)
200 TD passes in Fewest Number of Games to Start Career: 89 (9/17/1989 at New England)
300 TD passes in Fewest Number of Games to Start Career: 157 (9/4/1994 vs. New England)
Highest TD-INT differential: +168

There you go. Oh Yeah, Brett WON A SUPERBOWL. << that's Huge!
Marino was great and comes from a famous city known as the birthplace of Great Pro QB's. That city?

Pittsburgh,Pa. ;)

Dont thank me, I'm a giver. It's what I do.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(Note: This list documents records set by Dan Marino. Some of the records have since been broken.)

Most Touchdown Passes, Season: 48 (later surpassed by Peyton Manning (49) in 2004 and by Tom Brady (50) in 2007)
Most Seasons, 3,000 or more Yards Passing: 13 (1984-92, 1994-95, 1997-98) (later surpassed by Brett Favre in 2005)
Most Consecutive Seasons, 3,000 or more Yards Passing: 9 (1984-92) (later surpassed by Brett Favre in 2001)
Most Games, Three or more Touchdown Passes, Career: 62 (later surpassed by Brett Favre in 2007)
Lowest Percentage, Passes Intercepted, Rookie Season: 2.03 in 1983 (296-6) [later surpassed by Charlie Batch, Detroit, 1.98 in 1998 (303-6)]
100 TD Passes in Fewest Number of Games to Start Career: 44 (9/7/1986 at San Diego)
200 TD passes in Fewest Number of Games to Start Career: 89 (9/17/1989 at New England)
300 TD passes in Fewest Number of Games to Start Career: 157 (9/4/1994 vs. New England)

Marino was great and comes from a famous city known as the birthplace of Great Pro QB's. That city?

Pittsburgh,Pa. ;)

Out of curiosity, I wonder how many of those records belonged to Fran Tarkington before Marino broke them.

V

Vikeman

You can't compare the two. Two totally different QB's. Marino is the best pure passer to ever play. Favre has intangibles though...3 MVP's and a ring. I don't think Marino was ever given the supporting cast. No # 1 defense, no running back, Duper & Clayton were average to above average. Marino entered the league and smashed the record books. Alot of his records still stand today. Sad he never got the ring, but he is still the best I have ever seen throw a football. Both are fun and are hall of famers...but I got take Marino in his prime...that's not a Viking fan talking, just a football fan.

V

Vikeman

BadKarma said:

Pittsburgh,Pa. ;)

Out of curiosity, I wonder how many of those records belonged to Fran Tarkington before Marino broke them.

Goes to show you how good Tarkenton was. He is still at the top of the list in many passing categories. That fact alone proves the guy was great. Another sad story of a "great" player without a ring.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goes to show you how good Tarkenton was. He is still at the top of the list in many passing categories. That fact alone proves the guy was great. Another sad story of a "great" player without a ring.

He needed an OL more than he needed a ring. I'm surprised he survived all those seasons. I'm 37, so I only saw his later years, but watching highlights, he was running for his life the whole game.

I'm glad he's a successful businessman now. He even published a book on business. I haven't read it though.