1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Reality of GOOD ILBers

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers Fan Forum' started by PackinMSP, Oct 22, 2019.

1. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    The really good news is his passer rating against has improved from 118 last season to 108 this year according to pro-football-reference. :whistling:

2019: 1 forced fumble, no INTs, no passes defended, 1 sack, 3 tackles for loss, lots of late clean-up tackling, not much impact.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  2. Half Empty

Half Empty Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    What other kind is there? :)

3. PackinMSP

PackinMSP Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Regarding great stats for ILB, Nic Barnett had "great stats" with us when he was here but no one called him great

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. greengold

greengold Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    The ONE we really missed on was Eric Kendricks... We HAD HIM! Ted went with Randall and it likely cost us a SB. Took us years to recover from Ted's first two picks that year.

After looking up advanced stats on Kendricks, Kuechly, Wagner, Martinez, Devin Bush and Ogletree, it is clear to see we have deficiencies in coverage, allowing passer ratings around 118 vs. 80 ish. Kendricks' PDs are off the charts. Missed tackles % is very high for us with Martinez vs. many of those other players. Though, some are somehow worse... A lot of give and take, which I believe is normal.

If there is a utopia here, it would have been Kendricks, the one guy I wanted Ted to take from that draft. Damn. We needed ILB in the WORST way, and the BEST one in the draft was there for the taking. Damn Damn Double damn...!

I still believe we would fare FAR better popping Summers in there to start alongside Goodson.

5. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Unfortunately inside linebackers capable of doing that rarely last into the late rounds of the draft.

There's no denying there are better inside linebackers in the league than Martinez, but most of them aren't available for the Packers to sign.

The Packers shouldn't re-sign Martinez to a deal averaging several millions a season considering the way he has performed so far in 2019.

Olivadotti hasn't been given enough talent to work with, his job shouldn't be in danger.

6. PackinMSP

PackinMSP Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Yes i know, the point of this thread was that these guys don't just "grow on trees"

It's really difficult to get guys who are that good

Obviously it would be awesome if we could draft a guy who played safety in college and "mold" him into the next Brian Urlacher

We tried that with Nic Barnett, and although he was "okay", he wasn't really that good

The other thing is that we play a 3-4. A 4-3 ILB is probably "easier" to find, I would imagine, than a 3-4 ILB. Just my guess.

7. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    That's hardly a factor as the Packers play less than 30% of the snaps in their base defense.

8. mradtke66

mradtke66 Cheesehead

Meh.

3-4 ILBs are more or less a 4-3 Middle and Weak-Outside linebacker. Not appreciably different. They have very similar alignments, responsibilities, etc.