Read this... I have faith in Edgar...

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I read this article this morning and it kept comming back to me as I am working away... Edgar has the attitude that will get this group, no matter the makeup of players, ready to play this season. We might not be a league leader on the ground, but we will have a group that is ready to play.

The last couple of sentences put me at ease moreso... protection first then run the damn ball.

PS... if this was posted someplace... my aplogizes to those that posted it...

In Edgar We Trust....

Green Bay - Edgar Bennett seems no worse for the wear. Eyes look rested. Voice isn't cracking. Not a hint of gray. No telltale signs that his unit is clearly cursed, except when the 38-year-old gets asked (quite frequently) if he could still suit up.

Yet it doesn't matter how many of his men go down with injury. It doesn't matter who they give him next - a rookie, a street free agent, heck, a linebacker - he'll have to find a way to get someone ready for the season opener against Philadelphia.

"I look at it this way - I get to do what I enjoy doing," said Bennett. "It's just at an accelerated pace."

It's not like this is new or anything.

The 2005 season, Bennett's first as a coach, was a disaster for the running backs. Losing Chaz Williams for the season in training camp was just hint of the misery to come. Ahman Green ruptured his quadriceps tendon and landed on injured reserve. Najeh Davenport broke his ankle and was lost for the year. The only running back to both start and end the season on the roster was Tony Fisher and even he missed playing time with broken ribs.

Then there was Samkon Gado, a street free agent who filled in valiantly under Bennett's tutelage - until he sprained a knee ligament, landing him on injured reserve.

At least then Bennett could rely on the veteran leadership of fullback William Henderson.

But in 2005, the Packers gained just 1,352 yards total on the ground, the fifth lowest production total in team history, and the lowest in 50 years. It was worse than the running droughts the team experienced in 1988, '90 and '91.

The Packers staggered to a 4-12 finish. A dozen coaches from that staff were fired, but Bennett was retained. His ability to adjust and survive in the middle of total collapse did not go unnoticed.

"I mean the guy does a great job, he does a fantastic job getting those guys ready," said Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin.

After improvement last year (1,663 team rushing yards), Bennett was really looking forward to this season. He still is, even given the hurdles that have been placed before him:

• Losing Green to Houston in free agency and Henderson to contract termination

• Not getting a first round draft pick

• Losing second round pick Brandon Jackson for a whole minicamp because of a mandatory NFL promotion in Los Angeles

• Vernand Morency hurting his knee the first day of training camp and proceeding to miss all of it

• Draft pick DeShawn Wynn and fullback Brandon Miree both getting hurt and missing the greater part of training camp (Miree was released)

• Converting rookie Korey Hall from linebacker to starting fullback in time for the season opener

• A concussion to Jackson, who has since returned to the field

¦ Injury to P.J. Pope, who was released

¦ Knee injury to Noah Herron, who is lost for the entire season on IR.

"How about that," said Bennett, who just won't be deterred.

Five minutes after Ryan Grant found out he would in fact not be playing for the New York Giants but for the Packers in the wake of Herron's injury, Grant had to get over it. Bennett was ringing his phone.

"Edgar is very good at grabbing those guys," said Packers general manager Ted Thompson. "In fact he grabbed him as soon as he got off the plane and had him in a closed-door session."

It does help that Bennett wore the jersey. He is the Packers' ninth ranked rusher of all time. And before him, the Packers went almost 20 years without a 1,000-yard rusher, until Bennett had 1,067 yards in 1995.

It helps that Bennett was also once a favorite target of Brett Favre's, having caught 78 receptions in 1994, still a Packers single season record for a back. It's a big reason why Bennett also has the entire unit work extra after practice, just on catching. And when Bennett asks his players to sacrifice for the good of the team, he can point to himself - in 1996, he moved to fullback.

"There's no better way to teach a system other than you having been through it yourself already," said Jackson.

The rookie out of Nebraska may have to start Sunday against the Eagles if Morency is not fully recovered. The Packers are leaning that way, but say they're far from making a final decision. Bennett hasn't given Jackson much of a learning curve and has been brutally honest in making corrections.

"You know, he puts so much on me in the meeting rooms," said Jackson. "At times it gets to me. He drills me - 'What's this, what's that? You've got to know this, you've got to know that!' It's like, man . . . But when we're on the field, I see why. Then he comes back to me and says, 'I know you're mad,' but I am not mad. The guy is expecting a lot out of me."

Bennett's first priority with all of the backs isn't going over zone blocking, though.

"We didn't even talk about running until I hit the field," said Grant. "It was all protection."

Bennett said he will bench even a highly productive runner, if he can't protect Favre.

After solid protection, Bennett would like to see more rushing touchdowns.

"They equate wins," said Bennett.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good article...

i like it when articles come out directly addressing issues that scare some packer fans. While this might not make you feel warm and fuzzy about the run game... it should console you a little bit at least.

me im waiting until the first game when we can cut block and move freely without the limitations of pre-season. Then if we struggle against Phillys fairly solid run defense... i might become a little concerned for the rest of the season. HOWEVER... i feel confident that Edgar will have these guys ready to play (no matter whos available)... and i think it really all falls on the offensive lines production.

but like Pack93 says... IN EDGAR WE TRUST.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this a flip out article?

I'd like a good reason to flip out.

Bennett rules.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bring Dorsey out of retirement.

That and/or give Travis Jervey a ring.

:)

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
tromadz said:
Is this a flip out article?

Is that the best you can do... bait away... someone will bite...

Actually, i was just messin around, but it apparently got YOU to respond. :pop:

LOL... no actually I flipped out for about 15 minutes then I settled and posted that.. ;)

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bring back Levens...

I told him at an autograph session that we would have had two SB rings if Holmgren would have given him the ball in the 2nd half against the Broncos.

His response was, "Thanks. I know we would have." Something I don't think I'll forget because he appeared sincere when he said it.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember having faith in Larry Beightol.

I think Edgar has done quite well with what he's had to work with.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bring back Levens...

I told him at an autograph session that we would have had two SB rings if Holmgren would have given him the ball in the 2nd half against the Broncos.

His response was, "Thanks. I know we would have." Something I don't think I'll forget because he appeared sincere when he said it.

It's the truth too.

That game, and the 4th and 1 in '03 are my 2 worst memories as a Packer fan (besides Lofton leaving for the Raiders). I get sad thinking about what could have been.

I'm now sad again thinking of what could have been.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts