Ranking top NFL GM's

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no grand revelation here. Most NFL pundits always put Ted Thompson pretty high on the list. It's the Favre fans that can't and won't believe it. I'm surprised that they didn't throw the SF and SEA general managers above TT, but I think that the longevity of what he has done for Green Bay eclipses the recent success of these newer GMs.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no grand revelation here. Most NFL pundits always put Ted Thompson pretty high on the list. It's the Favre fans that can't and won't believe it. I'm surprised that they didn't throw the SF and SEA general managers above TT, but I think that the longevity of what he has done for Green Bay eclipses the recent success of these newer GMs.

This also surprised me.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have much of a problem with it. Ted keeps us competitive and in the playoffs almost every year without putting us in salary cap hell. Not many GMs can do that.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unquestionably Ted has been one of the top GM's since he came to the Packers.
I think he could be # 1 year after year if he would expand his focus beyond draft & develop.
When he did break out of his mold and got Woodson and Pickett he soon after was GM of the Year.
I'd like him to step outside the box this year in much the same way. I think it wouldn't take much to get us right back on top, if not this year, then next year. Ted's accolades (even though he publicly doesn't care) would follow.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think he could be # 1 year after year if he would expand his focus beyond draft & develop.
IMO this is an unrealistic expectation. Because of the salary cap, talent acquisition and retention is a zero sum game. Part of the success Thompson has experienced through the draft and develop system would be lost if he utilized UFA more. And just as he misses on draft choices, he would miss on UFAs, but draft choice misses - and even retention mistakes like Brad Jones (whose release would gain about $2M in cap room) are much less costly than typical UFA misses.

Don't get me wrong, I wish Thompson would be a little more active in UFA. For example, I thought acquiring a veteran safety before last season would have been a good move - that's not hindsight, I posted that before the 2013 season. And I think it would be a good idea again this off season. Where we disagree is IMO even if he were more active, I don't think he - or any GM - could be #1 year after year.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO this is an unrealistic expectation. Because of the salary cap, talent acquisition and retention is a zero sum game. Part of the success Thompson has experienced through the draft and develop system would be lost if he utilized UFA more. And just as he misses on draft choices, he would miss on UFAs, but draft choice misses - and even retention mistakes like Brad Jones (whose release would gain about $2M in cap room) are much less costly than typical UFA misses.

Don't get me wrong, I wish Thompson would be a little more active in UFA. For example, I thought acquiring a veteran safety before last season would have been a good move - that's not hindsight, I posted that before the 2013 season. And I think it would be a good idea again this off season. Where we disagree is IMO even if he were more active, I don't think he - or any GM - could be #1 year after year.
I agree about being #1 year after year.
That's just not the way the PR game is played.
I would like too see him get a couple more #1's though during the balance of Rodgers career.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other problem with wanting another Pickett or Woodson scenario, is that those are rare occurrences to find top defensive free agents for a song. If they were easy to find, every GM would be doing it. Trust me, Thompson keeps looking for those guys but lucking out with Woodson winning the DPOY and signing a Jairus Byrd are two completely different modes of free agent pursuit.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other problem with wanting another Pickett or Woodson scenario, is that those are rare occurrences to find top defensive free agents for a song. If they were easy to find, every GM would be doing it. Trust me, Thompson keeps looking for those guys but lucking out with Woodson winning the DPOY and signing a Jairus Byrd are two completely different modes of free agent pursuit.

Yep...the bottom line is that Ted is not going to make a deal for the sake of making a deal! For a FA player to get signed he's going to need to A. fill a need. B. come at a decent price. C. not be a complete ******** in the locker room.

Those three things pretty much eliminate most of the free agent field every year. Picket and Woodson deals don't come around every year.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed.

Below is a blurb about Jairus Byrd possibly signing with the Ravens, although you could easily switch Ravens to Packers and it would describe TT perfectly.
Chances of signing with Ravens: There's a report Byrd is seeking $9 million per season. The Ravens spend that type of money to keep their own players, not other teams' free agents. It would be out of character for them to make this move.

D

Deleted member 6794

Below is a blurb about Jairus Byrd possibly signing with the Ravens, although you could easily switch Ravens to Packers and it would describe TT perfectly.

Chances of signing with Ravens: There's a report Byrd is seeking $9 million per season. The Ravens spend that type of money to keep their own players, not other teams' free agents. It would be out of character for them to make this move.

I don't understand why some of you think it is wrong to sign GOOD free agents to deals that make sense (I think $9 million for Byrd would classify as such). Signing outside free agents doesn't count more against the cap than re-signing your own free agents, but it's possible to fill some holes that way when there's not enough talent on the roster.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why some of you think it is wrong to sign GOOD free agents to deals that make sense (I think $9 million for Byrd would classify as such). Signing outside free agents doesn't count more against the cap than re-signing your own free agents, but it's possible to fill some holes that way when there's not enough talent on the roster.
How familiar are you with Byrd as a person? As a team mate? How does his medical check out? What are his work habits? Is he the sort that when he cashes in big, he is going to take it easy? The only thing we as fans can look at is how they play on Sunday, and there is much more to it than that.

I am actually for signing Byrd, I am not against it. It is just an area that TT needs to use extreme caution. There are many potential ramifications within the team as well.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're missing the author's point. GMs such as Newsome and Thompson put a premium on their own guys because they are relatively known quantities. Obviously, outside FAs don't count more against the cap but there is more risk in evaluating a player's fit into the scheme, how they relate to their new teammates, coaching staff, etc.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How familiar are you with Byrd as a person? As a team mate? How does his medical check out? What are his work habits? Is he the sort that when he cashes in big, he is going to take it easy? The only thing we as fans can look at is how they play on Sunday, and there is much more to it than that.
It looks like we had the same reaction at the same time

D

Deleted member 6794

I am actually for signing Byrd, I am not against it. It is just an area that TT needs to use extreme caution. There are many potential ramifications within the team as well.

Teams can't be sure about what happens when one of their own free agents sign a long term deal either. There were and still are a lot questions how Shields will deal with the money he just got.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams can't be sure about what happens when one of their own free agents sign a long term deal either. There were and still are a lot questions how Shields will deal with the money he just got.
I agree. But you should have a much better idea on a guy that you have just spent a chunk of the last 4 years; working out; practicing; studying; etc. Additionally, think about the dynamics within the locker room. Young players look at the veterans who get resigned - getting their money. 'If I bust my butt, I'm going to be rewarded too' and they are happy for Shields. Now think about our young CBs if we pay big money to a stranger. Are they going to be less congratulatory and more jealous? Maybe start demanding a better contract? Maybe.

H

HardRightEdge

The rating is heavily weighted toward the Rodgers/Favre decisions. It took a lot of balls, and he was dead right in first drafting Rodgers and then right again in making the switch, knowing full well the latter decision would raise a sh*t storm.

It was a decade-long franchise maker decision. You know what they say...when you have an elite QB you start at 8-8 and work up from there.

The last few years have not been top 10. The drafts have been C+/B- the last few years and as a result the team, on balance, is not championship caliber even if the breaks and bounces go our way in the playoffs. The best we can say about the situation is we did not go to cap hell while treading water.

Thompson seems to have gotten a little too conservative, a little too formulaic, in the mode of "get to the playoffs and see what happens". A little creative destruction might be in order. With only 1 of 20 free agents signed to date perhaps he's come to the same conclusion.

Fans won't like it, but it looks like a 2-year plan is in order.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If Byrd gets $9 million a season, I bet his signing bonus would be huge.

Jz3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not start off my first post on these forums by starting with TT.

TT is a very good GM with building a young team through the draft. One of the best in the NFL at doing this. This is how he became a GM. He is a GM that is really a scout at heart. TT drafts very well at skill positions. TT is a overrated GM in my opinion. I feel like he doesn't even understand free agency, trades or even player contracts.

You can only do so much being one dimensional and only building through the draft. Drafted one of the greatest QBs to ever play in the NFL and we won a super bowl early and in the last 4 years we won one playoff game against Joe Webb and the Vikings.

TT is satisfied with just making the playoffs even though any team in the NFL with Rodgers at QB could make the playoffs.

I am not a fan of TT. I think you can do allot worse than TT for your GM but he is not my kind of GM. I think he is overrated. I think if TT would of been fired years ago if he didn't draft Rodgers.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not start off my first post on these forums by starting with TT.

TT is a very good GM with building a young team through the draft. One of the best in the NFL at doing this. This is how he became a GM. He is a GM that is really a scout at heart. TT drafts very well at skill positions. TT is a overrated GM in my opinion. I feel like he doesn't even understand free agency, trades or even player contracts.

You can only do so much being one dimensional and only building through the draft. Drafted one of the greatest QBs to ever play in the NFL and we won a super bowl early and in the last 4 years we won one playoff game against Joe Webb and the Vikings.

TT is satisfied with just making the playoffs even though any team in the NFL with Rodgers at QB could make the playoffs.

I am not a fan of TT. I think you can do allot worse than TT for your GM but he is not my kind of GM. I think he is overrated. I think if TT would of been fired years ago if he didn't draft Rodgers.

But he did draft Aaron Rodgers, he has won a Super Bowl and he has had this team in the playoffs every year since 2009. I respect your opinion but he is not overrated. Does he have shortcomings? Absolutely! And I am one of the biggest TT supporters out there.

His brand of GM'ing isnt for everybody but it works. He has a proven track record of success. There arent too many out there better so to call him overrated is just flat out wrong IMO.

Jz3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't be a great GM if you don't know how to use every tool given to you.

TT is a great scout.

A great GM can build and improve a team through the draft, FA and with trades.

I am a huge fan of John Schneider. Hands down best GM in the NFL and not just because he just won a super bowl. He is a better version of TT. Builds with the draft but also uses all the tools given to him to improve his team.

Without risks there is no reward. TT took risks when he started GM here and they paid off with a super bowl. Since then TT has been laid back just using the draft.

I think the jury is out on TT still this is a big off season. If I am judging TT I want to wait to after this season.

Again I don't hate TT just is not my kind of GM. You can do allot worse than TT for your GM. I don't want a GM that spends like crazy and does allot of trades. I just think your not great if you are one dimensional.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TT is a great scout.

A great GM can build and improve a team through the draft, FA and with trades.

I am a huge fan of John Schneider. Hands down best GM in the NFL and not just because he just won a super bowl. He is a better version of TT. Builds with the draft but also uses all the tools given to him to improve his team.

Without risks there is no reward. TT took risks when he started GM here and they paid off with a super bowl. Since then TT has been laid back just using the draft.

I think the jury is out on TT still this is a big off season. If I am judging TT I want to wait to after this season.

Again I don't hate TT just is not my kind of GM. You can do allot worse than TT for your GM. I don't want a GM that spends like crazy and does allot of trades. I just think your not great if you are one dimensional.

1. I agree with this for the most part although he's done a pretty damn good job only using the 1 resource for the majority of his time here.

2. Hard to say hes the "best" GM in the NFL until he's had to make some decisions. Not at all saying he hasn't done a good job, the guy just won a Super Bowl, deserves alot of credit, but I'm going to hold off judegement until he's had to deal some salary decisions. Wilson, Sherman and Thomas are going to be tough to deal with, not saying he won't be able to get it done but I'll be curious to see how that goes.

3. You're already judging TT per your "TT is a great scout" comment.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. TT has played in the NFL. Been involved with scouting for 30+ years. Has a medical staff; scouting staff; coaching staff to consult with. He built 2 SB teams using draft picks as well as FAs. Had 2 of the better FA signings in the last 10 years. But he doesn't know and understand FA as well as you.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I feel like he doesn't even understand free agency, trades or even player contracts.
Doesn’t understand them? You don’t have a single fact to back this up. Thompson believes UFA presents much more risk than rewards. Anyone can disagree with that but of course he understands it. He doesn’t understand trades? Again, that’s just foolish and I assume you aren’t talking about trading draft picks since Thompson has been as prolific trading picks as any GM. Finally he doesn’t understand player contracts? The evidence is he inherited a salary cap mess from Sherman and quickly corrected it. And since then the Packers have managed the cap as well, or better than any team in the league. Andrew Brandt was VP of player finance when Thompson became GM and Russ Ball took Brandt’s place in 2008. The constant is Thompson. Of course he understands NFL player contracts.
Another ridiculous comment IMO. Even horrible GMs like Matt Millan want to win championships; Why wouldn't they? By including these unsubstantiated statements your first post here looks a lot like the posts of Favre-fans upset with Thompson for accepting and then enforcing Favre’s retirement. I’m not saying that’s your motivation, just that this post looks like it.

Members online

Latest posts