Randall Cobb: Liability?

Wildcatk23

Repeat?
Reaction score
Believe me guys he is gonna break 1-2 of these punt returns. And he gets back to the 20 about every time so why not let him take a chance of getting a return for a TD. He was electrifying in college and still is. If you play safe you dont succeed much. I wish he would get more passes in the offense but there is just to much talent for any one receiver other than jennings.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb did call a fair catch last week, was hit by not one but TWO defenders, which drew a flag.
But the zebras realized they were in Atlanta and decided the guy was blocked into Cobb. Both of them apparently even though one of them was untouched.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
If Cobb is a liability, he's a liability every team in the NFL wishes they had. As stated before, if you have a guy like that to return it's crazy not to let him try. Desmond Howard didn't run them all back, but the ones he did were often game changers like Cobb's was in game #1.
He may not get to the 20 but anything on the positive side of the 15 gives Godgers room to work.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb did call a fair catch last week, was hit by not one but TWO defenders, which drew a flag.
But the zebras realized they were in Atlanta and decided the guy was blocked into Cobb. Both of them apparently even though one of them was untouched.

I thought it was a good call by the refs, he waved very late and I thought the defenders did about the best they could to get out of his way given the circumstances. You can't wave a hundreth of a second before you catch the ball and expect everyone to just fall down and get out of your way.

I did not, however, understand the flag against the Packers on the same play. I didn't see anyone run onto the field except the offensive unit which is common practice.

Back to Cobb, man, I get nervous everytime he tries to run a punt back and he's already surrounded by guys. I keep waiting for the ball to squirt out everytime. He's gonna get himself killed out there.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
You must have very big Cojones to stand there knowing these guys are coming at you at full speed and not call for a fair catch.

Isn't it funny how everyone says if you are brave you have big ones. I mean if there is a part of the body that is the most vulnerable, painfull, full of nerve endings, take you to your knees at the touch of a feather. And yet we want a guy to have big ones. I would think very little ones you could easily hide would be much more advantageous. But I digress from the thread.

Wildcatk23

Repeat?
Reaction score
SO we havent had a decent returner in so many years and know that we have one people is worried he is gonna fumble?

I would like to thank Cobb for that week 1 win.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SO we havent had a decent returner in so many years and know that we have one people is worried he is gonna fumble?

I would like to thank Cobb for that week 1 win.

If i'm not mistaken he already has 1 fumble on a return this year (Carolina I believe). But that wasn't my point. I'm just saying the way the way he fields punts while already in traffic, it doesn't seem far fetched that he would get laid out immediately after trying to make the catch and losing the ball because of it.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
If i'm not mistaken he already has 1 fumble on a return this year (Carolina I believe). But that wasn't my point. I'm just saying the way the way he fields punts while already in traffic, it doesn't seem far fetched that he would get laid out immediately after trying to make the catch and losing the ball because of it.
Well that's the nature of the job. Slot receivers, onside kick hands team are all jobs where you can expect to get blasted. But they are also aware that teams will be taking those shots to jar the ball. I get what you're saying but if you don't have any confidence in your coverage players you'll never advance the ball. A punt with no coverage by the punting team is a rare occurrence and it's the returners job to make them pay for any mistakes. You'll never find a hole if you fair catch them all.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe we should just all pray their kicker kicks a touchback so we don't have to worry about risking ourselves with a return. I honestly felt that way many times last year, this year, I'm a little more confident in them. They've improved.

Havners Heroes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well hey think of it this way. With the caliber of offense that we have, starting on the 15 really isn't going to hurt us. So if Cobb wants to take it out from deep and winds up getting tackled before the 20, no big deal. He's an exciting player, I like seeing the ball in his hands.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really not liking him on ST. I'll give him a chance to improve but that's two returns he's boggled now. He's luck that didn't result in the Vikings player picking it up and heading straight to the endzone. He redeemed himself later in the game, but every time I see him returning a punt/kick, I want to cover my eyes.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Maybe when Shaky gets off IR he can do kick and punt returns so we doesn't create the turnovers.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
My only problem with him is he seems to wait way too long to signal a fair catch. The ball was almost there while he was still waving.

I would agree with that. I don't know if he is trying to draw a penalty, if he is that indecisive or what, but he does tend to wait quite a while before signaling.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Several years ago Peterson kept putting the ball on the ground. It's something that can be fixed. I wouldn't worry about it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
On his fumbled punt, it looks like Burnett was in the way and he glanced at him. On the big return, I thought it was going to get flagged because that is the way it always seems to work.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did have that 42 yard punt return. You get some, you lose some. He's still a rookie so it's expected mistakes happen.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the big return, I thought it was going to get flagged because that is the way it always seems to work.

I swear i saw someone block in the back on that play, thought it was comin back for sure.

LOL at this thread, i came on the forum this morning for the sole purpose of bumping this thread and someone beat me to it. The person who said he waits to long to signal nailed it on the head. He tried to catch it while bringing his arm down from the fair catch wave.

He's good he just needs to make better decisions. That and his drop from AR really pissed me off yesterday.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, he's learning. I like the kid, I believe he over-thinks sometimes (should I fair catch, should I take it and run etc) Once he settles down, he's going to be awesome! :tup:

Members online

Latest posts