Rajion Neal

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw an article which said McCarthy wants to keep Lacy fresh and so might add another RB. Last year in preseason I was very impressed with Rajion Neal. Then I think he got hurt and got placed on the practice squad. I was wondering if anyone else saw what I saw in him?

D

Dan115

yes he is tough
I saw an article which said McCarthy wants to keep Lacy fresh and so might add another RB. Last year in preseason I was very impressed with Rajion Neal. Then I think he got hurt and got placed on the practice squad. I was wondering if anyone else saw what I saw in him?

H

HardRightEdge

There are only 3 running backs on the roster, including Neal. So it's not a matter of adding one; it's about deciding between Neal and whoever else comes around to fill the #3 spot.

D

Deleted member 6794

Neal looked pretty good in camp and in his limited preseason action which included a total of 11 snaps in the first game vs. the Titans before he got injured. He rushed five times for 39 yards and a TD while making three guys miss tackles. I expect the Packers to give him a chance to win a roster spot this season.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even with Neal, we only have 3 RBs total on the roster. So I would bet GB is going to draft one early enough. Im still holding a strong personal preference to Gordon at #30. Despite a solid group of 1st round quality D-linemen, and apparent need at ILB. I'd love to see Starks replacment drafted. Gordon could actually beat out a very good Starks for #2RB. And in another idea, he could use that speed to return kicks possibly? Anyways. I would like to see Lacy get more rest, and not have a huge drop off. Starks does that now, but is hitting 30 here. We could definately use another good rb.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even with Neal, we only have 3 RBs total on the roster. So I would bet GB is going to draft one early enough. Im still holding a strong personal preference to Gordon at #30. Despite a solid group of 1st round quality D-linemen, and apparent need at ILB. I'd love to see Starks replacment drafted. Gordon could actually beat out a very good Starks for #2RB. And in another idea, he could use that speed to return kicks possibly? Anyways. I would like to see Lacy get more rest, and not have a huge drop off. Starks does that now, but is hitting 30 here. We could definately use another good rb.

A first round pick for a back up running back and kick returner? No way. Starks is a fine backup. If we draft a back, it should be someone who can be a good pass catching third down back. The only chance we take one of those early is if it's Abdulah out of Nebraska. He'd be a hell of a weapon.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'd rather we pick a P or K at the 30th spot. :rolleyes:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A first round pick for a back up running back and kick returner? No way. Starks is a fine backup. If we draft a back, it should be someone who can be a good pass catching third down back. The only chance we take one of those early is if it's Abdulah out of Nebraska. He'd be a hell of a weapon.
I get it, you guys disagree on the Gordon pick at #30. I disagree with you. Kick returner isnt a joke. we havnt had a full time kick returner who was great in forever. A steady rotation, including a half dozen or so last year. Gordon might be terrible returning kicks too, so what ever. He is big, strong, and FAST enough to be a great one though too.

And maybe you all could open your brain box 1/4" to make room for this thought? What is Lacy goes down?

HUH?!?!?!? What? yea what? What if Lacy goes down week 4 of preseason? Or worse yet, week 17 before playoffs. WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??? Rajon Neal?!?!?

Now look at the possibilities of Gordon on the roster. Gordon BEATS Starks for the back-up releif role. And a hungry Starks sits in the ranks the next few years, stepping in when one tandem goes down. I would speculate Lacy/Gordon would be the best RB duo in the NFL. And would be feared, considering Rodgers and our pass attack is also unstopable.

Think about it.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
... considering Rodgers and our pass attack is also unstopable.
Maybe Thompson should trade all of the picks in this draft and the first three or four next year to grab a QB at the top of this draft? Maybe you could open your brain box 1/4" to make room for this thought? What if Rodgers goes down?

HUH?!?!?!? What? yea what? What if Rodgers goes down week 4 of preseason? Or worse yet, week 17 before playoffs. WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??? Scott Tolzien?!?!?

Think about it.
:D

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get it, you guys disagree on the Gordon pick at #30. I disagree with you. Kick returner isnt a joke. we havnt had a full time kick returner who was great in forever. A steady rotation, including a half dozen or so last year. Gordon might be terrible returning kicks too, so what ever. He is big, strong, and FAST enough to be a great one thought too.

And maybe you all could open your brain box 1/4" to make room for this thought? What is Lacy goes down?

HUH?!?!?!? What? yea what? What if Lacy goes down week 4 of preseason? Or worse yet, week 17 before playoffs. WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??? Rajon Neal?!?!?

Now look at the possibilities of Gordon on the roster. Gordon BEATS Starks for the back-up releif role. And a hungry Starks sits in the ranks the next few years, stepping in when one tandem goes down. I would speculate Lacy/Gordon would be the best RB duo in the NFL. And would be feared, considering Rodgers and our pass attack is also unstopable.

Think about it.

I love how you think we are the ones that need to make room....seriously Eli you are arguing to basically avoid positions (multiple positions) that we could use a bonafide stud/starter at for a back up.....a back up.....a back up. Not to mention in this day and age drafting running backs in 1st round isn't a must to get a good one. Could TT draft a depth/back up RB this draft sure...will he, we'll see. I truly would love to see Gordon available at 30...so we can find someone who wants him for a good trade back into the 2nd and probably pick up a mid/late rounder on top of it. Be genius move by TT and would allow our 2nd round picks to get a starter (not a back up) at LB, NT/DL or CB or heck even a stud TE depending. All of which rank much higher than a back up RB.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Thompson should trade all of the picks in this draft and the first three or four next your to grab a QB at the top of this draft? Maybe you could open your brain box 1/4" to make room for this thought? What if Rodgers goes down?

HUH?!?!?!? What? yea what? What if Rodgers goes down week 4 of preseason? Or worse yet, week 17 before playoffs. WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??? Scott Tolzien?!?!?

Think about it.
:D

Crap.....I'm convinced I want Mariota though....leave my crab legs ALONE!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love how you think we are the ones that need to make room....seriously Eli you are arguing to basically avoid positions (multiple positions) that we could use a bonafide stud/starter at for a back up.....a back up.....a back up. Not to mention in this day and age drafting running backs in 1st round isn't a must to get a good one. Could TT draft a depth/back up RB this draft sure...will he, we'll see. I truly would love to see Gordon available at 30...so we can find someone who wants him for a good trade back into the 2nd and probably pick up a mid/late rounder on top of it. Be genius move by TT and would allow our 2nd round picks to get a starter (not a back up) at LB, NT/DL or CB or heck even a stud TE depending. All of which rank much higher than a back up RB.
Starting kick returner. And if he were to beat Starks at his own game, he would be getting carries every game. You cant tell me you are going to find a player in the late rounds who will carve a spot into this offense. Gordon would be able to do that. IMO.

But just as important! Insurance. Insurance that WHEN Lacy gets hurt, our offense doesnt have to become one dimentional...

Now lets consider Gordon, the best statistical RB since Barry Sanders (who was under rated and drafted top 3 still was it?) Actually becomes great? His speed, which is different than ever other Wis RB you compare him to, Will be NFL fast! Consider we end up with two stars at RB.......

Still a wasted pick at #30?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. All our eggs are in one basket with the QB, and RB position. We all know if Rodgers goes down , the season is over. Thats why the whole offense is built and designed to keep him from being touched..... RB on the other hand, is getting 20 carries and 5 catches a game. Guaranteed contact...

Do you wise guys see the difference here?

Starks is 30...... I think he can be a Fred Jackson for us for a good number of years yet. But that doesnt make me feel good about taking out our prize RB and beating on him every week. Hoping he doesnt get hurt, and criple our offensive identity. Right back to Rodgers running for his life, and throwing 5 yd passes instead of Runs. Hopefully Starks could carry the pill, but his history as a feature back is not great. He is a very good complimentary back IMO... anyways, I dont want to wait for the inevitable, and hope, when there are legit contributors on the board...

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the Big guys at the top of the first round. But the guys ranked around #30, they look like they will blend into the group we have. Now thats a guy we can get in the 4th round. The ILBs dont impress me either, 2nd round possibly better value. Few CBs and even Collins the safety, I would be very ok with. Only other offensive player i would consider at #30 is Maxx Williams, the 3rd generation NFL guy who is the top TE on the board.

Gordon is pretty special IMO. Could be picked anywhere from high teens to 40's IMO. Would be excited to see him land in GB.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i wouldnt have said much past a few posts, done weeks ago... If people didnt dog the idea so bad... just defending the logic from people who just hate anything they dont agree with.

Packerfan0220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eli, your logic is slightly flawed and that's what hurts it. If Lacy goes down is Starks serviceable enough to get us to the big game? The answer is yes because of rodgers and our stud receivers. Gordon would be a good pick at 30, don't see him lasting that long, but we have other needs on defense. Not sure why you think he is the next Barry sanders, I didn't see it (maybe Jamal Charles, but even that is a stretch). I would be okay and happy if we got Gordon at 30, but would prefer a cb, ilb, or TE in that order in the first.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not saying he is the next barry sanders.
and you think defenses are going to respect the run with starks magically? they will tee off on rodgers and force starks to make them honest...

i think the fact starks is 30. and our depth doesnt exist. this almost seems like a good idea! i dont understand the dislike. i mean we have NTs and CBs just like RBs. ILB is weak, or is it with mathews/ barrington and 10 lbs on the roster

Packerfan0220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think defenses will respect Starks as much as they would Gordon. Secondly defenses don't tee off on rodgers because he would pick them apart.

I'm not saying Gordon would be a bad pick at 30, although I would think Cowboys would take him if there at that pick. I just think rb is not a position of need right now for us, we have other priorities.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
i think the fact starks is 30. and our depth doesnt exist.
Of course Starks isn’t Lacy, but the fact is Starks turned 29 about six weeks ago and he doesn’t have much "mileage" on his legs: He has fewer attempts in his 41 regular season games since joining the Packers than Lacy has in 31 regular season games over the past two seasons. Starks career average is 4.3 ypc – again he’s not Lacy but he’s pretty damn good for a backup RB IMO. The Packers have much, much more depth - and experienced depth - at RB than they do at ILB. (Right now they don't know who is starting next to Barrington in the base.)

Certainly the Packers will add RBs through the draft and UDFAs, but when you remember that Thompson had his pick of Ball and Lacy in the second round of the 2013 draft and he traded down 6 picks before picking Lacy, it’s difficult to imagine he’d take a RB at #30.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i respect that. i am speculating gordon would be better than starks and comparable more to the impact lacy had on our offense. my optimism is directly relative to my willingness to draft him at 30... all true

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
starks is 29? damn! my argument wont be good for another year:)
I am a huge Starks fan. His downfall is that he cant carry a full load and be productive. But healthy, and in a reserve role, I call him the poor mans AP for a reason. He looks great! I been hoping to see this stuff since he was drafted out of buffalo.

I think Gordon has the same sort of abilities as Starks. Only Gordon is a perminent plan for a decade. Also I think Gordon has the skill set to be better than Starks right away.

Gordon is not Barry Sanders, (Give me a break) He's not Lacy. But he did put up the best numbers since Barry Sanders! That was my point! Deny that anyone? He is going to be very good in the NFL. His speed is fast enough to break away in the NFL. His ability to run between the tackles and fit through small openings will make him the total package... Like with anyone , its a matter of staying healthy, and playing under the right circumstances(coaches, fellow players). Gordon would have both in GB, getting time to get used to the NFL slowly, and get good looks when he does get the ball. I think eventually Lacy and Gordon could become equals... Extending both players careers, and expanding the coaches playbook.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry I turned the Neal debate into the Gordon debate. Neal is a good RB. We let Harris go for a reason. I thought Harris was good. So all in all, we do have two good RBs behind Lacy...

The big thing is depth and Kuhn wasnt resigned... We have room to add a perminent fixture.

D

Deleted member 6794

Abdullah could be picked before the Packers pick in the second round, which would still be way too early to pick a RB.

I get it, you guys disagree on the Gordon pick at #30.

Just because you repeat the idea numerous times it doesn't make it more reasonable. With the Packers needs on defense it would be a terrible idea to draft a RB in the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts