Question for Packer Fans.

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many of you believe the Rams Mike Martz is a good to excellent coach?

(note: Ryan this is Packer related and going somewhere, bear with me. Thanks.)

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i think he sucks...but he's still better than Sherman!

the problem with Martz is that he can't coach....if he has all his offensive show ponies in place...then his offensive system is hard to beat.....but when it comes to coaching and getting the most out of players that he has....he's terrible...

but he's still better than Sherman!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
i think he sucks...but he's still better than Sherman!

the problem with Martz is that he can't coach....if he has all his offensive show ponies in place...then his offensive system is hard to beat.....but when it comes to coaching and getting the most out of players that he has....he's terrible...

but he's still better than Sherman!
Still got a rock in your shoe about Mike Sherman, eh......
Mike Martz has shown slight glimpses of brilliance every once in awhile...
I say this with tongue-in-cheek.... 'cause several times, when the Rams were faltering, the Sports Announcers would remark what they would do - and the next week is when Martz would attempt some of those suggestions.. He's not completely stupid and he's certainly better than Marty (choke) Schottenheimer to say the least - but to say he's better than Mike Sherman is stretching things to the Twilight Zone. Let's just see what Sherman does this year....
(Martz wasn't also running GM duties last year, too - was he?)

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not believe he is a bad coach.His problem is he outthinks himself some times.To much mental ************ will hurt your offense in certain situations.He is a legit coach with a crazy personality.I do not question his football knowledge

OP
OP
R

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You all may be surprised to know that over a 5 year period Mike Martz has a 51-29 (3-4 in the post season) record according to ESPN.

Mike Sherman over a five year period has a very similar record at 53-27 (2-4 in the post season).

Take it for what it is worth. Those of you bashed Martz but support Sherman may find these stats interesting.

I personally am neutral on Sherman. The Martz numbers suprised me some what. I thought his record was a lot worse than it really is.

PackerCoz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Martz' record is mostly the Kurt Warner-led years along with the completely healthy Marshall Faulk, Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt years. Ever since Kurt Warner left the team, the Rams have gone nowhere.

In terms of comparing him to Mike Sherman, it is pretty close. Sherman's teams were more consistent than Martz' teams, tho' like RY said, Sherman holds only a two game advantage over five years. The post season record is near identical.

I like Mike Sherman, tho' I think he puts too much into gambling when the post season gets goin'. I feel if he took a more conservative approach, the Packers would probably fare better in the long run. I think Martz' teams have been a bit banged up generally, over the past few years.

But if you had to pick which coach would you go to choosing if the big game was on the line, who would you pick? A mere toss-up...

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Prez,

If Sherman takes the Pack to the NFC Championship game this year i will personally come to Lambeau field and eat my hat, while singing Mike Sherman's praises on the 50 yard line!

But..unfortunately, I feel I won't have to leave Jersey...

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think one is about as good as the other, or as bad as the other, whichever way you want to look at it. Both were handed very good teams and have done a little less than what they could or should have done with those teams.IMO The most frustrating part about MSs record is how horrible he does in "big games". And again I think Martz is the way.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martz is an ok coach.
I wonder what his record would have been if STL was in the Central or East.
The Western Division teams (not incl STL) have a combined record of 114-158* for the past 5 years.

*This includes NO,Car & Atl in 2000 & 2001 before the changes made by the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/history/standings/2004

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather have Sherman than that crazy gambler with a big ego.

Martz will be fired for a reason.

Look Sherman will be more focused this year. Less pressure. He will get a job if y'all and Ted Thompson do not want him around. Take a lot of assistants with him. The new guy can teach the team a new system next year.

You Sherman haters, you would bad mouth whoever is coach. Every year he does not win a Super Bowl he is a failure. Some years a larger failure than others.

Even if he wins a Super Bowl he will likely failed to have won all 19 or 20 games to get there. Might even lose a preseason game.

Some drives don't get 1st downs and he even permits the defense to allow points. Utter failure. Intolerable.

Good loyal fans you are.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin - on your stats - have we looked at a comparison between the two over just the last three seasons....? What happens to the balance, then?

OP
OP
R

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that much different (but a wider gap between the two coaches than a 5 year period).

Martz 2002-2004: 27-21 (1-2 post season)

Sherman 2002-2004: 32-16 (1-3 post season)

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer Forum.com

They had the talent to win another Super Bowl but Mrs. Doubtfire is a sorry coach. I work with a die-hard Rams fan and he hates this guy.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
I would rather have Sherman than that crazy gambler with a big ego.

Martz will be fired for a reason.

Look Sherman will be more focused this year. Less pressure. He will get a job if y'all and Ted Thompson do not want him around. Take a lot of assistants with him. The new guy can teach the team a new system next year.

You Sherman haters, you would bad mouth whoever is coach. Every year he does not win a Super Bowl he is a failure. Some years a larger failure than others.

Even if he wins a Super Bowl he will likely failed to have won all 19 or 20 games to get there. Might even lose a preseason game.

Some drives don't get 1st downs and he even permits the defense to allow points. Utter failure. Intolerable.

Good loyal fans you are.

I liked this post all the way until the last line. I think many of these posters truly are "loyal" but you are right Cheez, the Sherman bashing isn't unique. Coaching the GB Packers has to be one of the most high-profile coaching positions in all of sport. It doesn't matter who sits in the hot seat, the fact of the matter is that it's a very HOT seat. I hope Sherman proves many doubters wrong and has a great season. Time will tell...

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martz is an idiot. The good news is that now they have Shottenheimer as their DB coach! Laurel and Hardy. enjoy your season Rams fans :lol:

dan7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martz

Not a good coach....got lucky against the Seahawks in 2004 and the playoff game because of lousy defense by Seattle.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Martz

dan7 said:
Not a good coach....got lucky against the Seahawks in 2004 and the playoff game because of lousy defense by Seattle.
You may be right in regards to some of the plays that went down - but just the same - I still say our defense was just a bit better and AL HARRIS came right out & said he had specifically studied the film on Hasselbeck - he knew to watch out for that signature play that Matt loved to run.... and....BAM! U know the rest!!! :lol:

dan7

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IPBprez said:
dan7 said:
You may be right in regards to some of the plays that went down - but just the same - I still say our defense was just a bit better and AL HARRIS came right out & said he had specifically studied the film on Hasselbeck - he knew to watch out for that signature play that Matt loved to run.... and....BAM! U know the rest!!! :lol:

I was talking about Martz, not Sherman.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IPBprez said:
dan7 said:

This is the game Dan7 is talking about...

St. Louis Rams 27,
Seattle Seahawks 20

St. Louis 7 7 3 10 -- 27
Seattle 3 7 3 7 -- 20

First Quarter
StL--T.Holt 15 pass from M.Bulger (J.Wilkins kick), 3:27.
Sea--FG J.Brown 47, 12:55.
Second Quarter
StL--M.Faulk 1 run (J.Wilkins kick), 1:28.
Sea--B.Engram 19 pass from M.Hasselbeck (J.Brown kick), 6:42.
Third Quarter
Sea--FG J.Brown 30, 6:08.
StL--FG J.Wilkins 38, 12:25.
Fourth Quarter
Sea--D.Jackson 23 pass from M.Hasselbeck (J.Brown kick), 1:17.
StL--FG J.Wilkins 27, 6:53.
StL--C.Cleeland 17 pass from M.Bulger (J.Wilkins kick), 12:49.
A--65,397.

STL SEA
FIRST DOWNS 22 24
Rushing 3 7
Passing 15 15
Penalty 4 2
3RD-DOWN EFFICIENCY 9-14 5-12
4TH-DOWN EFFICIENCY 0-0 0-2
TOTAL NET YARDS 396 413
Total Plays 64 66
Average Gain 6.2 6.3
NET YARDS RUSHING 102 81
Rushes 27 20
Average per Rush 3.8 4.1
NET YARDS PASSING 294 332
Completed - Attempted 18-32 27-43
Yards per Pass 7.9 7.2
Sacked - Yards Lost 5-19 3-9
Had Intercepted 1 1
PUNTS-AVERAGE 3-29.0 3-44.3
RETURN YARDAGE 115 118
Punt Returns - Yards 3-14 1-9
Kickoff Returns - Yards 5-101 6-109
Int. Returns - Yards 1-0 1-0
PENALTIES-YARDS 4-30 9-61
FUMBLES-LOST 0-0 2-0
TIME OF POSSESSION 31:06 28:54

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS
RUSHING --
STL: M.Faulk 13-55, S.Jackson 10-36, M.Bulger 3-10, I.Bruce 1-1.
SEA: S.Alexander 15-40, M.Hasselbeck 2-26, M.Morris 2-9, M.Strong 1-6.
PASSING --
STL: M.Bulger 18-32-1-313.
SEA: M.Hasselbeck 27-43-1-341.
RECEIVING --
STL: T.Holt 6-108, K.Curtis 4-107, I.Bruce 3-40, M.Faulk 2-12, S.McDonald 1-31, C.Cleeland 1-17, S.Jackson 1-(-2).
SEA: D.Jackson 12-128, I.Mili 6-98, K.Robinson 4-40, B.Engram 3-34, S.Alexander 1-25, J.Stevens 1-16.

Members online

Latest posts