Pretty Pony's Rule.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No Moss = No Favre?

If we had problems at WR, I'd agree with Mort, but we don't. With our yards-after-catch numbers, we're getting the yards Moss would give us with the deep plays. I don't think Favre is basing his decision on Moss. I'm changing my view on Moss from "no way" to "depends on how much", though. I'm just not sure Moss=Superbowl.

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: No Moss = No Favre?

If we had problems at WR, I'd agree with Mort, but we don't. With our yards-after-catch numbers, we're getting the yards Moss would give us with the deep plays. I don't think Favre is basing his decision on Moss. I'm changing my view on Moss from "no way" to "depends on how much", though. I'm just not sure Moss=Superbowl.

I just found it interesting when Mort said "Favre has made this known."

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No Moss = No Favre?

I do think Favre would be more likely to come back if the Pack make a big move in FA. That said, I don't think it has to be any particular player or position. Brett would love another offensive target, but he should already know that his offense is one of the better in the NFC.

It's just that same mentality from 95-96. They were a NFC Championship team... not yet a Super Bowl team. Reggie White was there and within two years they were in the big game.

Favre will always state that he'd want to come back to try to win--that's what is most important to him. But the last few seasons he didn't THINK they'd probably win a whole lot. And then they did. I think he's hungrier now to win the big one than he has been in a while. I just think the conflict now is: will they be able to repeat last year's success AND get over that final hump? That's a big "if." Now that he's tasted those big games again, I think he's afraid of coming back and flopping.

Just my $.02 and of course, this is ALL speculation.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No Moss = No Favre?

Well if P.F.T. is right then there is no way Moss and Brett play together.

From P.F.T.

MOSS DEAL DONE

A league source tells us that the Patriots and receiver Randy Moss have agreed to a new contract. Per the source, the deal is for three years, $27 million.

The contract hasn't been signed, and the language is being finalized.

It's unknown how much of the deal is guaranteed, signing bonus, etc.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
No Moss = No Favre?

To use an Arrow term.. Mort is spitballing it.. just his opinion moreso than any inside knowledge, to me, sometimes these guys, yes even Mort are throwing out guesses ala Pro Football Talk..

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

nathaniel said:

I just found it interesting when Mort said "Favre has made this known."

I'm sure he's told management he'd love to have him. He really wanted him last year, too. Favre loves the big plays, and Moss can be that guy.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score

To use an Arrow term.. Mort is spitballing it.. just his opinion moreso than any inside knowledge, to me, sometimes these guys, yes even Mort are throwing out guess ala Pro Football Talk..

P.F.T. is getting much better. Florio is a regular guest on the Dan Patrick Show. Now that P.F.T. is getting more hits, and becoming nationally known they are a "Source" for more leaks from agents and insiders.

As for Mort. I agree.... Too much of his information is like a beer fart at a Super Bowl Party. It just wafts by gently, it stinks, no one knows where it came from, and no one will admit they were the source.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No Moss = No Favre?

Why does it all hinge on the acquisition of Randy?

Really, if Favre's decision is hinging (sp?) on one receiver, when he's already got:

2 Pro Bowl-level guys, and 3 more who are way above average, an above-average defense that's climbing towards Elite status, and a legitimate running game....

if that's the case, then IMO, he can just go ahead and retire. It's not like he's staring another 4-12 season in the face.

My point is that we went 14-4, and were one drive away from one of the most hyped Super Bowl games EVER. If that doesn't keep his competitive juices flowing, then adding a stud WR to an already studly group won't, either, and he shouldn't come back if that's where his head is.

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PackOne wrote:
pack_in_black wrote:
Raider Pride wrote:

Thanks, I did not see anything on PFT, and they usualy have em all valid or invalid.

Yes, but pf.com has more (founded or unfounded) rumors and juicy gossip during offseason, which I find much more thrilling than PFT and their "sources".

PFT, first thing every morning.

Just because I think it's cool, I emailed Mike Florio head of PFT today and said thanks for the hard work during day one of free agency. They were writing their arses off. He actually emailed back and said thanks. Thought it was a class act all the way from a guy who was on the Jim Rome show a few hours earlier.

rkoRKOrko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No Moss = No Favre?

Favre shouldn't have even been expecting the Packers to sign Moss anyway, with most of the league assuming that he would end up with the Pats.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No Moss = No Favre?

I seriously doubt this story ever had one iota of truth to it besides the fact that yes Brett Favre would love to play football along side Randy Moss. Every QB in the league would.

however if its true that Brett wont come back unless we sign a big name Free Agent... then.... well see ya.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just because I think it's cool, I emailed Mike Florio head of PFT today and said thanks for the hard work during day one of free agency. They were writing their arses off. He actually emailed back and said thanks. Thought it was a class act all the way from a guy who was on the Jim Rome show a few hours earlier.

True that. Florio seems like a pretty cool dude, imo. I enjoy his attitude that he infuses into most of his updates.

What I said earlier about "sources" was tongue-in-cheek. I do check Florio's site just about 5-6 times a day.

Pack93z

Reaction score
No Moss = No Favre?

Don't get me wrong, I love reading the sites information, check there a couple times a day and they are right alot more than wrong, but sometimes it seems they are just pissing in the wind on a story. IMO.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score

pack_in_black said:

Really, if Favre's decision is hinging (sp?) on one receiver, when he's already got:

2 Pro Bowl-level guys, and 3 more who are way above average, an above-average defense that's climbing towards Elite status, and a legitimate running game....

if that's the case, then IMO, he can just go ahead and retire. It's not like he's staring another 4-12 season in the face.

My point is that we went 14-4, and were one drive away from one of the most hyped Super Bowl games EVER. If that doesn't keep his competitive juices flowing, then adding a stud WR to an already studly group won't, either, and he shouldn't come back if that's where his head is.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Perfectly said. If Favre's not happy with what he's got I don't know what to tell him. Moss would have been a great addition, but it's not as if the Packers are now doomed to failure without him.

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Don't get me wrong, I love reading the sites information, check there a couple times a day and they are right alot more than wrong, but sometimes it seems they are just pissing in the wind on a story. IMO.

I just think of it as idea inspiring entertainment. This thread wouldn't be possible without them.

Florio for Moderator.

Pack93z

Reaction score
No Moss = No Favre?

If Favre is a man of his word, and I have absolutely no reason to think otherwise, he claimed the 07 teams was as talented as any he has been a part of.. so why would adding another playmaking weapon have anything to do with his return?

If I was him, I would be beating down Ted's door for an addition of a all pro caliber guard or two.. IMO.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Raider Pride said:
Too much of his information is like a beer fart at a Super Bowl Party. It just wafts by gently, it stinks, no one knows where it came from, and no one will admit they were the source.
Funniest thing I've read in a while!

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If I was him, I would be beating down Ted's door for an addition of a all pro caliber guard or two.. IMO.

A wise, snappy, and keen eyed observation by Pack93Z.

The only challenge is... "Brett's Mental Fortitude."

Brett in his mind seems to be thinking: "Guard? I don't need no stinking Guard?"

(In Brett's mind he will always slip into his... I will get it there no matter how much pressure I am under, or how many guys are covering my target.) See: So many of his key, season ending, and game losing INT's.

I can see why Brett wants Randy. Randy is a guy that can go up and take the ball away in triple coverage. Brett loves to fire a fast ball in triple coverage.

THIS IS NOT A KNOCK ON BRETT. WITHOUT THAT ATTITUDE HE WOULD NOT BE AS SUCCESFUL AS HE HAS BEEN. This is just IMHO one of the reasons he dreams of Randy.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
No Moss = No Favre?

Isn't Mortensen the same guy who said Brett was retiring for sure the last four years?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

pack_in_black said:

I don't even buy Favre said or even insinuated this. I think it was a rumor said by someone in the media that got blown out of proportion.

Favre's coming back has little to do with Randy Moss and pretty much everything to do with if he wants to endure the rigors of another NFL season.

That's my guess.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No Moss = No Favre?

Favre will do what he has to do. Whether it be retire then good luck and it was a great career. See you in Canton. If he stays then it's another run at the Super Bowl in my opinion.

Mort is usually wrong when it comes to the Packers. See just about every pick he made during the season. :)

Latest posts