Pre combine 2 round mock draft

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First I want to say although there has been several changes made in this early off season I just don't see a lot of FA activity. There just is not much cap room folks. The two most important internal signings were taken care of. The Packers were just awarded 4 comp picks giving the pack a total of 12 selections. IMO this draft alone will not cover all the packers needs.

Round 1: Josh Jackson CB Iowa

Being in big ten country I have been able to watch him for the past 3 years. If Jackson runs well at the combine this will be about the right spot he goes. 6"1 195 long arms can play bump and run, man or zone. He checks all the boxes. With KIng, Randall, and Jackson this is a nice nucleus in the secondary. And yes I'm a Randall fan.

Round 2: I make a trade up here. I send the Cleveland Browns my second, fourth, and sixth round pick to move up to spot 35.

Dallas Goedert TE South Dakota State

Nice size and athleticism. He just catches everything thrown his way. The TE position needs an upgrade and this is a nice start. I also would not be against making another TE selection at some point in this draft.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like both of these players but I am not an advocate of moving up in the 2nd unless a top player drops. I think Goedert belongs in the middle or late 2nd round.

Additionally, there are a couple TEs who may work for the Pack and we should be able to get one of them, even with our 3rd.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as things sit right now ...before free agency my first pick at 14 would be the best defender available...should be able to get a top 5 defensive player at 14. edmonds, james darwin, j jackson, r. smith, davenport. with our 2nd round pick, a really nice WR will be there kirk tate sutton maybe...the 3rd round pick target the best TE possible maybe andrews is there or penn state guy and or Goedert. one of them will be there. 4th round and on...get BAP any position...depth.

OP
OP
L

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like both of these players but I am not an advocate of moving up in the 2nd unless a top player drops. I think Goedert belongs in the middle or late 2nd round.

Additionally, there are a couple TEs who may work for the Pack and we should be able to get one of them, even with our 3rd.

I too am not an advocate in trading up but I really like Goedert. I believe if given time to develop he will be something special. I just have a feeling Goedert will test well this week at the combine which will jump his stock.

OP
OP
L

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as things sit right now ...before free agency my first pick at 14 would be the best defender available...should be able to get a top 5 defensive player at 14. edmonds, james darwin, j jackson, r. smith, davenport. with our 2nd round pick, a really nice WR will be there kirk tate sutton maybe...the 3rd round pick target the best TE possible maybe andrews is there or penn state guy and or Goedert. one of them will be there. 4th round and on...get BAP any position...depth.

I'm really looking for a pass rusher here. I feel the CB would be a better value pick here. Can't argue with waiting until 3rd round to address the TE position I just feel Goedert is going to be special.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im from South dakota...so Goedert is my guy too.. he will be a tough guy....all weather player for sure. he would fit in Green Bay like a glove. I actually try not to think about him to much i hope he has a bad combine..ha ha...i want he under the radar.

Reaction score
I know we’re talking second round but It’s still pretty costly to trade multiple players here. We’ve been relatively successful with 4th rounders up making the squad and eventually being contributors. I’d hate to see us trade away the likes of a Corey Linsley type by accident to move up for a guy that might slip into our hands anyway.
Maybe trade a 5th and a 6th comp pick to move into the latter round of the 4th if an impact player is still hanging around by some good fortune. E.g. someone who checks off our positional needs box (G, TE) and/or who is graded bottom 3rd round/early 4th round on our list etc..
Back to the 2nd round..
CB Isaiah Oliver/Mike Hughes
DE Harold Landry
WR Courtland Sutton/James Washington

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

First I want to say although there has been several changes made in this early off season I just don't see a lot of FA activity. There just is not much cap room folks. The two most important internal signings were taken care of. The Packers were just awarded 4 comp picks giving the pack a total of 12 selections. IMO this draft alone will not cover all the packers needs.

Round 1: Josh Jackson CB Iowa

Being in big ten country I have been able to watch him for the past 3 years. If Jackson runs well at the combine this will be about the right spot he goes. 6"1 195 long arms can play bump and run, man or zone. He checks all the boxes. With KIng, Randall, and Jackson this is a nice nucleus in the secondary. And yes I'm a Randall fan.

Round 2: I make a trade up here. I send the Cleveland Browns my second, fourth, and sixth round pick to move up to spot 35.

Dallas Goedert TE South Dakota State

Nice size and athleticism. He just catches everything thrown his way. The TE position needs an upgrade and this is a nice start. I also would not be against making another TE selection at some point in this draft.

I like both of your selections but hope that Goedert is still on the board once the Packers are on the clock in the second round without having to trade up. In addition the moves Gutekunst will make in free agency will decide which positions present the best value to the team during the early rounds of the draft.

Back to the 2nd round..
CB Isaiah Oliver/Mike Hughes
DE Harold Landry
WR Courtland Sutton/James Washington

I highly doubt Landry and Washington will be available at #46. Sutton will probably be off the board at that point as well.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like both of your selections but hope that Goedert is still on the board once the Packers are on the clock in the second round without having to trade up. In addition the moves Gutekunst will make in free agency will decide which positions present the best value to the team during the early rounds of the draft.

I highly doubt Landry and Washington will be available at #46. Sutton will probably be off the board at that point as well.

I can definitely see Washington still being there at 46 but I wouldn't want the Packers to draft him. I think his high yards per catch average was due to the spread system he played in and I don't expect him to be that kind of deep threat in the NFL. As for sutton I'm not high on him either I don't think either of them have the pure speed the receiver room is lacking. The Packers need a receiver like Christian Kirk who is likely to be available at 46. He's a slightly bigger randall Cobb. And his punt return skills alone would translate into at least 1 extra win over the course of the season

D

Deleted member 6794

I can definitely see Washington still being there at 46 but I wouldn't want the Packers to draft him. I think his high yards per catch average was due to the spread system he played in and I don't expect him to be that kind of deep threat in the NFL. As for sutton I'm not high on him either I don't think either of them have the pure speed the receiver room is lacking. The Packers need a receiver like Christian Kirk who is likely to be available at 46. He's a slightly bigger randall Cobb. And his punt return skills alone would translate into at least 1 extra win over the course of the season

Washington led the nation with 715 receiving yards on deep passes last season and I expect him to develop into a deep threat at the pro level as well. Therefore I think he will be long off the board at #46. On the other hand I agree with you that I'm not that high on Sutton either but expect him to be either drafted late in the first or early in the second round.

Kirk might present a decent option as a slot receiver but in my opinion the Packers need to add a rookie capable of excelling on the perimeter.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Washington led the nation with 715 receiving yards on deep passes last season and I expect him to develop into a deep threat at the pro level as well. Therefore I think he will be long off the board at #46. On the other hand I agree with you that I'm not that high on Sutton either but expect him to be either drafted late in the first or early in the second round.

Kirk might present a decent option as a slot receiver but in my opinion the Packers need to add a rookie capable of excelling on the perimeter.

At 5-11 200 pounds what makes you believe Kirk can't excel outside? Greg Jennings at 6-0 198 was one of the best outside recievers in Packers history. And James Washington is only 6-0 205 so one inch taller and 5 pounds heavier, I guess I'm not really understanding how you've pegged Kirk as a slot only receiver when he's essentially the same size as Washington and has much better speed? Here's the thing about Washington of those 715 deep yards how many were the result of the system he played in? He doesn't look like he plays very fast on tape and I think he's gonna struggle to get separation from NFL cornerbacks who are almost all faster and more athletic than he is. I'd be super disappointed if the Packers drafted him even if he fell to the 3rd round.

D

Deleted member 6794

At 5-11 200 pounds what makes you believe Kirk can't excel outside? Greg Jennings at 6-0 198 was one of the best outside recievers in Packers history. And James Washington is only 6-0 205 so one inch taller and 5 pounds heavier, I guess I'm not really understanding how you've pegged Kirk as a slot only receiver when he's essentially the same size as Washington and has much better speed? Here's the thing about Washington of those 715 deep yards how many were the result of the system he played in? He doesn't look like he plays very fast on tape and I think he's gonna struggle to get separation from NFL cornerbacks who are almost all faster and more athletic than he is. I'd be super disappointed if the Packers drafted him even if he fell to the 3rd round.

Kirk lining up in the slot on 94% of his snaps last season makes me believe that he's mainly suited to play there at the pro level. I really don't understand the reasoning behind solely crediting the system for Washington having had tremendous success on deep balls.

While it will be interesting to see them perform at the combine I don't believe there's any chance Washington will drop to the third round by any means.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kirk lining up in the slot on 94% of his snaps last season makes me believe that he's mainly suited to play there at the pro level. I really don't understand the reasoning behind solely crediting the system for Washington having had tremendous success on deep balls.

While it will be interesting to see them perform at the combine I don't believe there's any chance Washington will drop to the third round by any means.

No not soley crediting the system for his success at all, simply saying it inflated his numbers to a level that makes him seem like an elite deep threat when in reality he's gonna struggle in the NFL as he's not a very good route runner and he doesn't have explosive speed he's got what they call build up speed. I'm a big proponent of the importance of the 10 yard split times way more than 40 time. I'll bet that his 10 yard split is gonna be over 1.6 seconds. I think we need a receiver with closer to a 1.5 second 10 yard split. Being even slightly more explosive in that first 10 yards gives you a huge advantage especially at receiver but regardless of position. For instance clay Matthews ran his 40 in the 4.6's which is fast but not incredibly so for a linebacker but his 10 yard split was 1.49 seconds which is insane and you can see it on the tape. Washington doesn't have that look but Kirk does. I didn't know Kirk lined up that much in the slot but I would say that doesn't mean he needs to continue to or that he's limited to that role. For example Casey Hayward lined up in the slot on like 90% (apprx) of his snaps in Green Bay but for the chargers he lines up outside on 90%(approx) of his snaps and guess what turns out he's much better in that role.

D

Deleted member 6794

No not soley crediting the system for his success at all, simply saying it inflated his numbers to a level that makes him seem like an elite deep threat when in reality he's gonna struggle in the NFL as he's not a very good route runner and he doesn't have explosive speed he's got what they call build up speed. I'm a big proponent of the importance of the 10 yard split times way more than 40 time. I'll bet that his 10 yard split is gonna be over 1.6 seconds. I think we need a receiver with closer to a 1.5 second 10 yard split. Being even slightly more explosive in that first 10 yards gives you a huge advantage especially at receiver but regardless of position. For instance clay Matthews ran his 40 in the 4.6's which is fast but not incredibly so for a linebacker but his 10 yard split was 1.49 seconds which is insane and you can see it on the tape. Washington doesn't have that look but Kirk does. I didn't know Kirk lined up that much in the slot but I would say that doesn't mean he needs to continue to or that he's limited to that role. For example Casey Hayward lined up in the slot on like 90% (apprx) of his snaps in Green Bay but for the chargers he lines up outside on 90%(approx) of his snaps and guess what turns out he's much better in that role.

There are definitely positions where the 10 yard split is more important than the 40 yard dash but I don't believe that to be true when talking about a deep threat wide receiver.

While it's possible that Kirk might be able to line up on the outside in the NFL I would definitely prefer the Packers to draft a prospect that has been successful playing there at the college level. In addition I would really be interested in a detailed explanation on how the Cowboys system resulted in Washington's numbers on deep passes being inflated.

Members online

Latest posts