Potential Upsets This Weekend I Need Opinions On

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Giants are very banged up right now as Ahmad Bradshaw has a fractured foot (may still play though)
and Hakeem Nicks has a hamstring injury (game time decision). In addition they barely beat the winless
Dolphins at home. I say New England wins easily.

I wouldn't bet against the Saints at home, but Legarrette Blount should play this week for the Bucs and I think
it will be a close game. I'd pick the Bears to upset the Eagles, but don't feel good enough about the game to wager on it.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Packers off a bye in San Diego with half of GB there? Can't do it. And the Packers have too many matchups I like. I don't think they will get enough pressure on Rodgers (they have not gotten a good pass rush this year) and on offense Rivers is too much a wildcard to right now. If the Packers can limit the Chargers run game I like their D in this game. And I despite SD so I won't even consider this one. ;)

Miami? I would like it though to help the Colts suck for Luck. But, Chiefs are a tad underrated IMO and playing hard right now. Also, Haley won't shave until the team loses. Facial hair=wins.

Not feeling these two.
Packers haven't stopped the run yet this year. What makes you think they will do it in this game?

Miami ove KC because it is just the thing you would never expect. Who expects either of those teams to win? Isn't that the point of an upset pick?

Saints are 8 point favorites, a Bucs win would be an upset. Not a Saints win.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Packers haven't stopped the run yet this year. What makes you think they will do it in this game?

Miami ove KC because it is just the thing you would never expect. Who expects either of those teams to win? Isn't that the point of an upset pick?

I know a Bucs win would be an uspet. It was a choice of mine for a potential upset. I am going to go with the Saints though. If they don't win this game they are in trouble. I have to have faith they can recover from the Rams disaster. I mean they sure the hell better.

I guess I don't want to pick Miami until they show me they actually WANT to win too. In a way I am sorta thinking they are "quietly tanking" for Andrew Luck with Indy. I do hope they win a few though since I want Luck. I am getting suspicious at times of the Colts and Dolphins, I really am. Luck is starting to take on a life of his own already in these two franchises.

The Packers I believe are ranked 10th against the run? Well, they had a few issues with Peterson but who doesn't? I don't think SD will run it down their throats. If they get burned it will be through the air probably.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
The Giants are very banged up right now as Ahmad Bradshaw has a fractured foot (may still play though)
and Hakeem Nicks has a hamstring injury (game time decision). In addition they barely beat the winless

I wouldn't bet against the Saints at home, but Legarrette Blount should play this week for the Bucs and I think
it will be a close game. I'd pick the Bears to upset the Eagles, but don't feel good enough about the game to wager on it.

I'll go with Bears I guess. Hey why not. Bogart is too.

I'll decide on Pats/Giants tomorrow. I have this weird Manning karma thing at times though too going back to 2006. Manning's usually play well against the Patriots over recent years and rumor is Peyton is secretly mentoring Eli/breaking down film with him. I am not sure Bradshaw playing or playing limited means much. They need to throw it and throw it often. I thought I heard Nicks was going to play though? Still, we'll see......

This one will come down to gut feeling tomorrow for me and how risky I feel.

Matt Light and Logan Mankins also have been shaky lately. They need to step it up against a tough Giants D line.

I am not sure the Giants have been truly tested yet though so it's a tough call.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Didn't we hold Matt Forte to 13 yards in the Bears game? Lowest total yards rushing for the Bears since 1956?
True but the Bears were playing from 2 td down by the begining of the 2nd quarter. Teams don't usually stick to the run when that happens. Forte only had 9 attempts, 6 in the first half, I don't know how they stopped something that never reallly started. It would be like saying you stopped a QB when he only threw 12 passes. They didn't stop him from catching the ball however.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
The Packers run D is fine.

It's the passing D that has issues at times. I don't even remember the Saints running well on the Pack week 1. It seemed like it was all in the air.

The Chargers might very well be desperate but they are not a great team. They just aren't. The Packers have to win this game coming off a bye with the better team. I also suspect the passing D coming off the bye will be a bit sharper with Capers making a few adjustments. I am not sure SD has had enough time to regroup since the MNF disaster. I also can't go against Aaron Rodgers anymore. Ever.

TBH I am not completely comfortable with Bears over Eagles but am going with it.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I know a Bucs win would be an uspet. It was a choice of mine for a potential upset. I am going to go with the Saints though. If they don't win this game they are in trouble. I have to have faith they can recover from the Rams disaster. I mean they sure the hell better.

I guess I don't want to pick Miami until they show me they actually WANT to win too. In a way I am sorta thinking they are "quietly tanking" for Andrew Luck with Indy. I do hope they win a few though since I want Luck. I am getting suspicious at times of the Colts and Dolphins, I really am. Luck is starting to take on a life of his own already in these two franchises.

The Packers I believe are ranked 10th against the run? Well, they had a few issues with Peterson but who doesn't? I don't think SD will run it down their throats. If they get burned it will be through the air probably.
Packers are ranked 10th in yards, but that's only because they have had so few running attempts. There are only two teams that have less attempts against them than the Packers. More telling is the Packers are giving up 4.6 yards per rush. If you take that by the NFL average of 26.7 attempts per game the Packers would end up 23rd in rushing defense.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Packers are ranked 10th in yards, but that's only because they have had so few running attempts. There are only two teams that have less attempts against them than the Packers. More telling is the Packers are giving up 4.6 yards per rush. If you take that by the NFL average of 26.7 attempts per game the Packers would end up 23rd in rushing defense.

Regardless of the attempts/yards per rush gained at times, I am still not overly concerned with the Packers run D right now. Even on it's worst day it's not nearly one of the worst run D's in the league to me. After watching years of Indy run defenses I think the Packers sometimes look like the 85 Bears. :)

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score

Packers held Matt Forte to 13 yards, and the only teams that have broke 100 yards rushing on them are Minnesota, St. Louis, and Denver.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Regardless of the attempts/yards per rush gained at times, I am still not overly concerned with the Packers run D right now. Even on it's worst day it's not nearly one of the worst run D's in the league to me. After watching years of Indy run defenses I think the Packers sometimes look like the 85 Bears. :)
Wow. The 85 Bears? Sorry, but the 2011 Packers don't even come close to the 85 Bears. Apparently Indy hasn't had a defense in years. 85 Bears gave up 258 yards per game 4.4 yard per play and 12.4 points per game. 2011 Packers are giving up 391 yards per game, 6.2 yards per play and 20.1 points per game. Sorry, not even close.

And it's worst day so far, 175 yards to Adrian Peterson and 218 to the Vikings as a team, 7.0 yards per attempt. That's some run defense. Sorry, not impressed. Even Arizona did better.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I think the run D stat is elevated because of a lack of a running game. Teams are passing way more than they run.
Apparently some people go strictly by yardage. Which makes the Vikings D better than the Packer D, in both run and pass.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yup.
Pats over the Giants
Saints over the Bucs
and Bears over the Beagles... if for no other reason than to get the east coast biased media from hyping the Beagles further.

And while I'm at it...
Cowpukes over the Seahags
Chiefs over Dolphins
Niners over 'Skins (of course)
Texans over Browns
Bills over the Jets
Falcons over the Colts
Broncos over Raiders
Bengals over the Titans
Cards over Rams (but I'm hoping for a tie! LOL!!)
Steelers over the Ravens

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Wow. The 85 Bears? Sorry, but the 2011 Packers don't even come close to the 85 Bears. Apparently Indy hasn't had a defense in years. 85 Bears gave up 258 yards per game 4.4 yard per play and 12.4 points per game. 2011 Packers are giving up 391 yards per game, 6.2 yards per play and 20.1 points per game. Sorry, not even close.

And it's worst day so far, 175 yards to Adrian Peterson and 218 to the Vikings as a team, 7.0 yards per attempt. That's some run defense. Sorry, not impressed. Even Arizona did better.

You don't understand sarcasm well do you? ;) I know how good those Bears were. And yes Indy has had some bad bad defenses, especially against the run.

Looks like many feel the Bears can beat the Eagles and it's the best upset pick for the weekend. I'll think more about Giants till tomorrow.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I got 3 "potential" upsets I am flirting with for this weekend. I would love some opinions. I have yet to make up my mind yet on these games. I am feeling upset happy again......

1) Bucs vs. Saints-Can the Saints get swept by the Bucs? The Bucs are coming off a bye and might seem to have the Saints number lately. Blount will also be back. But, this is in NO and it is tough to imagine Brees won't do his best to win this game at home. Saints really need this game though, after this week they go to Atlanta.

2) Bears at Eagles-Still don't know what to think about these teams. I picked the Eagles to beat the overrated Cowboys coming off their bye. The Bears are also coming off their bye and their D has given Vick trouble in the past but is this years Bears D good enough? They have the style of D to limit big plays from Vick and keep some mobility in check.
Not sure if I trust the Bears offense though but they should be able to run on Philly. The Bears did beat the Eagles last year too.

3) Giants at Patriots-Don't look now but Brady enters this game with a passer rating of 104.4. Sure, but Eli Manning is at 102.1 and has only has turned it over 5 times this season compared to Brady's 8 interceptions. Thats right, Eli has been solid.
Can Eli come into Foxboro and hand the Pats their first home loss in the regular season since 08 and torch a very poor Patriots secondary?
Giants have been streak busters before and have been with NE.
Sure, the Pats don't lose back to back games often and should win this one but the Giants pose match up problems with their passing game and a defense that leads the league in sacks.

Thoughts?
I didn't check the lines on these games but I believe the Saints will beat the Bucs by a touchdown or more. I'd never bet against them at home against and equal team which the Bucs are certainly not.
Eagles can't stop the run and Forte will destroy the Eagles. Of the three, the easiest upset pick here regardless of points.
I'm super iffy about Giants and Patriots as most are. I don't know the spread on the game but holy smokes you're playing with a loaded firecracker any time you bet for/against on the Pats.
I'd also look at Cincy and Tennessee.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I didn't check the lines on these games but I believe the Saints will beat the Bucs by a touchdown or more. I'd never bet against them at home against and equal team which the Bucs are certainly not.
Eagles can't stop the run and Forte will destroy the Eagles. Of the three, the easiest upset pick here regardless of points.
I'm super iffy about Giants and Patriots as most are. I don't know the spread on the game but holy smokes you're playing with a loaded firecracker any time you bet for/against on the Pats.
I'd also look at Cincy and Tennessee.

Yeah I get too risky with NE at times. But, damn looking back at page 1 the stupid Cowboys could have won that game.....

Cincy and TN? Hmmm.....yeah tough one. Having just played TN I was not too impressed. Cincy should win.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Oh yeah. And Bears over Lions next weekend maybe. I have been good with the Lions this year.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Haven't stopped the run this year? Don't know which stat-line you're reading. Packers did a good job shutting down the run on NO, Chi, Atl and Car. The only reason why Car was able to muster 71 yards is because Cam Newton had some fantastic scrambles. On the other hand GB got run over by Minn, Stl and Den, although I'm not sure how much the Den rushing attack really mattered since the Pack were blowing them out.

The Packers have shown themselves to be capable of stopping the run, just not every week. SD's backfield isn't in good shape right now but could be effective if Rivers comes out throwing bullets.

Eagles-Bears and NE-Giants are very iffy games. NE defense sucks and Eli Manning is quietly looking like a Pro-Bowl QB. Gonna be close. Eagles are a very risky pick especially in Chi. They've been the faves for the "who's the best team to have a shot at beating the Packers?" sweepstakes, then fell flat on their faces and now after the Dallas game everybody's saying that they righted the ship. It's one game and I'm not so sure about that.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Both Mathews and Tolbert are hurt. Tolbert is coming off a bad hammy. Mathews didn't practice this week because he messed up a groin near the end of last week's game. The projection is that Tolbert will do all the work and they won't be able split up the work load like they normally do. That's going to wear on Tolbert. I don't expect a Peterson like performance from these guys. It's all gonna be up to Philip Rivers. I wouldn't pick the Chargers even though it's fashionable this week. It's also fashionable to say the Eagles are back...doesn't make it true.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
You don't understand sarcasm well do you? ;) I know how good those Bears were. And yes Indy has had some bad bad defenses, especially against the run.

Looks like many feel the Bears can beat the Eagles and it's the best upset pick for the weekend. I'll think more about Giants till tomorrow.
Sarcasm does not go over well in the written word. Even with the little smiley face. (Sarcasm off)

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Haven't stopped the run this year? Don't know which stat-line you're reading. Packers did a good job shutting down the run on NO, Chi, Atl and Car. The only reason why Car was able to muster 71 yards is because Cam Newton had some fantastic scrambles. On the other hand GB got run over by Minn, Stl and Den, although I'm not sure how much the Den rushing attack really mattered since the Pack were blowing them out.

The Packers have shown themselves to be capable of stopping the run, just not every week. SD's backfield isn't in good shape right now but could be effective if Rivers comes out throwing bullets.

Eagles-Bears and NE-Giants are very iffy games. NE defense sucks and Eli Manning is quietly looking like a Pro-Bowl QB. Gonna be close. Eagles are a very risky pick especially in Chi. They've been the faves for the "who's the best team to have a shot at beating the Packers?" sweepstakes, then fell flat on their faces and now after the Dallas game everybody's saying that they righted the ship. It's one game and I'm not so sure about that.
I suppose shutting down the Bears counts. After all the Packers scared them into only attempting 9 runs during the whole game. Funny, the three teams the Packers didn't stop all have good backs.

And the stat line I am reading is 4.6 yards per attempt. Not total yardage. But if you want to go by total yardage, go ahead.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Yeah I don't even feel super comfortable this weekend with any real "upsets". Not even the Bears but that seems like the best one out there.

I'll see what the status on Nicks for the Giants is later. Right now I think I will go with NE but I sure hope like hell Eli beats them

Thing is when you flirt with an upset all week and then play it safe it kills ya when playing it safe burned you lol.

Are people that confident in the Bears? Can their passing game have a decent game too?

Members online

Latest posts