Post-June 1st Cuts Most Likely The Draft Could Cause

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So like the title says one thing I've considered but not thought about a lot is the potential cap savings through post-June 1st cuttings the draft could cause....arguably I only see two guys and really only one I feel is actually a possibility. This isn't a big move GB does, but it could make sense in the case of #1

#1 - Dean Lowry
This option is the most likely by a WIDE margin. We play a lot of two down sets, which already with the signing of Jordan Reed makes Lowry not as detrimental of a loss....add in perhaps a Day 1 or 2 pick in this upcoming draft, plus Slaton coming on snap wise late in 2021 and the cap savings of $5.95M at that point in time becomes a VERY viable option for the team to execute - freeing up some money for in season movements.

#2 - Adrian Amos
This is a tough one....unlike the Lowry one you are not in need of the draftee that triggers the cut to step in Day 1 and play....this case you most likely would be. However, that said...say Gute and Co pick up a HIGH ready now Safety prospect - the post June 1st savings on Amos is only $2M

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So like the title says one thing I've considered but not thought about a lot is the potential cap savings through post-June 1st cuttings the draft could cause....arguably I only see two guys and really only one I feel is actually a possibility. This isn't a big move GB does, but it could make sense in the case of #1

#1 - Dean Lowry
This option is the most likely by a WIDE margin. We play a lot of two down sets, which already with the signing of Jordan Reed makes Lowry not as detrimental of a loss....add in perhaps a Day 1 or 2 pick in this upcoming draft, plus Slaton coming on snap wise late in 2021 and the cap savings of $5.95M at that point in time becomes a VERY viable option for the team to execute - freeing up some money for in season movements.

#2 - Adrian Amos
This is a tough one....unlike the Lowry one you are not in need of the draftee that triggers the cut to step in Day 1 and play....this case you most likely would be. However, that said...say Gute and Co pick up a HIGH ready now Safety prospect - the post June 1st savings on Amos is only $2M
Interesting. Right now it is hard to believe the Packers would part with Amos. We would have to find a Nick Collins in the draft.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting. Right now it is hard to believe the Packers would part with Amos. We would have to find a Nick Collins in the draft.

I didn't want to start the conceptual thread without at minimum a second option. Personally there would need to be a very clear reason and immediate use for that savings to justify it and even then I find it hard IMO enough justification would exist. Lowry however may face this judgement...and that could be justified quite easily - despite being one that has defended him at times.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lowry is coming off of arguably his best year, he produced good pressure, especially the 2nd half of the year. I’m not sure saving that much money is worth it, tbh. Jarran Reed is more about replacing Lancaster, imo. Lowry, Clark, Reed, and Slaton still leaves room for one more good player.

There’s no chance they cut Amos for $2 million in savings. It’s not worth it. Not when they’re chasing a SB.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lowry is coming off of arguably his best year, he produced good pressure, especially the 2nd half of the year. I’m not sure saving that much money is worth it, tbh. Jarran Reed is more about replacing Lancaster, imo. Lowry, Clark, Reed, and Slaton still leaves room for one more good player.

There’s no chance they cut Amos for $2 million in savings. It’s not worth it. Not when they’re chasing a SB.

Like I said, I concur and agree on Amos. Lowry, if you bag a top 60 draft pick, freeing up that much cash could be the difference in handling in season injury bug or not IMO. I too agree Lowry had his best season yet, and honestly has been SOLID for us for - however it would be purely from a fiscal stance I'd do this move.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think cutting a solid run defender and guy who is coming off of a 5 sack season (really solid for an iDL) would be a wise move for a team going after a Super Bowl. He’s got better pass rushing stats than Reed, per snap.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think cutting a solid run defender and guy who is coming off of a 5 sack season (really solid for an iDL) would be a wise move for a team going after a Super Bowl. He’s got better pass rushing stats than Reed, per snap.

You only do it if you're pretty comfortable and confident in your high pick from the draft to do so. It at minimum has to be on the "big picture" plans and routes to go, even if you don't elect to do it.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does the cap savings on cutting Crosby differ pre or post June 1st? Lowry to me has always been a possibility. Like you said depends on how the draft goes and if we use most of what is left on a free agent or 2. Maybe the Jaire extension is on hold until after the draft or even June 1 so that they see how they have to structure it. That is if that extension is actually coming. Amos not going to get cut.( I know you don't think so either).

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does the cap savings on cutting Crosby differ pre or post June 1st? Lowry to me has always been a possibility. Like you said depends on how the draft goes and if we use most of what is left on a free agent or 2. Maybe the Jaire extension is on hold until after the draft or even June 1 so that they see how they have to structure it. That is if that extension is actually coming. Amos not going to get cut.( I know you don't think so either).

I didn’t research Crosby, would assume such a small contract the savings wouldn’t even afford much more than an UDFA

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Collins wasn’t even the Collins we remember for like 2-3 seasons.
Actually, by 2006 he was making plays. You have to recall that in his first 2 years that was not a good Packer team. Playing defense an awful lot. Collins had to make a lot of tackles and he held up when it should have been LBS making the tackles. His numbers in 2006 were good.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts