Poll: FO/Coaching changes in GB

At this point, which Packer coaches/managers should lose their job at season's end?

• Clean house. TT, MM, Capers, and most/all assistants

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Ted and Dom should be fired, but MM should stay for now

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Thompson only, everyone else gets a new shot under a new GM.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • McCarthy only

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Capers only

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • All coaches should return in

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this poll pretty sufficiently covers all realistic choices, but feel free to discuss if you have some caveats (example: Clean house but Ron Zook or Joe Whitt should stick around, for example)

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why should Joe Whitt stick around? His secondary performs terribly.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I voted Capers only... however... that should include his entire defensive coaching staff..... I'm hoping Thompson retires on his own.... don't hate the guy, but I think it's time. I would prefer to keep McCarthy... assuming Aaron is back next year the continuity on the offense would be very important while the defense is retooling and learning a new system.

Patrick J. Costello

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Comes a time, when your driftin’...initially, even with 12, I thought 9-7, then with TB, Carolina, Baltimore stinking it up, thought, maybe 11-5, but then the”D” disintegrated, the”O” line remained shaky, and rec’g corps is way overrated, minus Adams. Hundley has no chance, this is now 8-8 at best and McC is beginning to lose team

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are going to see some more “cuts” like Bennett. I believe he had words with coaches and was shown the door. He may have told MM what other players were thinking on how they ran things on both sides of the ball,but didn’t want to come out and say it.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think for sure. Ted and Capers need to go. I do think McCarthy has a big part to do with keeping Capers way too long and he has been riding the Rodgers train for a while now. I think that he is overall a good coach bit is terrible at calling plays and managing a game. But I do believe he creates a good culture in house and is a no BS kinda guy. I would be ok with him coaching at least one more year with a new O coordinator and D coordinator. But let them call plays

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many of you honestly believe Capers/McCarthy/Thompson will be let go? On a scale from 1-10.. I give it a 4.. None will be let go... if it's going to happen it will happen now. You can bet McCarthy will be given at least ONE more year..

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think for sure. Ted and Capers need to go. I do think McCarthy has a big part to do with keeping Capers way too long and he has been riding the Rodgers train for a while now. I think that he is overall a good coach bit is terrible at calling plays and managing a game. But I do believe he creates a good culture in house and is a no BS kinda guy. I would be ok with him coaching at least one more year with a new O coordinator and D coordinator. But let them call plays

Mike McCarthy tried that after the overtime playoff loss in Seattle. For whatever reason Tom Clements sucked at play calling, so in the middle of the season McCarthy started calling plays again. As expected, our offense improved on Sundays when McCarthy, not Clements, called the plays.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Aaron Rodgers hadn’t fallen directly into the lap of TT, the ineptitude of TT’s regime would have come to light many years ago. They have made a helluva career out of riding Rodgers coat tails. What a shame really.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy tried that after the overtime playoff loss in Seattle. For whatever reason Tom Clements sucked at play calling, so in the middle of the season McCarthy started calling plays again. As expected, our offense improved on Sundays when McCarthy, not Clements, called the plays.

If he got himself a solid Offensive Coordinator he wouldn't have had that issue. The Packers from top to bottom try to develop people into something they are not.

I do have a feeling that if Ted goes. Whoever the new GM might want to bring his own guys unless it's Elliot.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted is going to go when Ted retires which will be soon, year or 2. MM is not going anywhere this year. and I put Capers return at about 40-60 right now.

Croquet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is not a choice for Ted to stay and everyone else go. If there was I would of picked that. I do not feel the roster is as weak as some do. JMHO. I think Mccarthy gets one more year but Capers has to go.

Now is the time if there ever was one. If not now then 12 will be wasted as long as he plays. Great offense when 12 is healthy but we cannot stop anyone.

New DC, bring in a real OC, use the draft and cap room to retool this to an NFL defense. EAZY PEAZY......

But alas. Lumpy is too stubborn to do any of this.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
As expected, our offense improved on Sundays when McCarthy, not Clements, called the plays.
The heck it did! MM took back play calling about the same time AR went into his funk that didn't end until about "run-the-table" statement last year. Debate-ably the worst season long statistical period of Rodgers career.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
No matter the scenario, it should start with: Fire Capers.

The defense can't get any worse, and we'll finally get confirmation on whether or not our struggles are due to scheme. That's a start. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge Ted fan, but I would definitely like to see a young up and coming coordinator get a full offseason and see what he can do.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The heck it did! MM took back play calling about the same time AR went into his funk that didn't end until about "run-the-table" statement last year. Debate-ably the worst season long statistical period of Rodgers career.
No...McCarthy took back playcalling because the offense had been in a funk since about the 4th game of the previous year.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not convinced Ted is the genius GM some want to portray him as, but his contract is up in another year and a half anyway. I think any sort of change needs to begin with Capers. Once he is gone, then we'll see what the situation looks like then.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you fire Thompson, the coaching staff is likely gone. If you fire MM, Capers us almost certainly gone as well

I have been happy with MM and his style for most of his stay in GB. But there is no denying his teams have not been sharp, especially defense for some time.

My dream off-season is to fire all defensive coaches. Get one of the defensive genius DCs who fails as a head coach, no I'm not sure who may be available. Stick with the 3-4. Many will be amazed at how well the packer defense plays with mostly the same players.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I think Ted will retire. I want DC to go. I hope DC goes. I pray DC goes. DC better go. So why is my gut saying I’m going to see his ugly mug in the press box before every game next year?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
No...McCarthy took back playcalling because the offense had been in a funk since about the 4th game of the previous year.
You've got your years confused. MM gave up play calling for the 2015 season after the choke job in Seattle. He took it back midway through the season after the offense "sputtered" at the start of 2015. You know, this offense:
Discussion about the Green Bay Packers' offense over the past few weeks started me thinking this afternoon: how does the Packers' current offense, which has struggled somewhat of late and appears to be less explosive than it was a year ago, compare to the unit that took the field in 2014 and helped earn Aaron Rodgers his second MVP award?
All the numbers put forth below are comparing the performance over the first six games of the 2014 season, over which the Packers went 4-2, to the team's 6-0 start here in 2015. What we find might surprise you a bit.

Aaron Rodgers
2014: 122-189 (64.6%), 1,419 yards, 15 touchdowns, 1 interception, 111.4 passer rating. 14 rushes, 70 yards (5 YPC)
2015: 124-182 (68.1%), 1,491 yards, 15 touchdowns, 2 interceptions, 115.9 passer rating. 29 rushes, 160 yards (5.5 YPC)

Team Offense
2014: 161 points, 1,915 total yards: 1,346 passing, 569 rushing
2015: 164 points. 2,185 total yards: 1,421 passing, 764 rushing
Yes, the Packers' offense as a whole has functioned better and scored more points so far in 2015 than they did a year ago.
And this was the year without Jordy. Then McCarthy took over and it really took a dive for the next 18 games or so into the 2016 season.

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I voted for Capers being let go but not till the end of the year and then make a play for another DC from another team.. like Phillips from the Rams or someone along those lines. We don't need a rookie DC.

I think TT has done a good job, he has drafted some good players but Capers hasn't made good use of their talents.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Aaron Rodgers hadn’t fallen directly into the lap of TT, the ineptitude of TT’s regime would have come to light many years ago. They have made a helluva career out of riding Rodgers coat tails. What a shame really.
Exactly why I voted to clean house, MM is as good as AR makes him.

Latest posts