Plugging IN

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well just sitting here with some thoughts on the offseason so far. The NFC will be a shambles next years with what I believe will be all teams at or about 9-7 or 8-8. Three teams in the division with new coaches and one going into his third year.

As I am thinking I have often wondered what made a good team. The HC maybe?? Players??? GM??? Overall front office??. One thing and one thing only for me can be concluded. It is an overall fit of everything.

Some say that Sherman walked in with a stacked team in 2000. Me I disagree with that statement whole heartedly. The team was full of underachievers and folks who had more intrest in carrosing the streets and ******** around than playing ball. Sherman did a fine job his first two years posting a 9-7 then a 12-4 record. But Sherman lost whatever success he had when he became GM/HC (Dual Roles Never work). This was the disconnect that allowed Sherman to fail. He lost his intesisty and began to worry about making players happy. His accountability in those players fell and well he never quite grasped the concepts of trying to seperate the roles. Remember the Mike McKenzie episode which ultimately had him losing his GM position.

It is all about the fit of Players coaches and the organization. TT did not feel Sherman fit anymore and Sherman paid the price. I disagree with the decision but not my call to make.

The Same could be said of what happened to Brett this year and his breakdown of Ball control and decision making. Play calling was willy nilly and I dont think I have ever seen the Packers throw as many deep balls as they did this year. Again the QB and the system did not fit anymore. I believe that Brett was at his best in a ball control Run Play action type game with dump Passes. The Ole Screen which really went away with Sherman was gone and therefore Brett had to wing it more and more often.

Maybe the new direction will be a fresh start for the Team and for Brett if he he comes back. Which I believe he will. I also look for Henderson to be back. TT has got to see what pieces are in place and has got to win now. Otherwise he will be unemployed just as Sherman was. I dont believe GB fans will Tolerate another 10 to 20 years of futility.

Lets hope that the Packers can begin to Plug in and quickly and return to the years of 96, and 97 it is possible and long as McCarthy is not just a yes man and tells TT what he needs.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing that I've thought about most lately are the doldrums of the 70's and 80's. A few people on here have referred to this time frame as where the Packers are headed for the next few years. I disagree as well. Remember that with the era of free agency, parity remains supreme. The Packers are a proud franchise and will not let 10-20 years of futility happen ever again. Free Agency allowed teams to make tremendous turnarounds in short periods of time. Remember the TB Bucanneers went from 5-11 last season to 11-5 this season and a division championship. These things can and will happen for GB......gotta believe people.......gotta believe.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JbShell said:
Some say that Sherman walked in with a stacked team in 2000. Me I disagree with that statement whole heartedly. The team was full of underachievers and folks who had more intrest in carrosing the streets and ******** around than playing ball. Sherman did a fine job his first two years posting a 9-7 then a 12-4 record. But Sherman lost whatever success he had when he became GM/HC (Dual Roles Never work). This was the disconnect that allowed Sherman to fail. He lost his intesisty and began to worry about making players happy. His accountability in those players fell and well he never quite grasped the concepts of trying to seperate the roles. Remember the Mike McKenzie episode which ultimately had him losing his GM position.
You're partially right - but the real truth is... that Sherman "did" get pretty much a stacked deck with a team only one season away from our run at the NFC Championship / against the Niners / and yet another option for a SuperBowl. And, had the NFL been proper in our penalties, it would have ben just that. Holmgren had done everything necessary for us to be in Supberbowl XXXIII - We "all" know Jerry Rice fumbled that ball, and the Ref should have let the Packers keep it - hence, no birth of Terrell Owens etc. -- And, Brett would have been in his third attempt at the Lombardi. The Referees caused the Packers to miss out - it wasn't for lack of effort by the Pack. -- Back to business - much of that same team was still in place, especially on Offense, when Sherman took over for Ray Rhodes. The 'deck' as you say ---- was stacked! I can't think of any NFL Players who won't take their earnings and go party... it takes a strong & stern Coach to keep those kids in line - Ray Rhodes and Mike Sherman were never really it.

JbShell said:
The Same could be said of what happened to Brett this year and his breakdown of Ball control and decision making. Play calling was willy nilly and I dont think I have ever seen the Packers throw as many deep balls as they did this year. Again the QB and the system did not fit anymore. I believe that Brett was at his best in a ball control Run Play action type game with dump Passes. The Ole Screen which really went away with Sherman was gone and therefore Brett had to wing it more and more often.
I agree totally here - the Tiger Set was Brett's favourite way to play football - it gave him a ton of options every time they hiked the ball. I never respected Mike Sherman for avoiding the use of it - especially coming from a "former Tight Ends Coach" --- Sherman should have been able to watch old film and figure it out overnight. Personally, I think his stint as a TEC was a bluff.... Like Jimmy Carter, he could hornswaggle just about everybody - even the Press -
Rossley doesn't call the plays anymore, I do" - Mike Sherman
Yeah, right ... and I'm the Incredible Hulk.....

JbShell said:
Maybe the new direction will be a fresh start for the Team and for Brett if he he comes back. Which I believe he will. I also look for Henderson to be back. TT has got to see what pieces are in place and has got to win now. Otherwise he will be unemployed just as Sherman was. I dont believe GB fans will Tolerate another 10 to 20 years of futility.

Lets hope that the Packers can begin to Plug in and quickly and return to the years of 96, and 97 it is possible and long as McCarthy is not just a yes man and tells TT what he needs.
Great sentiment - and NO..... I don't think MM will be yet another yes-man. I think he's gonna slap a few chumps upside the head ala NCIS(tv show).... I think quite a few players are gonna get the axe if they don't fully give 110%...period!

Good post.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with your take on MM...he won't be a yes man. If he was, he never would have left GB the first time. He stood up to Sherman and his game-planning and got the ax for it. I like that he saw things he couldn't live with and spoke up about it. I don't think he'll change now that he's HC. He's got that "edge" about him that will keep people from getting too comfortable, which is good when you need improvement out of players.