Playoffs in jeopardy without a decent backup QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I noticed yesterday the many concussions in the NFL.Vic, Cutler, and a few other players. And now some of these guys are not being OK'd for weeks. They get a big hit put on them and it seems this is the case. As of late there have been some mainstream articles and reports pretty condemning of football and the effects of concussions, in addition to the current lawsuit - as this gets mainstreamed, expect the NFL to take the overly cautious route on this. Not to say this is bad - seems like these players need to take this type of caution - getting dementia at any age is bad enough, but getting it at the prime of ones life has driven a few of these players to suicide.

But what about when Rodgers takes a big hit??? He sits out a play and they determine it is a concussion. He then misses the next game (or two, or three). And Harrell, takes over???

We really need a backup that has a history of winning a few games, even if it was a few years back. An old guy, or some other QB that has at least started once and won a game or two. Coleman doesn't look like the guy either. Perhaps someone who could game manage and complete some 5 and 10 yard passes and hand off to the RB.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point who is out there,you would trust? Look at Cambell when he took over for Cutler he did do better he didn't throw 4 picks,Harrell may not be the guy but that's who we have so the o-line guys need to step up,and keep A-Rod standing.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could always put Randle Cobb (a former Qb) at quarterback and run the spread offense with some option mixed in:)

OP
OP
LZ13

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our season was always in jeopardy if Rodgers went down.
Yes, true. But it seems more so with the extra precautions on concussions. For example, if the 2010 NFC Championship game were played today, Rodgers would probably have been on the bench for the rest of the game after the shot he took from Peppers. But at least we had Flynn, a decent backup. Think of how that game would have turned out if Harrell took over?!? So what might have been overlooked in years past would now result in the player being taken out of the game.

OP
OP
LZ13

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could always put Randle Cobb (a former Qb) at quarterback and run the spread offense with some option mixed in:)
That came to me as well. Without even seeing him take an NFL snap, I would bet money he could outperform Harrell by a mile. Cobb can spectacularly do just about anything and everything else they have him try. Hopefully, they are doing some work with Cobb to be the possible backup.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, true. But it seems more so with the extra precautions on concussions. For example, if the 2010 NFC Championship game were played today, Rodgers would probably have been on the bench for the rest of the game after the shot he took from Peppers. But at least we had Flynn, a decent backup. Think of how that game would have turned out if Harrell took over?!? So what might have been overlooked in years past would now result in the player being taken out of the game.

Concussions are just one part of the injury problems a QB faces. I won't disagree we have no backup. But we are no different than a lot of teams that would be in deep $hit if they lost their main guy. We just have to hope Rodgers doesn't go down.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I noticed yesterday the many concussions in the NFL.Vic, Cutler, and a few other players. And now some of these guys are not being OK'd for weeks. They get a big hit put on them and it seems this is the case. As of late there have been some mainstream articles and reports pretty condemning of football and the effects of concussions, in addition to the current lawsuit - as this gets mainstreamed, expect the NFL to take the overly cautious route on this. Not to say this is bad - seems like these players need to take this type of caution - getting dementia at any age is bad enough, but getting it at the prime of ones life has driven a few of these players to suicide.

But what about when Rodgers takes a big hit??? He sits out a play and they determine it is a concussion. He then misses the next game (or two, or three). And Harrell, takes over???

We really need a backup that has a history of winning a few games, even if it was a few years back. An old guy, or some other QB that has at least started once and won a game or two. Coleman doesn't look like the guy either. Perhaps someone who could game manage and complete some 5 and 10 yard passes and hand off to the RB.
I guess you're seeing how injury-conscience the league is. Even the slightest hint of a concussion and you're done.
You're worried about how violent the game is and the chance of injury. Hmmmmm.
Here is the current wage scale for our military:
http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp
I get that your post has more to do with an adequate backup. But really, if you want to worry about people and their emotional and physical well being you'd do well to worry about the health of this nations' vets.
I'm just pointing out that while you worry about Junior Seau, I tell you to look to the veteran who actually served to protect your nation and your family... not to entertain you.
Those are your nation's heroes. Not that Seau's demise doesn't touch us all but it's nothing compared to miles of American flags to welcome home the remains of one of our nation's youth who has given his life in the struggle to maintain freedom.
And the sacrifice that family made. If every person could just once see the departure of troops on their way oversees they'd understand. The news doesn't show that, it's depressing but it's real. They only show the elation when they return.
One day after veterans day I want to point out a way of thinking. We all live under the umbrella of freedom provided by our military. We should never on any given day take it for granted. I love what Aaron Rodgers does and appreciate he is humble.
Aaron Rodgers has never one single day put his life on the line for your freedom. Yea, it's like that!

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I guess you're seeing how injury-conscience the league is. Even the slightest hint of a concussion and you're done.
You're worried about how violent the game is and the chance of injury. Hmmmmm.
Here is the current wage scale for our military...

DD- Not that I am disagreeing with anything you wrote-- I had and have family in active duty, but... I think your posting was a major hijack of the thread.

The OP was simply pointing out the obvious issue the Packers will have if Rodgers gets hurt.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point who is out there,you would trust? Look at Cambell when he took over for Cutler he did do better he didn't throw 4 picks,Harrell may not be the guy but that's who we have so the o-line guys need to step up,and keep A-Rod standing.

He also missed several wide open receivers and was terrified of throwing the deep ball.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Right, but Matt Flynn wasn't that great of a backup his first two seasons with us. In fact, he was pretty terrible. He also had 3 seasons under his belt before seeing any kind of playing time. That's three QB schools he got to attend, three training camps he got to attend, and three years of study he was able undertake in preparation for his role as a backup. Graham Harrell has had no such luxury at this point.

OP
OP
LZ13

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, but Matt Flynn wasn't that great of a backup his first two seasons with us. In fact, he was pretty terrible. He also had 3 seasons under his belt before seeing any kind of playing time. That's three QB schools he got to attend, three training camps he got to attend, and three years of study he was able undertake in preparation for his role as a backup. Graham Harrell has had no such luxury at this point.

I would not call Flynn terrible. As a later pick, he beat out favored Brohm, who IMO, is what Harrell is going to be. I clearly recall a beautiful 2 min drill Flynn orchestrated in a preseason game of his first year with 3rd and 4th string receivers, not Jordy Nelson or Greg Jennings - in the final play for the 2 pt conversion, we would have tied except for the receiver being forced out of the end zone (after review) - that was pretty impressive for a first year QB who was, until that point, just practice squad fodder. Flynn had the nerve to play in the NFL - Brohm did not, and it appears that Harrell does not either. It is more than talent and training - it is the ability to use that talent under extreme pressure. Some very late draft picks or unknowns excel under that pressure (like Tom Brady), some high draft picks crumble. Flynn's 6 TD game did not surprise me, nor did his very solid performance in 2010 against NE (the only other game he started) when Rodgers was out injured.

Reaction score
I don't think any back up could win for us with the amount of injuries we have. If rodgers goes down we are screwed. lets leave it at that. Lets worry about the back up qb next year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
DD- Not that I am disagreeing with anything you wrote-- I had and have family in active duty, but... I think your posting was a major hijack of the thread.

I agree with this...DD your post is well thought out, but should go to the atrium

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To accentuate the point it is not just concussions, Big Ben has a separated shoulder.
BINGO... and Big Ben is big & strong, and that hit didn't look nearly as hard as some shots he, and Rodgers, have taken before.

This is why I don't like Rodgers taking any hits, sacks, etc. The concussions Rodgers got in Washington and Detroit a few years ago could happen any time he gets wacked.
Remember him breaking his foot vs NE back before he was a starter?

Now with no Bulaga on the edge, it certainly will lead to more leaks off the right side.... I don't like it. I hate injuries and I support the NFL for doing whatever they can to cut down on injuries in any manner possible.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BINGO... and Big Ben is big & strong, and that hit didn't look nearly as hard as some shots he, and Rodgers, have taken before.

This is why I don't like Rodgers taking any hits, sacks, etc. The concussions Rodgers got in Washington and Detroit a few years ago could happen any time he gets wacked.

Now with no Bulaga on the edge, it certainly will lead to more leaks off the right side.... I don't like it. I hate injuries and I support the NFL for doing whatever they can to cut down on injuries in any manner possible.

Most of the injuries you listed for Rodgers I don't believe we're directly caused by a bad o line.

As far as more leaks on the right side, it was our weak point this season. Bulaga was struggling most of the season. I don't know if Lang is much if any of a downgrade.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me a team with an elite QB that wouldn't struggle with their best player hurt?

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bulaga was a sieve over there. Lang will do better.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me a team with an elite QB that wouldn't struggle with their best player hurt?
Not if it was an offensive player.
Although Rodgers was doing pretty damn good missing Jennings. And when J-Mouth went down in 2010, he adjusted and did jus fine.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That came to me as well. Without even seeing him take an NFL snap, I would bet money he could outperform Harrell by a mile. Cobb can spectacularly do just about anything and everything else they have him try. Hopefully, they are doing some work with Cobb to be the possible backup.

A WR moving around to all the WR positions and sometimes into the backfield is not even in the same ball park as a WR moving to QB. Sure he knows the plays and the verbage for most of the offense. But he has not been practicing the reads, most of the running plays, the audibles. To expect him to come in and outperform Harrel is a bit silly IMO. What it all boils down to is what most people have said thus far. If Rodgers goes down for more than 2 of the remaining 7 games we are screwed.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is not much we can do if Rodgers goes down at this point. This is one area that TT rolled the dice this year.

Big Ben went down last night and Leftwich did not do much offensively. Steelers defense won the game.
9ers back up QB came in and played superlative. Of course, he's a running QB. He set the team up for victory only to have Akers miss the game winner for a change. Bears only put up 3 after Cutler went down. And the Eagles QB gave them some spark but made some rookie miscues as well. But when you look at it anyone of those guys makes you feel better than Graham Harrell. Maybe someone will release a QB soon. Like TJack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts