1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Playoff re-seeding shelved, other measures passed

Discussion in 'All Other Team Discussions' started by IronMan, Apr 2, 2008.

1. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8

2. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    -- The option to defer to the second half the decision to take the ball after winning the coin toss. The vote was 28-4. The Packers voted in favor.

I thought you were always able to defer. If you win the coin toss, you either kick or receive. If you choose to kick, that is deferring right? :-?

3. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,966

4. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    i dont get it.

5. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I read what was on nfl.com (not much more than what was posted). I think they are saying that if you win the opening coin toss you can now elect to give the loser the choice at the start the game and keep the selection gained by winning the toss for the opening of the 2nd half.

6. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't completely understand the coin toss thing either, but I think it's a good thing. I've come to think that it is usually best to receive at the beginning of the second half than it is at the beginning of the first half anyway.

Eliminating the force-out was a good thing. That rule left too much room for speculation by the refs.

The playoff re-seeding was unnecessary, so it's just as well that they let it drop.

Too bad they didn't do anything about all those silly last second time-outs on field goal attempts. I hate when that happens, and all it does is irritate the fans and players.

7. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    The coin flip is the same as the NCAA now.. if you win the flip you can chose either the ball, kick or our choice of direction of play. On a very windy day you can set it up that you now can have the wind in the fourth quarter instead of choosing ball or kick for instance.

8. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhh - I think I see the difference. Previously you would choose whether to kick or receive and the loser of the toss would choose which goal to defend first.

Now you can either choose to choose kick/receive or choose to choose the goal you will defend.

Am I understanding it now?

9. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Yes sir indeedy.

10. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, NOW I think I get it. Thanks.

I shudder to think of John Madden trying to explain this.

11. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll give it a shot :lol:

...and so before they start the game you know they have to have the coin toss. That's where they toss a coin and it's either heads or it's tails. Once side of the coin has a head on it, or sometimes it's something that looks like a head, or sometimes it's not even a head at all so I don't know why they call it heads but but they do. Anyway the guy - and the guy could be Brett Favre one of these days soon - tosses the coin and one of the players on the field says if he'll take heads - if he thinks it'll be heads - or he says tails you know cuz if he wants it to be tails. I dunno why the call it tails either I mean have you ever seen a tail on a coin? There are tails on like monkeys and cows but not on a coin. Cows are pretty tasty though except the tail of course. I've never seen a tail on a coin though... Haven't seen a tail on Brett Favre either but he could probably have one if he wanted one

...so after the coin lands they look at it and decide if it's heads or tails. Of course that depends if it landed with heads showing or tails showing. And then, and then whichever team called heads before gets to choose. Now, they've changed what the team gets to choose. Before if they called heads and it landed heads they would just choose to kick or receive...I mean if they want to have the ball first they would choose to receive and if they don't want the ball first they would choose to kick. The team that didn't call the heads, or whatever came up gets to pick which end of the field they'll play first. Sometimes Brett Favre would pick one end of the field and sometimes he would pick the other end. I don't know why but that's just Brett Favre.

Then after halftime the other team would get to choose. Of course after halftime there's none of this heads or tails stuff...

...so BOOM - the rule has changed now and the team that picks heads or tails can decide if they want to decide to kick the ball or receive it first or they can decide which end of the field they want to play first. I know Brett Favre would always want to get the ball first but if you're not Brett Favre you might not want to. And that's what the rule is that they they changed.

12. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    EDDER!!!!!!!!!LOLOLOLOL!!!
    I was "hearing" it in Madden's voice the whole time!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    BOOM!!! :wink: :lol:

13. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, PackinSteel. That was scary good! And it's proof that you've watched WAY too much football and have WAY too much time on your hands. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

14. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    [​IMG]

15. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Holy crap that was right on. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I would love to hear Caliendo say all that in his Madden voice! Seriously, you should write for him.

If there was a category for funniest post, this would be the funniest post EVER.

16. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,966
    League owners adopted the college rule that allows the option to decide whether to kick off or receive the football until the second half after winning the pregame toss

17. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    holy wow, packinsteel - that was friggin AWESOME!!!! :D

18. Packers_Finland

Packers_Finland Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    "...or he says tails you know cuz if he wants it to be tails. I dunno why the call it tails either I mean have you ever seen a tail on a coin? There are tails on like monkeys and cows but not on a coin. Cows are pretty tasty though except the tail of course. I've never seen a tail on a coin though... Haven't seen a tail on Brett Favre either but he could probably have one if he wanted one"

At that point the laughter started to become extremely loud. Funniest post in recent history.

19. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you all enjoyed my freak moment of creativity. BOOM!

20. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Huh??? :shock:

I witnessed a game two years ago between Montana and Eastern Washington here in Missoula. The grizzlies got both the opening kick-off and second half kick-off. A fierce canyon wind was blowing which was going to make for a rough afternoon trying to pass. Montana won the toss and deferred to the second half, whereby Eastern promptly took the wind for the first quarter figuring they could score and hold the Griz.
    End of first quarter...Montana 17, Eastern 0
    The Griz got the second half kick-off and scored in two plays and that was the old ball game. 27-7 final score.