Playoff re-seeding shelved, other measures passed

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PALM BEACH, Fla. -- There was so little support 4 re-seeding the playoff teams that a formal vote wasn't even taken during the final session of the NFL annual meetings.

A show of hands indicated that 10 or fewer teams -- presumably those with representatives on the competition committee -- were in support of a proposal that would allow a wild-card team with a better record than a division winner to have the higher playoff seed.

The lack of support was evident even after it was discussed that the top-three seeds would go to division winners and only the fourth seed (the final home team in the first round) would be up 4 grabs by a wild-card team.

New Packers President Mark Murphy spoke out against re-seeding.

Other measures that passed included:

-- The option to defer to the second half the decision to take the ball after winning the coin toss. The vote was 28-4. The Packers voted in favor.

-- Elimination of the force-out rule except if a player with the ball is held up AND carried out of bounds. The vote was 31-1. The Packers voted in favor.

-- Elimination of the 5-yard facemask penalty. There is now no penalty 4 incidental grabbing of the facemask. The vote was 28-4. The Packers voted in favor.

-- Allowing replay on field goals except if the ball goes over the uprights. The vote was 32-0.

-- A code of conduct relating to the integrity of the game, which includes a way 4 to teams to report suspected violations and measures 4 teams to be annually certified.

-- Rob Demovsky, [email protected]

OP
OP
IronMan

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
-- The option to defer to the second half the decision to take the ball after winning the coin toss. The vote was 28-4. The Packers voted in favor.

I thought you were always able to defer. If you win the coin toss, you either kick or receive. If you choose to kick, that is deferring right? :-?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
1. The toss of coin will take place within three minutes of kickoff in center of field.

The toss will be called by the visiting captain before the coin is flipped.

The winner may choose one of two privileges and the loser gets the other:

(a) Receive or kick
(b) Goal his team will defend

2. Immediately prior to the start of the second half, the captains of both teams must inform the officials of their respective choices.

The loser of the original coin toss gets first choice.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. The toss of coin will take place within three minutes of kickoff in center of field.

The toss will be called by the visiting captain before the coin is flipped.

The winner may choose one of two privileges and the loser gets the other:

(a) Receive or kick
(b) Goal his team will defend

2. Immediately prior to the start of the second half, the captains of both teams must inform the officials of their respective choices.

The loser of the original coin toss gets first choice.

i dont get it.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read what was on nfl.com (not much more than what was posted). I think they are saying that if you win the opening coin toss you can now elect to give the loser the choice at the start the game and keep the selection gained by winning the toss for the opening of the 2nd half.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't completely understand the coin toss thing either, but I think it's a good thing. I've come to think that it is usually best to receive at the beginning of the second half than it is at the beginning of the first half anyway.

Eliminating the force-out was a good thing. That rule left too much room for speculation by the refs.

The playoff re-seeding was unnecessary, so it's just as well that they let it drop.

Too bad they didn't do anything about all those silly last second time-outs on field goal attempts. I hate when that happens, and all it does is irritate the fans and players.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
The coin flip is the same as the NCAA now.. if you win the flip you can chose either the ball, kick or our choice of direction of play. On a very windy day you can set it up that you now can have the wind in the fourth quarter instead of choosing ball or kick for instance.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The coin flip is the same as the NCAA now.. if you win the flip you can chose either the ball, kick or our choice of direction of play. On a very windy day you can set it up that you now can have the wind in the fourth quarter instead of choosing ball or kick for instance.

Ahhh - I think I see the difference. Previously you would choose whether to kick or receive and the loser of the toss would choose which goal to defend first.

Now you can either choose to choose kick/receive or choose to choose the goal you will defend.

Am I understanding it now?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:

Ahhh - I think I see the difference. Previously you would choose whether to kick or receive and the loser of the toss would choose which goal to defend first.

Now you can either choose to choose kick/receive or choose to choose the goal you will defend.

Am I understanding it now?

Oh, NOW I think I get it. Thanks.

I shudder to think of John Madden trying to explain this.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

I'll give it a shot :lol:

...and so before they start the game you know they have to have the coin toss. That's where they toss a coin and it's either heads or it's tails. Once side of the coin has a head on it, or sometimes it's something that looks like a head, or sometimes it's not even a head at all so I don't know why they call it heads but but they do. Anyway the guy - and the guy could be Brett Favre one of these days soon - tosses the coin and one of the players on the field says if he'll take heads - if he thinks it'll be heads - or he says tails you know cuz if he wants it to be tails. I dunno why the call it tails either I mean have you ever seen a tail on a coin? There are tails on like monkeys and cows but not on a coin. Cows are pretty tasty though except the tail of course. I've never seen a tail on a coin though... Haven't seen a tail on Brett Favre either but he could probably have one if he wanted one

...so after the coin lands they look at it and decide if it's heads or tails. Of course that depends if it landed with heads showing or tails showing. And then, and then whichever team called heads before gets to choose. Now, they've changed what the team gets to choose. Before if they called heads and it landed heads they would just choose to kick or receive...I mean if they want to have the ball first they would choose to receive and if they don't want the ball first they would choose to kick. The team that didn't call the heads, or whatever came up gets to pick which end of the field they'll play first. Sometimes Brett Favre would pick one end of the field and sometimes he would pick the other end. I don't know why but that's just Brett Favre.

Then after halftime the other team would get to choose. Of course after halftime there's none of this heads or tails stuff...

...so BOOM - the rule has changed now and the team that picks heads or tails can decide if they want to decide to kick the ball or receive it first or they can decide which end of the field they want to play first. I know Brett Favre would always want to get the ball first but if you're not Brett Favre you might not want to. And that's what the rule is that they they changed.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EDDER!!!!!!!!!LOLOLOLOL!!!
I was "hearing" it in Madden's voice the whole time!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
BOOM!!! :wink: :lol:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks, PackinSteel. That was scary good! And it's proof that you've watched WAY too much football and have WAY too much time on your hands. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

...and so before they start the game you know they have to have the coin toss. That's where they toss a coin and it's either heads or it's tails. Once side of the coin has a head on it, or sometimes it's something that looks like a head, or sometimes it's not even a head at all so I don't know why they call it heads but but they do. Anyway the guy - and the guy could be Brett Favre one of these days soon - tosses the coin and one of the players on the field says if he'll take heads - if he thinks it'll be heads - or he says tails you know cuz if he wants it to be tails. I dunno why the call it tails either I mean have you ever seen a tail on a coin? There are tails on like monkeys and cows but not on a coin. Cows are pretty tasty though except the tail of course. I've never seen a tail on a coin though... Haven't seen a tail on Brett Favre either but he could probably have one if he wanted one

...so after the coin lands they look at it and decide if it's heads or tails. Of course that depends if it landed with heads showing or tails showing. And then, and then whichever team called heads before gets to choose. Now, they've changed what the team gets to choose. Before if they called heads and it landed heads they would just choose to kick or receive...I mean if they want to have the ball first they would choose to receive and if they don't want the ball first they would choose to kick. The team that didn't call the heads, or whatever came up gets to pick which end of the field they'll play first. Sometimes Brett Favre would pick one end of the field and sometimes he would pick the other end. I don't know why but that's just Brett Favre.

Then after halftime the other team would get to choose. Of course after halftime there's none of this heads or tails stuff...

...so BOOM - the rule has changed now and the team that picks heads or tails can decide if they want to decide to kick the ball or receive it first or they can decide which end of the field they want to play first. I know Brett Favre would always want to get the ball first but if you're not Brett Favre you might not want to. And that's what the rule is that they they changed.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
IronMan

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Holy crap that was right on. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I would love to hear Caliendo say all that in his Madden voice! Seriously, you should write for him.

If there was a category for funniest post, this would be the funniest post EVER.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
League owners adopted the college rule that allows the option to decide whether to kick off or receive the football until the second half after winning the pregame toss

Packers_Finland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"...or he says tails you know cuz if he wants it to be tails. I dunno why the call it tails either I mean have you ever seen a tail on a coin? There are tails on like monkeys and cows but not on a coin. Cows are pretty tasty though except the tail of course. I've never seen a tail on a coin though... Haven't seen a tail on Brett Favre either but he could probably have one if he wanted one"

At that point the laughter started to become extremely loud. Funniest post in recent history.

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Huh??? :shock:

I witnessed a game two years ago between Montana and Eastern Washington here in Missoula. The grizzlies got both the opening kick-off and second half kick-off. A fierce canyon wind was blowing which was going to make for a rough afternoon trying to pass. Montana won the toss and deferred to the second half, whereby Eastern promptly took the wind for the first quarter figuring they could score and hold the Griz.
End of first quarter...Montana 17, Eastern 0
The Griz got the second half kick-off and scored in two plays and that was the old ball game. 27-7 final score.

Members online

Latest posts