1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Players continue to be rewarded for holdouts

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Zero2Cool, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

2. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Better to get rid of trouble makers than to have them ruin the rest of your team if you ask me. True teams are made up of True team players.

3. majikman

majikman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ago.

It's not the 1960's anymore and players are way different today.

Sometimes you have to be smart and stroke their ego a little bit and make them feel like they're appreciated.

Look what a hard-line stance got us. Walker in Denver.

GM's need to be smart and flexible today and know how to deal with today's player in the NFL.

4. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree its the case with some players. But there are guys out there like T.O. He got his new contract and the next year he is complaining about it. there are some people that you just cant make happy. J-Walk said he didnt even want to play with Favre anymore. I think it was time we got rid of him.

5. majikman

majikman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah.

It seems like there's poor communication on this Packers team.

If Favre would have gone to JWalk last year and said, "Look, we need you next year if we are going to come back and have a legitimate shot at the playoffs", and then gone to to TT and had a sit-down and tried to work something out.

But everybody got their backs-up and now Walker is in Denver winning games for them.

6. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

Nice thought, but wouldn't have made a difference. Walker's anger came from the Packers not jumping to give him more money when he demanded it. The Packers as an organization were in the right.

Theres a lot of unknowns with this. So really saying this or that would have made a difference is very naive and I've been guilty of it too. Bottom line no one knows what would have changed Walkers mind except him. Thats if anything could have.

In hindsight, before the season was over I'd have thrown him the extra salary cap cash to show appreciation to him an his efforts, but thats all in hindsight lol

7. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    The owners by and large are a dumb breed of people. They create the salary cap to protect themselves from themselves, then they screw each other over by paying signing bonuses. I dont' feel sorry for any owners because they've created their own mess. As for the players, who can blame them. If they hold out, spit, yell, argue, the ownders consitently give in, and the players eventually win out. I'm wondering how happy Dallas is to have that pinhead TO. As good as he is as receiver, he's a pinhead as a person.

8. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    And Jennings is helping win games for us.

9. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    This article is very true, but what can be done about this problem? Nothing, really. These players are in a position of power. For a GM to "prove a point" by holding onto these players is just too costly, and everybody knows it. I wish that rules for contracts were different so that this sort of ugliness didn't happen so often. It's not good for the game.

10. Timmons

Timmons Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Consider looking at it this way: Name a team that won the super bowl with a high-caliber hold out player signed to their roster?

these big dollar hold-out demands may make the team more talented and the player richer, but I don't remember seeing T.O in any Superbowls, and you won't see Branch there again or Walker there either.

These types of transactions are going to occur in the league, salary cap or not, I just don't think the "me first" players help make a team a better team.

I'll take the team building seventh round draft pick out of Alcorn State everyday.

11. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hines Ward held out into training camp last year and I believe he got a new deal.

12. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Um - actually the Steelers last year. Hines Ward held out through training camp and got the $$$ he deserved out of it. Fact is if TO, Walker, and Branch weren't high caliber they wouldn't a)have the clout to get out of their "problem contract" and b)get signed somewhere for a better one.

13. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    This is a definate flaw in the system that needs to be addressed. It is difficult enough to manage the cap without having players capable of seriously damaging the checkbook causing ripple affects in future possible moves.

Dealing with Walker in any other way would have essentially meant OVERPAYING him for what he had done so far as he was up for a substantial increase on his next contract.

The guy was paid a lot of money for little return early on and when it was going to get equitable overall he wanted a new deal.

The bottom line is he wanted to ignore the fact that he was one of the highest paid WR's per catch his first couple of years in the league and when it came time to EARN it he wanted no part of it.

It's just sorry that there is a path for these guys to pull this crap off.

14. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Very good post. There are accpetions to this as other people have refered to the Steelers. But as a general rule you are very correct. This is my point EXACTLY. Dont baby them. They sign a deal they play by the deal. thats my take.

15. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    So far this year Walker has 11 catches for 250 yards and 2 TD's.
    Over half his yards and his 2 TD's happened last week.

Greg Jennings has 10 catches for 173 yards and 2 TD's.
    (3 games each)

While the small difference in numbers is more than made up by:
    1) additional draft picks signed(Spitz, Culver, Jolly)
    2) cap room saved(new contract considered)
    3) the age difference in the players.
    4) the future career production of Jennings.
    5) end of bad press by Walker situation.

Tonight against the Eagles Jennings makes his 4th start for the Packers. In Walker's first two years in Green Bay he only started 5 games.

The trade worked out well for Green Bay.

As to Owens and Branch, the Patriots have yet to receive the compensation for Branch, and Owens is a unique situation.

Short term perhaps the whiners seem to gain and the teams suffer but after a year or 2, the teams will be further ahead with additional value.

The aquiring teams are attempting to maximize a seeming window of opportunity of being close to a championship willing to pay the price in the future when the window of opportunity closes.

16. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

I disagree, Walker is reaping the rewards from his little tantrum, plain and simple. He is playing with a contender and got a huge payday.

In turn, GB is rebuilding with a bunch of young guys who may or may not pan out. Comparing Jennings to Walker at this time is entirely premature. On top of that it was possible to have Walker and Jennings both. It wasn't a one or the other thing. If we could have retained Walker we could have possibly went in another direction with the Cory Rodgers pick and still addressed the O-line and still drafted Spitz. In fact we didn't gain hardly anything by trading Walker wheras Walker gained everything.

17. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think that if it's fair to say Manuel/woodson/poppinga are not what we thought, it's fair to say GJ is better than we hoped. The thing with J-Walk was, he made it clear that he wouldn't play another snap for GB. The trade for a second round pick was definitely well below his value, it was something. We could have dealt with him like Philly did TO, but what did they get besides headaches and some of his salary back. (I think) We got something- Denver is paying his huge contract, not us, and sure, he's gonna be great. But he wouldn't have been great for us. Cause he would have sat.