Pittsburghs Receiving Corps Lacks Depth

Reaction score
i would put sam on wallace woodson any and everywhere n tramon on ward bishop is good in coverage and nick could help out too if he come across that middle

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
That's the big matchup that was discussed on the radio here in Dallas. The consensus is the Packers can cover the Steelers WR, Steelers can't cover our 4 WR sets. The question is, can the Steelers get to Rodgers before the Packers WR's come open. Some feel this is the key to winning or losing for the Packers.

Bill From Hanover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would revisit your look at our WR Depth, we have some young talented receivers that you did not mention. Woodson is going to be tied up with Ward all game and this really opens the field for our guys underneath and deep. I doubt we are going to the air considering your ranked what ? 18th or 19th against the run. I see us pounding the ball most of the game and to take advantage of the deep pass with Wallace.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I would revisit your look at our WR Depth, we have some young talented receivers that you did not mention. Woodson is going to be tied up with Ward all game and this really opens the field for our guys underneath and deep. I doubt we are going to the air considering your ranked what ? 18th or 19th against the run. I see us pounding the ball most of the game and to take advantage of the deep pass with Wallace.

Just relaying what the "Experts" thoughts were on the WR situation. If we had Finley, Steelers would be in trouble. Jenkins was out some games which skews the running D rankings. And any game is a new day. I don't put too much weight into rankings except to get a general idea. It depends a lot on who you play during the season.

If the Steelers go down 14 fast, they'll be forced out of running. Besides your all pro center has a sprained ankle and broken bone who apparently is gonna play (I think it's just talk to muddy GB's game plan). I just don't see him being very effective and will make it hard to impossible to run up the middle with B.J. Raji there. So Mendenhall will have to run to the outside like he did against the Jets. Woodson is a hell of a run stuffer at Corner and our LB corp has some nice speed. I'm not worried about PITT run game going crazy on us.

No, the biggest threat is Rothlisberger and his ability to avoid sacks, get out of the pocket and make big plays down field.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not worried about any of the Steelers WR's, except maybe Miller, TE's have given the Packer's some fits, but I don't see it being too much of an issue.

Running game, not worried about either. I think the Packers offense could make it moot

BlackNGold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He said he was worried about Miller. I think the GB fans know all about Heath Miller. He had a heck of a game in 2009.

Everyone knows about Ward and Wallace. In my opinion they are two of the best, and bring a lot to the field. Ward with his blocking ability, and veteran leadership. Wallace with his speed and hands.

Antonio Brown, you probably haven't heard much about. He's got speed close to Wallace and has good hands. He was used conservatively in the beginning of the season, but the Steelers have started to call his number a lot lately. He has made some huge plays late in the season and in the playoffs. The Pack definitely does not want to underestimate him.

Randel El is capable of making big catches, and the Steelers like to use him on trick plays for his throwing ability. He played QB in college at Indiana. I think he's lost a step, but he is still a very sneaky route runner.

Emmanuel Sanders (not Saunders) is a speedy rookie that shows a lot of promise. He only has 28 receptions this year, but the kid can fly.

The Steelers receivers are mostly young, and they are not fully developed. Even Wallace is only in his second year and openly admits that he is still learning the intricacies of route running. I would definitely give the edge to the Packers in the WR dept. Give us another year or two and I guarantee the Steelers will have one of the top receiving corps in the league.

Your secondary should be able to cover us, but only if you can get to and pressure the quarterback. Ben holds the ball, and is the best in the league by far at extending the play. It doesn't matter who you have in the back field, no one can cover NFL receivers that long.

Black and Gold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Steelers receivers are mostly young, and they are not fully developed. Even Wallace is only in his second year and openly admits that he is still learning the intricacies of route running. I would definitely give the edge to the Packers in the WR dept. Give us another year or two and I guarantee the Steelers will have one of the top receiving corps in the league.

I see that as a big mismatch in favor of Green Bay's superb secondary; the young receivers will really need to step up their game. Miller is going to get a lot of looks from Roethlisberger and Ward is always cluth. Maybe Spaeth gets a few surprise looks on TE screens if Green Bay sells out to defend the run.

Another potential problem is that everyone just assumes Roethlisberger will routinely extend plays--I'm not so sure that will be the case if Matthews and the D-line starts living in the backfield.

It's a pessimistic viewpoint but it sure looks like Green Bay holds a lot of the cards in this matchup.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I look at who to match up and this is what I see:

Wallace covered by Williams
Ward covered by Shields
Miller covered by Zombo/Collins/Woodson
edge WR covered by Woodson

Passing game edge is Green Bay
Running game edge is Pittsburgh

the under team in both catagories will decide the game.

No, the packers are not underestimating anything - no way this is a cake walk for either team. Most likely its a chess match of defensive schemes.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
steelers are a very good team,and it won't be a cake walk to beat them but d-line is up to the task,eagles adlanta bears thought they could run all over us,the problem with that is they didn't wear the d-line down,and I don't think steelers will either,now I'm not saying they won't get yards or anything but of late d-line has been pretty good at not giving up much so I think when they see that steelers o-line will try and throw more.

GoSlash27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny, our last few opponents thought the exact same thing (no depth at WR).

Run with that. :D

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to underestimate the Steelers receiving corps, they have talent there, make no mistake of it. But I think the Packers D will be able to handle them. They are certainly not the worst the Packers have faced. The key is to get to Big Ben before he has a chance to light up those receivers and get a rhythm going. I think with our pass rush, we are more than capable of ruining Big Ben's day.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we have a deeper roster of WRs but they have a big advantage at TE. Hines Ward is just another version of driver, older slowing down but still able to make great plays. wallace is different than anyone we have imo.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts