Personnel Formations

D

Deleted member 6794

Right, but to figure out what that means relative to the rest of the league, you'd have to do that for the other 31 teams.

The point is the trajectory.

There's no doubt the Packers run the ball more often this season. The question remains about the reasons for it though.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There's no doubt the Packers run the ball more often this season. The question remains about the reasons for it though.

I can help you there-- it's because run/pass disguise and play-action are fundamental to LaFleur's scheme in ways that they were not in McCarthy's. This offense and it's pedigree has a long, long history demonstrating this.

D

Deleted member 6794

I can help you there-- it's because run/pass disguise and play-action are fundamental to LaFleur's scheme in ways that they were not in McCarthy's. This offense and it's pedigree has a long, long history demonstrating this.

Once again, I'm quite sure a lack of talent at wide receiver has a lot to do with it as well.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Once again, I'm quite sure a lack of talent at wide receiver has a lot to do with it as well.

Virtually every team in the league running this offense is right in line with where the Packers are in terms of run/pass ratio.

This is what I mean when I talk about people forcing everything into the narrative of the WR position. No matter the actual evidence, it always come back to people's draft day disappointment.

D

Deleted member 6794

Virtually every team in the league running this offense is right in line with where the Packers are in terms of run/pass ratio.

This is what I mean when I talk about people forcing everything into the narrative of the WR position. No matter the actual evidence, it always come back to people's draft day disappointment.

There's no evidence for MLF not using a lot of 11 personnel once he has enough talent at wide receiver. Actually the 2017 Rams suggest the complete opposite.

But with one of the mods already getting annoyed by a discussion I'm leaving it at that.

Here we go again. :tdown:

OMG, who could have thought there would be posters discussing about a topic they disagree on on an internet forum???

If you can't handle that it would have been best not agreeing to being a moderator.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There's no evidence for MLF not using a lot of 11 personnel once he has enough talent at wide receiver. Actually the 2017 Rams suggest the complete opposite.

But with one of the mods already getting annoyed by a discussion I'm leaving it at that.

I’ll do the same.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The reluctance some have on this forum to tolerate normal debating is a little strange.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The reluctance some have on this forum to tolerate normal debating is a little strange.
Normal debate is fine. It's the rehashing of the same points time after time across multiple threads or insistence on getting the last word that kill boards and drives away newbies. Agreeing to disagree is a valid result.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

OMG, who could have thought there would be posters discussing about a topic they disagree on on an internet forum???

If you can't handle that it would have been best not agreeing to being a moderator.
I was referring to the “lack of talent” mantra which you continually beat into the ground.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think if you look at the Packers 2020 distribution of receiving targets and reception yards for WR, TE and RB as a whole it would closely resemble most other teams in terms of targeting percentages. We have plenty of weapons at different positions.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Updating this information for 2020.

11/20 Personnel (3 WR): 54%

12/21 Personnel (2 WR): 38%

22/13 Personnel (1 WR): 6%

Lazard is listed as a WR, and often used that way, but he is also routinely used like a move TE and does a lot of work like a TE would tight to the formation and in the blocking game.

Dominique Dafney has been playing more lately in that H-Back role that was meant for Deguara. I think we would have seen a little bit more of a trend away from 3 WR sets had Deguara stayed healthy. He would have taken 250-300 snaps away from the WR position.

You guys are funny. I’ve been saying this since we hired the guy. Time to visit some old posts The run game and play action off it has revitalized Rodgers. The next few years should continue to be fun.

D

Deleted member 6794

Normal debate is fine. It's the rehashing of the same points time after time across multiple threads or insistence on getting the last word that kill boards and drives away newbies. Agreeing to disagree is a valid result.

In my opinion moderators telling long tenured posters to stop discussing about a topic they have different opinions on is a great way to kill a board as well.

I was referring to the “lack of talent” mantra which you continually beat into the ground.

Do you honestly disagree the Packers lack talent aside of Adams at wide receiver???

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
In my opinion moderators telling long tenured posters to stop discussing about a topic they have different opinions on is a great way to kill a board as well.

Do you honestly disagree the Packers lack talent aside of Adams at wide receiver???
I think Scantling, Lazard and St.Brown all fill roles needed in our offense quite well and I also think that all 3 are still developing and trending up. I think that we have more talent problems on defense than we do on offense. IMO, we are one better than average player short on the defensive line and I still think we are short a turnover creating player in the back end.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I just want to make sure everyone knows where I’m coming from.
I very seldom post as a moderator and try to let everyone know when I am.
I’m almost always posting as just one of our regular posters.

carry on.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Scantling, Lazard and St.Brown all fill roles needed in our offense quite well and I also think that all 3 are still developing and trending up. I think that we have more talent problems on defense than we do on offense. IMO, we are one better than average player short on the defensive line and I still think we are short a turnover creating player in the back end.
I think we'll see more playmaking back there when the front end starts doing better. We are starting to see it the past few weeks. More consistent pressure, more opportunities. I think Amos is steady, and makes plays. Jaire is a heck of a defender, but I'm not a huge fan of his hands in the playmaking category. Savage I've always thought was, and he's starting to come around in a big way.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

if posters don’t agree with a mods statement then take to private , think bashing a mod in public shows disrespect. If posters don’t like it then maybe they shouldn’t agree to the terms here

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think we'll see more playmaking back there when the front end starts doing better. We are starting to see it the past few weeks. More consistent pressure, more opportunities. I think Amos is steady, and makes plays. Jaire is a heck of a defender, but I'm not a huge fan of his hands in the playmaking category. Savage I've always thought was, and he's starting to come around in a big way.
Hope you’re right. Think we need one of the LB’s to be that type of turnover creator.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
On sticky fingers pop lol

not sure what happened.. for last 6 months this forum acts funny for me. Typing a reply freezes and I have to close out and re open

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Scantling, Lazard and St.Brown all fill roles needed in our offense quite well and I also think that all 3 are still developing and trending up.

While I agree that all three fill a role in the Packers offense none of them is good enough to consistently be relied on being a decent #2 receiver.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
While I agree that all three fill a role in the Packers offense none of them is good enough to consistently be relied on being a decent #2 receiver.
I think the so called #2 WR is a manufactured term by fans and pundits. In our offense we have guys filling different roles within LaFleur’s scheme. My guess is the term #2 WR is never uttered inside the offices at 1265 Lombardi Ave. It has no meaning in context with the Packers. This offense is effective because it throws a multitude of weapons, and formations with different possibilities at the defense. It appears that some of our posters either do not like or do not accept that reality.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the so called #2 WR is a manufactured term by fans and pundits. In our offense we have guys filling different roles within LaFleur’s scheme. My guess is the term #2 WR is never uttered inside the offices at 1265 Lombardi Ave. It has no meaning in context with the Packers. This offense is effective because it throws a multitude of weapons, and formations with different possibilities at the defense. It appears that some of our posters either do not like or do not accept that reality.

You're talking about semantics but the fact remains that the Packers don't have another wide receiver aside of Adams consistently having an impact.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You're talking about semantics but the fact remains that the Packers don't have another wide receiver aside of Adams consistently having an impact.
The roles the other WR’s have filled have had a very big impact on this offense’s success IMO. Plenty of first downs and touchdowns in that group. Great blocking too for the RB’s.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i always say, there are 1000 roads to Rome. football is a team sport. There are lots of ways to win and you're never going to get everything you want. You can improve a good number of players on every team in the league. i'd say our team is doing pretty well in a sport that requires a team to win.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Packers ran the ball 32 more times this season. I'm going to guess most of that is the team leading more games this season and trying to run down the clock. Packers offense averaged 8 more points a game this season while the defense only have up 4 more points compared to last year. Really though, two more rush attempts a game isn't that big a difference.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The roles the other WR’s have filled have had a very big impact on this offense’s success IMO. Plenty of first downs and touchdowns in that group. Great blocking too for the RB’s.

Good blockers aren't nearly as hard to find at receiver as good, uh, receivers. Outside of Adams, Lazard is an excellent blocker (close to elite) and decent receiver, the others are subpar at best. In fact, Lazard, MVS, and Adams are the only receivers that blocked in the running game more than 90 times all season (per PFF play analysis).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts