Percy Harvin?!?

H

HardRightEdge

I really can't believe this is a serious consideration by the Packers.
Given how hard it is to believe, it's fair to assume the interest is not serious. Maybe this the case where Thompson wants to drive up the Pats cost by expressing interest to get back at the Pats for showing interest in Starks.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This would make about as much sense as the Packers signing Johnny Manziel. Don't need another slot receiver, don't need a KR, since Janis may be kept just for that purpose( as well as gunner on punts), don't need the distraction, don't need the cap hit. As much as I would like to see another veteran WR on the team, Percy Harvin isn't on that list.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given how hard it is to believe, it's fair to assume the interest is not serious. Maybe this the case where Thompson wants to drive up the Pats cost by expressing interest to get back at the Pats for showing interest in Starks.
Even that though, I don't think Ted is the type of person to play those games. I think he's probably as straightforward as anybody in his dealings and he's the type that spends most of his time, energy and resources on this team, and not on playing with others. I could be wrong of course, but that's just how I see Ted. I wish I had the discipline to keep focus on tasks as I perceive him having :)

H

HardRightEdge

Even that though, I don't think Ted is the type of person to play those games.
You might be surprised. He is generous with his drafted players, but I wouldn't conclude more than that.

He doesn't talk much, and when he does it's in vague generalities. How much do you really know about what goes on behind the scenes?

To cite just one example where Thompson misdirection may have occurred, going into the 2012 draft he repeated the same old "best player available" generalities. He then took defensive players with his first 6 picks after the horrible defensive play in 2011.

His explanation, and I paraphrase, "I must have gone crazy." Do you believe that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beyond a general statement somewhere, I don't think Ted puts time into other things. For example the Percy Harvin thing, if he's answering questions and someone asks if they're interested, I'd expect him to say yes, actually more likely to say, " we're interested in anybody that can help us win games". I dont actually expect him to contact his agent and bring him in for an interview ir those other things that will take his time and energy away from where his focus is in this team.

OP
OP
P

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted graduated with honors from the "The Less Said The Better" school of business and public speaking.

H

HardRightEdge

I dont actually expect him to contact his agent and bring him in for an interview.
All it takes is a 5 minute phone conversation with his agent. He rings him up, feels him out as to what the player might be looking for, and says, "I may be getting back to you." That constitutes "interest", and the time expended is no more than walking down the hall for a coffee refill.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he could, I just don't think he does, unless he's genuinely interested. Just like I think he and his staff evaluated Trevathan extensively and decided he wasn't in their plans, which is why he never picked up the phone apparently for him either. Outside of being vague in the media, I just don't see him as the type of guy to play games

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted graduated with honors from the "The Less Said The Better" school of business and public speaking.
Can you imagine being on a date with him?

Date: I really like this restaurant Ted. Have you been here before?
Teddy: ...........
Date: So, what do you do for work?
Teddy: I work for a public company.
Date: What do you do there?
Teddy: I work in HR.
Date: Gee, that sounds interesting. Tell me more.
Teddy: ........... ...........
Date: (Thinks: this isn't going anywhere) So uh, are you interested in me? Want to go back to my place for a night cap?
Teddy: I'm interested in anybody that can help us win games.
Date: Is that a yes?
Teddy: ........... ........... ...........

OP
OP
P

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you imagine being on a date with him?

Date: I really like this restaurant Ted. Have you been here before?
Teddy: ...........
Date: So, what do you do for work?
Teddy: I work for a public company.
Date: What do you do there?
Teddy: I work in HR.
Date: Gee, that sounds interesting. Tell me more.
Teddy: ........... ...........
Date: (Thinks: this isn't going anywhere) So uh, are you interested in me? Want to go back to my place for a night cap?
Teddy: I'm interested in anybody that can help us win games.
Date: Is that a yes?
Teddy: ........... ........... ...........

Yep. that's our boy! :D

H

HardRightEdge

he could, I just don't think he does, unless he's genuinely interested. Just like I think he and his staff evaluated Trevathan extensively and decided he wasn't in their plans, which is why he never picked up the phone apparently for him either. Outside of being vague in the media, I just don't see him as the type of guy to play games
Sure, in the media game one can "express interest" without ever picking up the phone. All you have to do is leak a purported interest, off the record, to a reporter. ;)

Or that phone call I described? The team gets mentioned with others when the agent leaks the list of interested teams in an effort to stoke a little auction competition.

Members online

Latest posts