Peppers adds spice

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

He's been an impact player and I think as he gets more comfortable, he's obviously doing some things that he hasn't had to do a whole lot of," Capers continued. "You saw him drop and make the interception and return it for a touchdown. I think we know he can rush the passer.

"He's a good matchup, he's a good guy to have on the other side of Clay to complement him, and I like the rotation with Mike Neal and Nick Perry."

It's that whole doing new things part that makes Peppers most dangerous.

Is he the Julius Peppers of 10 years ago? The one raging off the edge for 11, 12 sacks on demand? Probably not. He played 62% of the snaps last week, after going 67% the week before. Green Bay doesn't need that Peppers, rather an efficient one that will change the game any moment.

And Capers is doing that through a bolder, ubiquitous role. This is more than getting from Point A to Point B faster than whiffs past. In a constant, amoeba-like, "Will he rush? Will he drop?" state, Peppers is a different breed.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
From Packer Update's "Peppers Has Been A Bargain"
Peppers has only 1.5 sacks, but that number doesn’t tell the whole story. He also has 15 quarterback hits and hurries (second on the team to Matthews’ 16), three passes defensed, a forced fumble, an interception and a touchdown. And even more impressive than those numbers is how adept the career-long defensive lineman has been in pass coverage.
http://packerupdate.net/?p=36600

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has a very high PFF grade as well.

If I may ask, where do you find PFF grades?

And Peppers has been a real nice addition. I've been very impressed. I hope Matthews is 100% after this mini bye so he can get back to being his usual self.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I may ask, where do you find PFF grades?

And Peppers has been a real nice addition. I've been very impressed. I hope Matthews is 100% after this mini bye so he can get back to being his usual self.

profootballfocus.com

D

Deleted member 6794

I have been impressed with Peppers so far, will be interesting to see if the Packers hold on to him for next season when his cap hit would increase to $12 million.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think he's finding his way with this team. He still clearly has significant play-making ability and is a clear and present danger on any given play.

Reaction score
After Week 2. I began to question Peppers new role in the "elephant" and if it was maximizing his potential as a Wooly Mammoth. At that point the only thing that stood out as related to "elephant" was the dung we left behind in the Seattle dome.
Then comes the Lambeau leap. Truly a beautiful moment that every Packer fan will remember.
But what I personally like most about Julius Peppers? (Other than that was my grandfathers first name) there's no drama. he's just a good guy that turns it on like a switch when he steps in the arena. We don't need the distraction or the reputation that comes with a "Sherman". I'll trade a pound of that arrogance for a gram of discipline.
As my Grandma used to say " he wears well".
It's noted also that as Peppers has made adjustments he is improving each week and he's gaining confidence in my estimation. He sure makes me feel confident. As his performance had improved from week 1, I don't think its coincidence that our D as a whole had made improvements in unison with him. IMO I don't think we're anywhere near his ceiling cap of performance. We are about to get a taste of something special, as the year progresses he will show us examples of how experience and knowledge are irreplaceable. Instinct is a rare commodity that Peppers possesses and that's worth 7 MIL alone. I think he was a Phenominal addition.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
But what I personally like most about Julius Peppers? (Other than that was my grandfathers first name) there's no drama.
Your grandfather's first name was JuliusPeppers? ... That's odd. Was his last name Twiddlemylobes? Seriously, I too appreciate Peppers' demeanor. He's the opposite of a braggart and my very old school nature appreciates that. As the Packer Update writer notes, the one area he could improve is vs. the run, and of course he has a lot of company there. But overall he's been great.

Reaction score
My new Packer drink:
The "Golden Julius"
2parts Orange Julius
1part Jose Cuervo Gold
.. Add a green lime or mint for garnishment.

Last edited:

PredatorPeppers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Peppers

College Football Awards and honors

Sporting News Freshman All-American (1999)
First-team All-ACC (2000)
Second-team Associated Press All-American (2000)
Second-team Football News All-American (2000)
Division I-A sacks leader (2000)
First-team All-ACC (2001)
Consensus first-team All-American (2001)
Bronko Nagurski Trophy finalist (2001)
Chuck Bednarik Award (2001)
Bill Willis Trophy (2001)
Lombardi Award (2001)

NFL awards and honors

NFL Rookie of the Month (10/02)
2002 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year
Pro Football Weekly All-Rookie Team (2002)
2004 NFL Alumni Defensive Lineman of the Year
2004 NFC Defensive Player of the Year
2013 Brian Piccolo Award
NFL 2000s All Decade Team
Pro-Football-Reference All 2000s Team
100 Sacks Club
2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 NFC Pro Bowl
2004, 2006, 2010 All-Pro First Team
2008, 2009, 2012 All-Pro Second Team
Six time NFC Defensive Player of the Week (11/13/06, 11/9/08, 11/1/09, 11/18/10, 12/23/12, 10/2/2014)
Four time NFC Defensive Player of the Month (11/2004, 10/2006, 11/2010, 11/2011)

Panthers franchise records

Most career sacks: (81)
Most career forced fumbles: (30)
Longest Interception return: 97 yards (vs. Denver Broncos 10/10/04)

NFL records and accomplishments

Seventeenth most sacks in NFL history: 120
Tied for fifth most double digit sack seasons in NFL history: 8
Tied for fifth most games with at least three sacks: 9
Fourteenth most multiple sack games in NFL history: 30
Tied for ninth most forced fumbles in NFL history: 40
Second most interceptions by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 9 *10 career interceptions including time played as a linebacker
Most interception return yards by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 192 yds *241 career interception return yards including time played as a linebacker
Most interception return yards in a single season by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 143 yds
Most interception return yards in a single game by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 97 yds
Longest interception return by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 97 yds
Most combined interception and fumble return yards by a defensive lineman in a single season since NFL merger in 1970: 203 yds
Tied for second most interceptions returned for a touchdown by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 2 *3 career interceptions returned for a touchdown including time played as a linebacker
Third most passes defensed by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 62 *65 career passes defensed including time played as a linebacker
Second most blocked kicks in NFL history: 13
Only player in NFL history to record at least 100 sacks and 10 interceptions
Peppers has three career games with at least a half-sack and an interception-return touchdown, the most such games in the NFL since the sack became an official statistic in 1982.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Peppers is losing a little quickness but he still has his strength, and I think that's why he will do so well in the Elephant position. He doesn't need the quickness a 4-3 DE needs, and he is really long to help him take up lots of space in zone coverage. The Elephant is perfect for Peppers at this stage of his career IMO.

He ran away from Jerick McKinnon (who ran a 4.41 40 at the combine) on the interception returned for a TD, don´t think quickness or speed is an issue with him.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers has always had the ability. He's just not always had the motivation. With the Packers clearly a Super Bowl contender, Peppers has the motivation and Green Bay is reaping the benefits. Good signing by Ted. Hopefully we can help him get a ring and he can help the team bring a 5th Lombardi home.

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He ran away from Jerick McKinnon (who ran a 4.41 40 at the combine) on the interception returned for a TD, don´t think quickness or speed is an issue with him.
I thought the same thing watching that play:

NICE! He made the pick. OH! There goes the WR- he'll catch Pepp- WHOA, that's a LARGE DUDE to be running that fast...he's GONE baby, gone.

I think the thing to remember about his speed is that you care more about short area acceleration- how quickly can he get to top speed? His QB pressures/hurries are right there with CM3 right now- he's still getting off the ball at a high level, and that bodes well for us as the season wears on and opponents' Olines are increasingly dinged up.

I don't think Peppers is our issue. We have no Casey Hampton at the nose or Brett Keisel beside him. I wonder if we did the right thing setting Ryan Pickett adrift. He may have been worth keeping around for the 40% of the snaps we play our base defense because he just eats space better than anyone we have on the roster at the moment... I think this is the larger reason we suck defending the run.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think Peppers is our issue. We have no Casey Hampton at the nose or Brett Keisel beside him. I wonder if we did the right thing setting Ryan Pickett adrift. He may have been worth keeping around for the 40% of the snaps we play our base defense because he just eats space better than anyone we have on the roster at the moment... I think this is the larger reason we suck defending the run.

I´m still holding out hope that Pennel could be the guy capable of being the space eater in the base defense. While Guion played a pretty good game vs. his former team last week I don´t think he will do that constantly.

Reaction score
Guion was coming off a serious muscle strain and missed much of the prelim-playing time which in my estimation affects conditioning adversely. He's improving week to week and let's hope that Vikings performance wasn't a performance anomaly.
I Agree that Pennel holds the physical characteristics of an A+B gap stuffer in the 3man front. He's played effectively in college as heavy as 360's lbs. but he's trimmed down to what Louis Nix III referred to as " slim n ****" 330's. lol. He's a nightmare for local all you can eat restaurants

Last edited:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brute strength is one of the last things you begin to lose as you age. If anything, Peppers is stronger now than hes ever been. He also looks fast still to me.

Reaction score
I am very happy the Packers ended up with Peppers. I chuckle when the Bears fans say good riddance to Peppers and hello to Jared Allen. I feel that Peppers is twice the defensive threat Allen. Glad we got him!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am very happy the Packers ended up with Peppers. I chuckle when the Bears fans say good riddance to Peppers and hello to Jared Allen. I feel that Peppers is twice the defensive threat Allen. Glad we got him!

oddly enough one has had waaaaaaaaaaay more success against us than the other

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts