people have been waiting for favre to retire

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think since 96, people have been waiting for the day when they can honestly say "Favre doesn't have it, he should retire!" It looks like people are a little too quick to make that claim. The man has had his worst season and they look at that and say "he doesn't have it, retire!" That's just not true. Yeah, he isnt playing his best ball, but it has nothing to do with accuracy and arm strength. His decision making is good enough to win a superbowl, but when it happens during a bad, losing season people think he should hang it up.

People toss the words "excuses" and "Green and Gold goggles" when people defend Favre. That is just ridiculous. Just because people are biased doesn't mean they aren't right.

I just want to point out a couple reasons(or excuses, if you're ignorant) as to why Brett isn't having a great year. I agree brett isn't having a good year, but take in to account..the following..

INJURIES
-Javon Walker (pro bowl)
-Ahman Green(pro bowl, in contract year)
-Najeh Davenport(key Rb backup)
-a lot of other complimentary players that are usually key to playoff runs (patriots, few superstars, lots of complimentary players)

OFFENSIVE LINE
-2 new guards (klemm sucked, and played 10+ games when he shouldn't have played one)
-Clifton having his worst year
-Flanagan having a bad year (injuries,age)

COACHING
-Mike Sherman(not the best coach)
-Tom Rossley(a very bland offense when you have a hall of famer. He also pulls guards on run plays a lot, but the guards are new and average, and are not good at that)
-Jim Bates(hasn't done as much as people would have hoped)

BAD PLAYERS
-Ahmad Carroll(kills the defense. Constantly commits penalties and has an attitude problem, which got joey thomas cut...yet Carroll stays on the team. Interesting...)
-Mark Roman(Not a very good safety)
-BJ sander(3rd round punter of mediocrity. Also injured now)
-Ryan Longwell(missing the kicks that he made last year to win us games)
-arguments can be made for other players as well

GENERAL MANAGER
-Made some good cuts (Hunt,Joey Thomas) but isn't making the changes as fast as people were hoping.
-Never made a trade to help the defense,offensive line, running backs

Add those reasons + Brett not playing his best ball, and its easy to see why we only have 3 wins.

Lets see Brett lead the league in INTS when the above situations arent going on.

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, I'm not sure you really remember last season's "D".

So true...might as well have 3 new offensive linemen this year.

-Tom Rossley(a very bland offense when you have a hall of famer).
This is a true story....during yesterday's game against the Bears my girlfriend was in the kitchen making some holiday treat or something to that nature...I call in to her that we have a 3rd and 21 play coming up, what play will be called....and honest Abe, she said "probably a run play or a screen pass that will end up getting only 5 yards"....I believe it ended up getting 7. Some chick in the kitchen bakin' cookies new what the play was going to be, don't tell me opposing D coordinators don't.

I do want to see Brett come back with his tools in hand, and maybe a wee tad bit of lively play calling from someone.

Reaction score
Trom and East, I completly agree. However, Brett can't be left completly out of the blame. He should not force as much passes, and hasn't looked at other recievers as one would hope. Have his skills diminished, I cannot say. But I'll tell oyu this much, at 34 I would love to be able to have the strength Brett does. The fact is this, it hurts to see a man that you love to watch such as Brett come out week in and week out and put up numbers that would indicate he is a crap QB.

And to add a point to your list, (sort of double standard) WR's from past quitting..... such as Ferggy.

PACKATTACK4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman's Coaching Resume
83-84 Off Line Tulane
85-87 Off Line Holy Cross
88 OC Holy Cross
89-93 Off Line Tex A&M
94 Off Line UCLA
95-96 Off Line Tex A&M
97-98 TE, Assist. off line GB
99 OC/TE Sea
2000 HC GB
2001 HC/GM GB

Rosley's Coaching Resume
76 Off Asst. Rice
77 WR Cinn.
78-81 Passing Game Cord. Rice
82-84 RB/WR Mont. CFL
85 OC San Ant. USFL
86-87 OC Holy Cross
87 Off Asst. Den Dyn. Arena
88-89 OC SMU
90 QB Atl NFL
91-96 HC SMU
97 WR Chi NFL
98 Te Chi
99 QB KC
2000-05 OC GB

LOOK AT THIS!!!!!!!!!! Tell me one good team these guys ever coached. How did they end up coaching a team like GB? They are together linked from their days at the powerhouse Holy Cross 85-87 where they ran the run and shoot offense (or as Buddy Ryan calls it, The Chuck And Duck). Rosely calls plays like it's the chuck and duck days of the USFL or arena football. He also has the link to being Forest Gregg's coach at SMU another good bloodline. Sherman's claim to fame was being Holmgren's OC for one year. Being Holmgren's Oc is just a title, he calls all the plays, the Oc sits in the booth and let's Holmgren know what he sees from up there. Remember Sherm Lewis, he was Holmgren's OC in GB for a while, what happened to him when he left the Holmgren ambilicle cord? The Pack needs some Crediblity and NFL experience from the TOP DOWN.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
I think since 96, people have been waiting for the day when they can honestly say "Favre doesn't have it, he should retire!" It looks like people are a little too quick to make that claim. The man has had his worst season and they look at that and say "he doesn't have it, retire!" That's just not true. Yeah, he isnt playing his best ball, but it has nothing to do with accuracy and arm strength. His decision making is good enough to win a superbowl, but when it happens during a bad, losing season people think he should hang it up.

People toss the words "excuses" and "Green and Gold goggles" when people defend Favre. That is just ridiculous. Just because people are biased doesn't mean they aren't right.

I just want to point out a couple reasons(or excuses, if you're ignorant) as to why Brett isn't having a great year. I agree brett isn't having a good year, but take in to account..the following..

INJURIES
-Javon Walker (pro bowl)
-Ahman Green(pro bowl, in contract year)
-Najeh Davenport(key Rb backup)
-a lot of other complimentary players that are usually key to playoff runs (patriots, few superstars, lots of complimentary players)

OFFENSIVE LINE
-2 new guards (klemm sucked, and played 10+ games when he shouldn't have played one)
-Flanagan having a bad year (injuries,age)

COACHING
-Mike Sherman(not the best coach)
-Tom Rossley(a very bland offense when you have a hall of famer. He also pulls guards on run plays a lot, but the guards are new and average, and are not good at that)

BAD PLAYERS
-Ahmad Carroll(kills the defense. Constantly commits penalties and has an attitude problem, which got joey thomas cut...yet Carroll stays on the team. Interesting...)
-Mark Roman(Not a very good safety)
-BJ sander(3rd round punter of mediocrity. Also injured now)
-Ryan Longwell(missing the kicks that he made last year to win us games)
-arguments can be made for other players as well

GENERAL MANAGER
-Made some good cuts (Hunt,Joey Thomas) but isn't making the changes as fast as people were hoping.
-Never made a trade to help the defense,offensive line, running backs

Add those reasons + Brett not playing his best ball, and its easy to see why we only have 3 wins.

Lets see Brett lead the league in INTS when the above situations arent going on.

Favre is a star with a poor supporting cast.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
Favre is a star with a poor supporting cast.

So what your saying is that the Packers as a team suck and their only good player is a 37 year old who very well may be playing his last game this Sunday.
That pretty much sounds like what I was saying about the Packers back in August eh?
:roll:

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its true. I can only count 10 max where I can say "He is a very good player" and even some of those wont be on the team next year, so it wont matter.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"tell me one good team he has coached"...you are an idiot. How about the Packers for the past 5 years? Where was this post 5 years ago when he was hired. Christ, one sh1tty season and all of a sudden his entire resume' sucks. Get a grip people. Hindset is 20-20 but hindsight is making some of you guys look like ***holes.

Sorry in advance, Ryan!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack...you could make that arguement for Sherman if you look at his first 3 years, but since then his teams have consistently regressed, as has the play of his QB...even before all the injuries and defections.

They have a phrase for players that can be twisted to reference coaches:

"Record like Tarzan, coaches like Jane".

The guy has no balls when it matters most, (Philly playoff LOSS) and blunders critical game situations with regularity....or merely does not change one iota of his gameplan when facing an opponent two weeks later in the playoffs (Queens playoff LOSS). How about the second-half coasts when he gets a lead (KC LOSS)? Slow starts to seasons and games with alarming consistency? Don't even get me started on Novak, Slowik, Schottenheimer and the Queen bee...Tom Rossley....all personal pet projects of MS.

The man has had enough time to be judged...it is now a question as to what TT sees in him....that is why he gets a fat paycheck and we get to ***** and moan on a forum!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can find the same **** with every coach in the NFL. I can give you a friggin' littany of games that Andy Reid has "blown" (I'm only using Reid because that is the home team here). The grass is always greener....just ask eagle fans that want to run his *** out of town.

Anyway....my post was about bringing up the guys entire resume' after six season as an NFL coach. Five of them winning ones! If you think he sucks, fine. Don't go back and hash over his junior high record....

Members online