Packers v Titans Game Thread: Thursday Night Football Edition

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What should the GM do to improve this defense? They are so underperforming it is sickening. I put that on coaching.
So why is it since the SB every dc has their own thread or calls to be fired?

Diff gm
Diff players
Diff coaches

But it’s always the dc that’s the problem

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Diff gm
Diff players
Diff coaches

I won't go into a long explanation when it comes to Capers and Pettine, but will address Barry. I don't think there is anyone that knows players and football, that wouldn't agree that his starters are way underperforming. Even when the defense was fully healthy, they weren't playing well.

More directly to your question, if you have what is viewed as a talented group of players and they are underperforming, then it probably is coaching. If you don't have a lot of talent on defense, then your GM isn't doing his job. As far as players, you can't fire 11 players, all you can do is replace a few pieces at a time.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Diff gm
Diff players
Diff coaches

It's often the fit.

Barry was just a really bad hire. MLF fired Pettine because he was far too vanilla of a fit for our D -- only to go hire someone who is even more vanilla.

Not surprisingly, the runner up for the job, Ejiro Evero, who most of us wanted, is having plenty of success in Denver.

Sometimes, a guy is a good fit for a period of time, and then over the time for whatever reason, maybe he doesn't adapt, things become stale, etc, and then it's time to move on. See Dom Capers.

Barry was just a really bad hire from the get-go and someone who has an established record of not being successful at this level.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it’s not the DC, it’s the GM. These players didn’t sign or draft themselves.

No its the DC.

Too much talent for this defense to be underperforming.

A new voice calling the defensive plays is much needed.

A shift in defensive philosophy can still produce results midseason.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tennessee traded A.J. Brown. Lewan is in ir..Dupree and Landry have been out as well as ****** and Molden. They have had a banged up roster..yet still keep winning. It is coaching!!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tennessee traded A.J. Brown. Lewan is in ir..Dupree and Landry have been out as well as ****** and Molden. They have had a banged up roster..yet still keep winning. It is coaching!!

Bingo! Like I said. All throughout the game you heard Herbstreet talk about the type of guy Vrabel was, and he his guys play hard for him. Nothing of the sort has ever been said about MLF. Yes, he’s won a lot of games as a HC in the regular season, but has gotten his **** kicked and outcoached in the playoffs. Twice being the #1 seed.

Do you think Rodgers would have yelled at Vrabel, Bellicek, or Sean Payton?? No, he would not have. Like I have said MLF is SOFT, so his team is soft. The ONLY reason they beat beat the Cowpies is because McCarthy outsmarted himself.

The defense should’ve had a new DC after they lost to the sorry *** Lions.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So wait wtf I just watched that last Titans "Touchdown" How the fck is that a td and not an int pick 6?

He didnt maintain possession to the ground the ball popped out, absolutely never touched the ground and ended up in Ford's hands who untouched gets up and is off to the races...

Great play by Ford. Wow! Terrible that the refs and replay officials missed it...you gotta be kidding me haha smfh

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So wait wtf I just watched that last Titans "Touchdown" How the fck is that a td and not an int pick 6?

He didnt maintain possession to the ground the ball popped out, absolutely never touched the ground and ended up in Ford's hands who untouched gets up and is off to the races...

Great play by Ford. Wow! Terrible that the refs and replay officials missed it...you gotta be kidding me haha smfh
It’s different in the end zone, I don t even pretend to know the rules down there anymore.

And they kept saying it was replay aided? How can it be replay aided? It wasn’t challenged and it wasn’t called a TD to be reviewed in the first place?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
If the Packers had a set, they’d fire Barry and give Gray the interim tag. Then shop for your new DC this offseason. And if Gray did well enough, he should be given consideration.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Sometimes, a guy is a good fit for a period of time, and then over the time for whatever reason, maybe he doesn't adapt, things become stale, etc, and then it's time to move on. See Dom Capers.
I also think that both a DC and an OC have to adapt to the players they have each year. Whether that group changes due to injuries, free agency or other factors. In other words, play to your players strengths. Not to mention that if you run the same offense or defense every year, you become stale and predictable.

Putting the defense aside, since IMO they are woefully underperforming, the offense never adapted this season to the loss of Davante Adams and MVS. They came out day 1 looking pretty much like the same offense that we have seen for the last 3 or so seasons. Guessing they just expected one of the WR's to step up and be Davante and another, MVS. The offense has still not found an identity, nor consistency. Right now, they seem to have the most success when they use motion and change of direction, pre and post snap.

Seems the Packers have gotten very predictable and vanilla on both sides of the ball, maybe thinking they had the talent to pull it off. Time for someone to inject new life into this team and I think that needs to come from the coaching side. Stop bringing in old washed up DC's that bring in a mixed bag of failure and success, as well as tired energy. I think MLF is still a solid coach, but its time for him to start thinking about the rest of his coaches and shake it up.

JoePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bingo! Like I said. All throughout the game you heard Herbstreet talk about the type of guy Vrabel was, and he his guys play hard for him. Nothing of the sort has ever been said about MLF. Yes, he’s won a lot of games as a HC in the regular season, but has gotten his **** kicked and outcoached in the playoffs. Twice being the #1 seed.

Do you think Rodgers would have yelled at Vrabel, Bellicek, or Sean Payton?? No, he would not have. Like I have said MLF is SOFT, so his team is soft. The ONLY reason they beat beat the Cowpies is because McCarthy outsmarted himself.

The defense should’ve had a new DC after they lost to the sorry *** Lions.
This, but it needs to start at the top. Who has M.Murphy hired? Weakness all the way down. Can't necessarily blame the players but they need ppl with a different attitude. It's like Green Bay is supposed to be nice guys. Vince is rolling.
Many will disagree but only 2SB's with 2 franchise qb's is unacceptable.
Long road ahead if the status quo remains.
If you could hire Vrabel vs MLF, who would you choose?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s different in the end zone, I don t even pretend to know the rules down there anymore.

And they kept saying it was replay aided? How can it be replay aided? It wasn’t challenged and it wasn’t called a TD to be reviewed in the first place?

Hmm idk i guess i dont understand either because everytime i watched it. It looked like a clear int