Packers still have a lot of work to do after win

packerfan1441

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers offense looked good on Sunday, for the first half; there was also a strong defensive effort…until the second quarter. Almost everything that followed was an embarrassment for a team with such high expectations. The Pack opened, as expected, moving the ball with no trouble on a Lions defense that was suspect at best with their first touchdown coming after Jermichael Finley ran the wrong route and ended up in the same spot of the endzone as Donald Driver, but the catch was still made and it looked like the Packers were going to roll over Detroit yet again. Then the Lions got comfortable. This Lions team no longer gets intimidated by anyone as they’ve took each opponent down to the wire despite playing in extremely hostile environments. The Lions had done their homework on Green Bay and noted the Packers problems following a loss to Chicago in which Jay Cutler picked apart a battered secondary. Shaun Hill found holes in the defense nearly the entire game, while piecing together long time consuming drives. The only bright spot was that the defense kept them out of the endzone, although had Jason Hanson connected on all his attempts, I’m not so sure the offense could have pieced together a drive to win the game. The running game for the Packers got progressively worse and the passing game disappeared in the second half with Aaron Rodgers only putting the ball in the air 17 times.

The Packers have a lot of work before taking on the Redskins in Washington next Sunday, especially with the recent news that Morgan Burnett is now done for the year. The penalties weren’t nearly as prominent Sunday but the offense was just not clicking and the defense has major weaknesses that have been exposed the last two games, mainly the lack of a strong secondary. Though Charles Woodson and Nick Collins are all-pro players, they are only able to patrol half the field and the Packers have inexperience with the other half of the secondary that is being gouged; the defense just has to be able to hold strong until week six where hopefully Atari Bigby and Al Harris will return for a playoff run. Either way, there is still a lot of improvement to be made and the Packers are lucky they didn’t lose, I for one was embarrassed by how bad we looked. Although I will give credit to Detroit, they had a great game plan and their defense made plays on Aaron Rodgers, but the Packers have too talented of a team to be played within two points of a rebuilding squad. Hopefully coach McCarthy will figure things out over the next few days and the Packers will be ready come Sunday.

Follow me at Green Bay Packers Insider

Members online

Latest posts