Packers sign T Rick Wagner

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Hooper is out of the picture at TE. Bummer but he doesn’t deserve to be paid more that Kittle. Oh well, that’s how FA works.

Anyone have any other ideas for TE? The draft is pretty weak, not that it’s a good solution anyway.....

Kittle is on a measly current contract figure...no worries he will make far more.

As for FA's I've shared plenty of options...the signing of Hooper in Cleveland does make me scratch my head further on if the RFA Ricky Seals-Jones for CLE gets signed by them...he is a young but very promising and more proven than either Stern or Tonyan for us. Keep a keen eye out for things Seals-Jones associated.

H

HardRightEdge

I like it. A rookie is most certainly going to be the future at the position, however Wagner is solid enough that this move alleviates the need to take one at #30 (or trade up).
Yeah, Wagner will be competing with somebody for the job.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If, and it's a decent if, Wagner can return to his 2017 and 2018 form, it's a really, really, good signing.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Hooper is out of the picture at TE. Bummer but he doesn’t deserve to be paid more that Kittle. Oh well, that’s how FA works.

Anyone have any other ideas for TE? The draft is pretty weak, not that it’s a good solution anyway.....

Sign Witten for cheap. Continue to develop talent is my preference. I'd rather not send a 2nd and a 5th for Njoku.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wagner signing appears to be an example of a great use of free agency. Guy was a good RT every year except last year. Chances are he'll be very good in Green Bay for not much money.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Letting a guy go doesn't automatically mean they're worthless. Just saying. Fiscal reasons govern many a cut/release.
Did not say he was worthless. I don't know anything about him except that Stafford has done a lot of backfield running around. Considered serviceable for his entire career (which is what Rotoworld had to say) and then bad last year. I only said what I said. I think we may find out that our young O line coach is much better than Campen ever was. Who I did not think was very good.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quote from an article:

"He ranked 12th among all NFL tackles (right and left) in ESPN's Pass Block Win Rate (91.7%) last season, giving Aaron Rodgers a pair of top-notch pass protectors (left tackle David Bakhtiari led all tackles at 95.7%). Wagner ranked 24th (89.3%) in that metric."

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Letting a guy go doesn't automatically mean they're worthless. Just saying. Fiscal reasons govern many a cut/release.
On second reading, I can see where you may have thought I was saying he was a lousy player. But I really did not mean that. I don't know. But I am hopefull that our O line coach can bring out the best in him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On second reading, I can see where you may have thought I was saying he was a lousy player. But I really did not mean that. I don't know. But I am hopefull that our O line coach can bring out the best in him.

Oh no worries man. He is not a STUD RT of anyone's future...but he truly is the signing you do when you have a needed hole and hopefully transition to future coming in April.

I was shocked he was rated as high as he was honestly.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:... If you were joking
:sick::sick::sick::sick:... If you weren't

If you aren't a fan of adding a HOF level TE that outperformed our starting TE in yards and tds last year then I'm not sure I can help you. Especially as the focus would remain on developing our own guys... Tonyan and Jace. I'm just not sure they're ready for the spotlight. Also, I'm curious to know what your better (less stupid emoji) plan is.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you aren't a fan of adding a HOF level TE that outperformed our starting TE in yards and tds last year then I'm not sure I can help you. Especially as the focus would remain on developing our own guys... Tonyan and Jace. I'm just not sure they're ready for the spotlight. Also, I'm curious to know what your better (less stupid emoji) plan is.

No more dad runners.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jace isn't ready, Written was a HoF guy, isn't close to that anymore, sign Ebron or Delanie Walker.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jace isn't ready, Written was a HoF guy, isn't close to that anymore, sign Ebron or Delanie Walker.

Witten is more durable than Walker who should probably retire at this point. Ebron I can see, reports are that the Pats plan to make a run at him though. For a one year wonder, I don't know that I'd get into a fight for his services considering his poor hands. Yes he caught 13 TD's with a prime Luck, but that system relies heavily on the TE. We don't. He won't see that volume. We need a guy who can role model for the next starter - ideally that's Jace. I think Witten is that guy. I'm hoping we don't send multiple picks for Njoku, but I don't think I'd be too pissed if we do.

metallicblaze

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sucks that this likely means the end of Bulaga but the Pack have been good in the past few years at letting older guys go (eg. Lang, Sitton) so I hope this move will work out well as well.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In addition, they just extended Kirk Cousin's contract. A lot of their defensive players' contracts are up, so the Vikings are trying to stop the bleeding. If they do anything on offense in FA, it would be a trade of Diggs.
I guess that I nailed the Diggs trade..... They sent him to Buffalo for four draft picks.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Witten is more durable than Walker who should probably retire at this point. Ebron I can see, reports are that the Pats plan to make a run at him though. For a one year wonder, I don't know that I'd get into a fight for his services considering his poor hands. Yes he caught 13 TD's with a prime Luck, but that system relies heavily on the TE. We don't. He won't see that volume. We need a guy who can role model for the next starter - ideally that's Jace. I think Witten is that guy. I'm hoping we don't send multiple picks for Njoku, but I don't think I'd be too pissed if we do.

Jace turning into an effective NFL starting TE in only his second season (after missing the vast majority of rookie season) would be one of the biggest historical anomalies in NFL history, most NFL TEs don't really take off until year 4. He certainly shows the potential to be a decent TE but counting on it this season is fool's gold. Ebron would add an athletic receiver to the group which would be nice but he doesn't block that well; the idea with Ebron is that he would be substantially cheaper than Hooper. You can't refuse to sign a guy that's cheaper than other options because of the things that make him cheaper. His catch rate wasn't great last year but it was much better in 2018 so I'm going to guess that Aaron will be able to hit him more accurately than Brissett.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jace turning into an effective NFL starting TE in only his second season (after missing the vast majority of rookie season) would be one of the biggest historical anomalies in NFL history, most NFL TEs don't really take off until year 4. He certainly shows the potential to be a decent TE but counting on it this season is fool's gold. Ebron would add an athletic receiver to the group which would be nice but he doesn't block that well; the idea with Ebron is that he would be substantially cheaper than Hooper. You can't refuse to sign a guy that's cheaper than other options because of the things that make him cheaper. His catch rate wasn't great last year but it was much better in 2018 so I'm going to guess that Aaron will be able to hit him more accurately than Brissett.

I'm not an Ebron fan, but I 100% with what you laid out here and if I saw we were signing him I'd be content with it for sure. Rodgers and this system would be much friendlier for him without a doubt.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Mark Andrews.

Austin Hooper.

George Kittle.

David Njoku.

Kyle Rudolph.

Will Dissly.

I could go on, and on, and on.