Packers sign T Rick Wagner

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have agreed to terms with the former Lions right tackle.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Beat me to it! Bye bye Brian B.....thanks for your years of Service! Gute is getting it done before Free Agency even begins!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Was hoping for a beefier signing. I'd prefer Bulaga but I understand it's a business move.

Bulaga is the better RT, but I am guessing that they got Wagner for a lot less money than Bulaga wanted. This all but allows them to let go of Lane Taylor and keep the OL in tact. A good way to head into the Free Agent signing period. 2 needs taken care of today, with guys who won't count against the compensatory picks as well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I literally almost predicted this signing when I saw him out there. GREAT pick up for the money if what I'm hearing. (erased...not the right figures)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
$11 Million for two years is what I'm reading...with some bonuses and escalators

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga is the better RT, but I am guessing that they got Wagner for a lot less money than Bulaga wanted. This all but allows them to let go of Lane Taylor and keep the OL in tact. A good way to head into the Free Agent signing period. 2 needs taken care of today, with guys who won't count against the compensatory picks as well.

That being said, Taylor or no Taylor I'd like a Day 3 guy allocated between RG and RT. Especially now that the new CBA mandates 8 OL to dress.

isocleas2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the Packer signing a couple tier 2 guys instead of putting all their cap space into 1 player (Littleton). They should get a couple of decent comp picks next year too, Ted would be proud.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the Packer signing a couple tier 2 guys instead of putting all their cap space into 1 player (Littleton). They should get a couple of decent comp picks next year too, Ted would be proud.

This is of worthy note, he is the second player announced today and neither will count towards comp pick calculations being cuts.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love both signings in terms of need. It diminishes our urgency to draft OT and ILB with our first and first pick respectively (because that is where we would have to draft these positions if nobody was added during FA). While we still need a WR, I'd still be open with drafting any of the 2 positions with our first pick, as good WR's can also be added during the 2nd, or possibly even the 3rd round. Nice work Gute, now let the first waves of FA die out and see what else we can scrap together.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love both signings in terms of need. It diminishes our urgency to draft OT and ILB with our first and first pick respectively (because that is where we would have to draft these positions if nobody was added during FA). While we still need a WR, I'd still be open with drafting any of the 2 positions with our first pick, as good WR's can also be added during the 2nd, or possibly even the 3rd round. Nice work Gute, now let the first waves of FA die out and see what else we can scrap together.

I have a feeling DL may be the next thing we see them move on...there are some bargain run stoppers out there...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
$11M total over two years base pay with $2.25M base salaries each year, plus $1M third day 2021 league year roster bonus, $250K workout bonus annual, up to $750K total annual workout bonus, plus $2.75M playtime base escalator in 2021, $500K incentive 2020

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling DL may be the next thing we see them move on...there are some bargain run stoppers out there...
I do hope so. That or a TE. I wouldn't touch any of the WR's with a 30 ft stick in the first days of FA.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Seems like we're getting Kirksey and Wagner for essentially what Bulaga would have commanded.

Bulaga is the better tackle, but I'm good with this. Very smooth way of working the cap while addressing two areas of question.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Money Shmunny. He better be able to play. Rotoworld said he was serviceable in 2018 and had his worst year last year. I mean, The lions let him go! I think this may show us if our young OL coach is better (as I suspect) than Campen ever was.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Wagner's poor 2019 performance he may be a stopgap starter in 2020. He isn't getting paid like a decent starting RT. Look for Gute to still use a lot of draft capital at OT. I could see a rookie playing behing Wagner for a year and then he would be kicked to the bench. Noticable drop off from Bulaga to Wagner. The O line just got worse if you compare Wagner's and Bulaga's 2019 season.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Wagner's poor 2019 performance he may be a stopgap starter in 2020. He isn't getting paid like a decent starting RT. Look for Gute to still use a lot of draft capital at OT. I could see a rookie playing behing Wagner for a year and then he would be kicked to the bench. Noticable drop off from Bulaga to Wagner. The O line just got worse if you compare Wagner's and Bulaga's 2019 season.
Either way the O line was gonna get worse if we weren't going to resign Bryan. Might as well take our losses now. Im very happy to get both Wagner and Kirksey for the price of Bulaga. We could still resign Veldheer too.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

All we were going to get was a stop gap performer, while we draft an OT.

As far as place holders, Wagner is a good one. Is he as good as Bulaga? No, but we were never going to be able to afford Bulaga.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Personally I like the signing, but makes me wonder if Veldheer was even going to garner similar or more...find that hard to believe but time will illustrate that out.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds like Gute is not waiting for free agency to begin before filling some holes....IMHO the two most glaring holes on this team were right tackle and inside LB, and now both have been addressed with veterans. Wagner is perhaps more of a stop-gap than a long-term solution, and we still may see a tackle drafted by the Pack in April.

I like the proactive approach this team is taking.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't base decisions off of compensatory picks...but with neither of these signing costing there....and most likely watching Bulaga and Martinez get serious contracts...Veldheer possibly getting a decent one and who knows about Tramon...we may have a solid Comp Pick calculations next year....LOT OF TIME LEFT but in the twilight years of Rodger's career Gute has show high qualities of multiple approaches so far.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I like the signing, but makes me wonder if Veldheer was even going to garner similar or more...find that hard to believe but time will illustrate that out.
True, it's tough to know about Velheer's market. However, the guy's hips were in terrible shape at the beginning of 2019 after stem cell injections. He did play well in one game for the Packers, but I don't think that any team would sign him to anything more than backup RT money with escalators if he ends up playing.