Packers sign T Rick Wagner

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hold on. All I initially said was that it was not realistic to count on Jace as a quality starter at TE next year. If you agree with that, then I'm seriously confused about our recent discourse. Not disappointed mind you, it was fun, but very confused.:D

I was more responding to the claim that it's rare for TE's to be effective starters in year 2. Wasn't talking about Jace specifically.

In regards to Jace, it's hard to say what he'll be doing because he didn't play much. What I do remember is him getting good reviews in training camp, players talking about how he plays with an edge/aggression, and I remember his last few games. I thought he played really well his last few games, in a variety of ways. He didn't get the ball much, but he got open a decent amount. Showed some good blocking. To me, he looks like he has more juice than what he tested. Then to round it all out, Gutey has really praised Jace. More than ordinary, imo.

I wasn't really a Sternberger fan during the draft, can't say I was real happy with the pick. I've liked what I've seen on tape in GB though, as limited as it was. I think it's fair to think he could've had a year similar to Hooper's rookie year if he had been healthy.

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love both signings in terms of need. It diminishes our urgency to draft OT and ILB with our first and first pick respectively (because that is where we would have to draft these positions if nobody was added during FA). While we still need a WR, I'd still be open with drafting any of the 2 positions with our first pick, as good WR's can also be added during the 2nd, or possibly even the 3rd round. Nice work Gute, now let the first waves of FA die out and see what else we can scrap together.
I don't want to scrap together anything I want a well oild machine

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both of these moves are pushing Gute out of a corner for the first pick having to be a certain position and more towards BPA. WR depth in draft makes it not a must, Wagner makes OT not a must, Kirksey makes ILB not a must...I LOVE these moves.
I still say we need a ilb because I'd kirksey better than Blake?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still say we need a ilb because I'd kirksey better than Blake?

Kirksey's skillset is definitely better than Blake for what we needed. Gute I suspect may not be done at ILB as I think a solid draft pick or at minimum a veteran bargain FA option is possible.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want bargain basement players I want to improve

Oh my word. Part of getting better is building those depth areas of a roster. We don't need a better DL than our best presently in Clark...but we could definitely use a run gap plugger with veteran experience at that. A guy maybe past his 30th birthday and not a big time cost because his role and job is not diverse but great for sub packages and few snap rests of Clark. A guy like Snacks Harrison or few others I've broken down.

Besides we are beyond without drastic cuts/restructuring in being able to pay for free agents that weekend NFL fans recognize their name of. This is the time where depth and experience and making a team better that way occurs.

Marcedes Lewis was that a few years back and is again this year...Goodson was that previously (sub million signing guy for us that fulfilled mostly his role). Sullivan another one that comes to mind...Redmond today even similar.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kirksey's skillset is definitely better than Blake for what we needed. Gute I suspect may not be done at ILB as I think a solid draft pick or at minimum a veteran bargain FA option is possible.

Patrick Onwuasor is really interesting to me.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Patrick Onwuasor is really interesting to me.

I've been silently watching and expecting he get a similar deal to Goodson....but the longer this goes the more affordable a guy is getting. He isn't a terrible option to consider.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darrius Shepherd? He isn't THAT short at 5'11". I expect him to get another shot, but I wouldn't hold my breath on him doing a whole lot after the sh*t show we saw out of him last season.

He needs to improve, most second year guys do. I'm still trying to picture opening day and your starting TE has 1 career NFL reception on 4 targets. Not an image that exudes solid starter to me. Could be worse, Boyle could be the starting QB. ;)
Darious Shepherd ? A ship show? Come on! He was a very raw undrafted rookie from Eastern upper south Dakota tech JV squad. He looked very surprising in scrimmage. He was quick in and out of his breaks, always getting seperation, and making a lot of plays. He jumped out at you in practice. I know it didnt translate well in the real games, the pro game was a little too big for him, but he now has a year to adjust.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darious Shepherd ? A ship show? Come on! He was a very raw undrafted rookie from Eastern upper south Dakota tech JV squad. He looked very surprising in scrimmage. He was quick in and out of his breaks, always getting seperation, and making a lot of plays. He jumped out at you in practice. I know it didnt translate well in the real games, the pro game was a little too big for him, but he now has a year to adjust.

Watch the touchdown he turned into an interception in the game vs Detroit at lambeau last season.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much appreciated. Outside of FA, we all better be praying that Jace makes a BIG jump.

Eric Ebron is available. Could be like the cook signing kind of. Dudes pretty smooth reminds me of Finley only a bit faster. Had a down year last season compared to the year prior but still put some promising footage on tape. I think he could be a nice weapon for Rodgers.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I know, I am being too harsh. I said the same thing about a certain recruit out of Saginaw Valley State. We just need to be patient and wait 4 years before we give up on him. :D