Packers release RB Knile Davis

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't even know who Kniles Davis was until an hour ago, so all I can say is.......about fricking time! While having a backup RB would not have made a difference on Sunday against Dallas, suiting up 1 injured RB and 7 WR's for any game is a head scratcher for me. I don't care if Montgomery and Cobb know how to carry the ball out of the backfield either, RB isn't their natural position, nor were they drafted or practiced continually as one. Fine for a change-up once in awhile, but leave the running to guys who are better suited to be RB's.

This is the one thing MM does that I don't like. These guys are not Percy Harvin and should not be used as such. Crazy how much I'm actually starting to get a little nostalgia for the days when Kuhn was actually getting a lot of carries in the backfield.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This is the one thing MM does that I don't like. These guys are not Percy Harvin and should not be used as such. Crazy how much I'm actually starting to get a little nostalgia for the days when Kuhn was actually getting a lot of carries in the backfield.

I think lining Cobb or Montgomery up in the backfield has its place in our offense, but neither should be viewed as RB's. I also think to have success with the play, you need to target them for a pass in that formation, way more times then you hand the ball off to them. Let Rodgers (gulp) call that one at the line, if he sees the defense is in a formation that favors a quick handoff to one of them, so be it.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want to post the most upvoted comment from a Chiefs fan regarding Knile:

"Davis is 100% straight line speed. He has very little lateral agility, doesn't break many tackles and won't make people miss. His vision is pretty meh as he tends to run directly into his blockers. He doesn't have very good hands, he doesn't run very good routes and he was the worst back on our team in terms of pass blocking by far."

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just want to post the most upvoted comment from a Chiefs fan regarding Knile:

"Davis is 100% straight line speed. He has very little lateral agility, doesn't break many tackles and won't make people miss. "

Wait......does he have a brother named Trevor?" :coffee:

Jmurray

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well La De Frickin Da!!!! What a joke....wait till he starts getting that STUPID run play to the right that NEVER works. The time has come for some fresh GM and coaching philosophy. Let's hope some more epic failures this season produce a welcome change in management. Yes Kool-Aid drinkers this team stinks and it has for the last several seasons.
A Head Coaching change may be the one bright spot to come from this year. I think the window for another Super Bowl with Rodgers has closed and we might as well start planning for the future.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A Head Coaching change may be the one bright spot to come from this year. I think the window for another Super Bowl with Rodgers has closed and we might as well start planning for the future.
We are 3-2 people are acting like we are done... come on now Rodgers is gonna light the bears up and feel better we can still run the NFC we got Seattle to beat and min we only 2 1/2 back from the Vikings they aren't gonna go undefeated no chance we can pick up a game come Christmas Eve they can have one injury to there team and be in big trouble way to early to count anyone out chiefs started 1-5 last yr look what happened.. yeah Rodgers has been suckin but he is still Rodgers he will get it back together I'd rather them start out ****** and finish strong then vice Versa last yr.. do people really think we are in trouble...? I do not whatsoever! I say that with 100% confidence!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

While a change at HC might be in the future for the Packers if we continue to see the same team we saw on Sunday, I don't think there are many HC's available that would make this current team instantly better. If we lose to the Bears on Thursday, I won't be surprised to see mass panic from some fans and cries of "rebuild now, trade AR". Personally, I think the Packers will be fine but have to get better and catch a few breaks in the turnover department as well as injuries. X. A. L. E. R.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How will this help them get back to their winning ways or for Aaron to throw better?

I hope the office knows what they are doing.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How will this help them get back to their winning ways or for Aaron to throw better?

I hope the office knows what they are doing.

I don't think this is being viewed by the Packer organization as anything but a necessary roster move due to Stark's injury. Nor should Packer fans view it as a magic pill.

H

HardRightEdge

Why Knile Davis? Here a few thoughts:

- Davis was a Combine freak. He ran a 4.37 at 227 lbs., with 31 lifts, a D-Lineman number. This is probably a guy they liked and had on their draft board for a lower spot than where he was picked.

- He has experience with a zone blocking scheme in KC, even if that does not appear to be an optimal fit for him.

- You'd figure Thompson has a decent relationship with his pupil John Dorsey and would have a comfort factor in getting an honest appraisal in terms of health status and attitude.

Having looked as some youtube clips, the comments in ThePerfectBeard's post #53 regarding Davis as a runner sound about right. Whether you want to call it instincts or quickness to the hole (two sides of the same coin), he does look a little slow and a little lost in getting to the line of scrimmage. The speed is there, but it's long speed. The 31 lifts don't seem to show up in bulling runs, but that may be a function of not hitting the line with confidence and authority.

We'll just have to wait and see what they can do with this guy. I'm reminded of Franklin who looked like a soft runner and 3rd. down back projection coming out, but turned into a line buck runner against Cincy in short order. The coaching will surely focus on one-cut-and-go, with the emphasis on the "go", though it's difficult to think KC wasn't issuing the same message.

This is the kind of move that should send a message to Davis that his career is now in half-life mode. Right hole or wrong hole, he'll need to be running hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT must really like the guy to part with a draft pick vs. just picking up a body.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing if we put him at KR. I also wonder how much of him we will see this Thursday. I'm guessing Don Jackson is no longer being rumored to be called up?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing if we put him at KR. I also wonder how much of him we will see this Thursday. I'm guessing Don Jackson is no longer being rumored to be called up?

I think its safe to say that Don had to cancel his Mercedes purchase this morning.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Umm you do realize right that Starks has been in the league longer than Davis and his sample much larger to inflate those numbers with. Bottom line, I hope as long as KD is here Starks never carries that ball again.
I want to know who your statistics teacher was.

I'm concerned about Davis' fumbling issues. I don't think he was ever taught the importance of ball security.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although we are unsure of the effect Davis will have until we watch him play here, I have to admit I feel better. Seeing GB do something out of the ordinary and trade for Davis shows me that are are making strides to improve. I know that should be obvious, but as you all know, a trade isn't normal for us. Feels good to see action being taken.

H

HardRightEdge

TT must really like the guy to part with a draft pick vs. just picking up a body.
Too much has been made of Thompson's accumulation of draft picks.

A 6th. or 7th. round pick is not of significant value value no matter how you cut it, and I'm sure that reality has not escaped Thompson's attention. If Davis is bad enough to be cut after a couple of weeks, there may be no pick at all. Prospective payment based on player performance makes for a favorable risk/reward calculation, such calculations being the true Thompson hallmark.

A low pick falling to you from a FA departing is merely a byproduct of the player evaluation and cap management processes. Gaining such picks, especially the low picks, are not a rationale for anything; holding onto low picks as though they are money in the bank is likewise a poor assumption.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
BJ Raji has announced that he is coming out of retirement and will be playing Thursday night at the #2 RB position.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Good thing the Packers kept trying to run Eddie late in the second half with the game almost out of reach. I'm sure that additional stress on his ankle really "helped". :coffee:

Getting frustrating watching one stupid move after another by an organization I ranked up there as one of the brightest.

Has anyone thought about checking the HVAC system up in Green Bay to make sure they are all actually breathing oxygen?

Reaction score
Winning Chicago but losing to the Falcons puts the Pack at 4-4, and that's no way to go into the mid-point of a season, particularly when the Vikings have been running the table thus far. I do think the Packers have had the harder schedule so far, so it's not impossible to see fortunes reversed. Hell, the Falcons started last year 6-0 and disintegrated long term, and this is still Sam Bradford we're talking about. The odds aren't fantastic, but it's a long season, we could look at 11-5 and winning the division with the right moves and solid momentum building. It truly hinges on AR getting a chip on his shoulder and taking charge, because right now things look leaderless.
We're having a hard enough time without adding losses. Our record would be 4-3, not that it's a huge consolation but winning this division game is now even more important than ever as it keeps is tied with the Skins for wild card contention and a game and a half ahead of Detroit

Last edited:
Reaction score
Im still wondering what happened to all the RBs we cut this year? was it because of the 7 WRs?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was hoping to see TT traded for Dasean Jackson or TY Hilton. Oh well..hope kniles Davis allows us to get rid of Starks. Use the first rd to take s corner..Shields needs to be released at years end as well. Not worth keeping with his health issues.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Im still wondering what happened to all the RBs we cut this year? was it because of the 7 WRs?

Not 100% on this but:

Brandon Burks: Cut, not playing elsewhere
Brandon Ross: Cut, not playing elsewhere
Jhurell Pressley: Cut, not playing elsewhere
John Crockett: On Packers IR
Don Jackson: On Packers PS

TT and MM seemed more then happy to have a 1-2 combination of Lacy and Starks to start the season (misguided or not). Crockett getting injured kind of threw a wrench into their plans for who would be #3. Carrying 7 WR's and 2 RB's was considered palatable, since both Montgomery and Cobb run out of the slot.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts