Packers release Joe Callahan

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn't have to reduce anyone but the team owners salary, if the cap is raised to reflect the increased number of players on the roster. Even if the cap wasn't increased, I wouldn't cry over some guys making a $100,000 less on $2M +/year contracts if it improved the team.

Increasing a roster to say 57, employs 128 more players, that money is there and can come from all different areas of the team budget. It's just a matter of the powers to be deciding if increasing employment of each team a certain number of players betters the final product they are selling. With as much talk as there is about how good GB is at building talent, an increase in the # of players they could have on all of their combined rosters, just makes them better IMO and probably the same could be said about most teams.
Uhhh, the team owners take is not going to be reduced. It would come out of the player salary pool. Rest assured that 7 more players would create more overhead costs for the owners, who would use that as a bargaining tool in lowering the player compensation pool percentage in the next CBA negotiations.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
LOL.....read this on a Saints Fan board:

re: Saints sign QB Joe CallahanPosted on 10/14/16 at 4:07 pm to CajunsTigersSaints
can we trade him back to the Packers for a 3rd rd pick?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sorry to see him go, but It's good for him.... he will make a heck of a lot more money on the Saints roster than he would have had he been signed to the Packer's practice squad.

Last edited:

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With short term injuries mounting, he was a luxury. Hopefully the Saints are in that position sometime during the season.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

sorry to see him go, but It's good for him.... he will make a heck of a lot more money on the Saints roster than he would have had he been signed to the Packer's practice squad.

The Packers would have most likely offered him the minimum salary for a player on the active roster to bring him back to the practice squad.

McCarthy being furious about Callahan being claimed by the Saints after the personnel department mustakenly expected him to clear waivers indicates the team would have been fine with offering him more money.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers would have most likely offered him the minimum salary for a player on the active roster to bring him back to the practice squad.

McCarthy being furious about Callahan being claimed by the Saints after the personnel department mustakenly expected him to clear waivers indicates the team would have been fine with offering him more money.
haven't seen that.... McCarthy "furious"?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it doesn't matter though, he would have had to clear waivers and he didn't. But who else were we going to cut? We're thin at DB right now with shields out and maybe never coming back. We're already in positions sometimes where it seems everyone was a UDRFA in the Dbackfield. Our dline is playing well, but we're short handed there. our special teams coverage is lacking, our Oline is playing well, but beyond the starters how good is it? We kept extra WR's, and i have no problem with it. One can still get cut, but they may have a plan for them too.

either way the 3rd string QB who can't help with punting, holding, special teams coverage, Dline, Oline, RB or provide defensive backfield help is a good place to create a roster spot for a returning defensive lineman that provides better than average run support. I think Pennel is poised for a big year, especially now considering how the guys he'll be jumping in with are playing around him.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
still wondering about Captains contention that McCarthy is furious about the situation.... anybody have a little link ?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They also got this roster exemption deal that allows them to keep smoke dawg and juice dawg off the roster until monday. You could have played the game without them and if someone blew up for the year you have your roster move. For TT to cut him and then not do anything is awfully annoying.

This is my list of options that could have saved him.
1. IR Banjo
2. Cut abby since they won't play him
3. Cut price as you could just put him back on the PS and Pennel would take his spot anyways in the rotation.
4. Cut one of the safeties.
5. Cut Goodson

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
still wondering about Captains contention that McCarthy is furious about the situation.... anybody have a little link ?

I read the same thing....something about staff advising him that they felt there wouldn't be any other teams interested in him at this time and he should clear waivers. They were obviously wrong.

If I find a link, will post it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They also got this roster exemption deal that allows them to keep smoke dawg and juice dawg off the roster until monday. You could have played the game without them and if someone blew up for the year you have your roster move. For TT to cut him and then not do anything is awfully annoying.

This is my list of options that could have saved him.
1. IR Banjo
2. Cut abby since they won't play him
3. Cut price as you could just put him back on the PS and Pennel would take his spot anyways in the rotation.
4. Cut one of the safeties.
5. Cut Goodson

I'm only guessing, but I imagine we will see Pennel (or Jackson) activated for tomorrows game and this was a way to do that without cutting another player they valued more then Callahan. The Packers information on the likelihood of Callahan not being grabbed was obviously wrong.

While I wasn't a fan of carrying Callahan on the 53, its apparent now that it was the only option if they wanted to protect him. I would be interested to know if they pulled a Sitton like move again and didn't shop him, if at all, in a timely fashion for a trade?

Calculated risk, they lost.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This QB move was like the approach behind stealing..
You only pay for it if you get caught

Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Saints must sure think highly of Callahan. They kept him over their draft pick Garrett Grayson who they drafted pretty high and I think can also be good.

Grayson is still on their PS I believe, but yes, they must have really wanted Callahan to put him on the 53.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saints must sure think highly of Callahan. They kept him over their draft pick Garrett Grayson who they drafted pretty high and I think can also be good.

I think the move shows the rest of the league was as impressed with Callahan in preseason as we were. At least he's out of the Packers' division and wasn't snatched up by Da Bears.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Very interesting. Hopefully, the Bears won't grab him first.
Seeing as the Bears will be looking to invest a high pick next draft in a QB, I don't understand why they aren't raiding practice squads to give extended tryouts to 3-4 QB candidates over the rest of this season to see if there is a diamond there and save the draft pick for a DE.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wonder what the reason for bringing in him then cutting him shortly after? Did they not like what they saw up close and personal? Didnt fit system? Whatever we know he works well here in Green Bay! We need a 3rd QB anyways.

Members online

Latest posts