Packers release Joe Callahan

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not exactly unexpected. 2 potential roster spots on returning defensive guys and maybe needing a RB promoted. Something has got to give. 3rd string QB seems like a good place to start.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully he holds tight and signs with the PS. You know job offers from horse **** teams like the bears and browns will be there.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully he holds tight and signs with the PS. You know job offers from horse **** teams like the bears and browns will be there.
If they claim him on waivers, he doesn't have a choice. If he clears waivers, then the GB practice squad is a good place to sit for the year. I wouldn't blame him on taking a shot at a backup roster spot elsewhere for next season either.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If they claim him on waivers, he doesn't have a choice. If he clears waivers, then the GB practice squad is a good place to sit for the year. I wouldn't blame him on taking a shot at a backup roster spot elsewhere for next season either.

I agree with taking a shot elsewhere. Unless we don't know something about Rodgers and a Favre like situation unravels, Callahan will probably never be a starter in GB, especially with Hundley ahead of him. But still a great place to learn his trade while doing it under a FHOF QB.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Hundley fits the mold of back turns trade bait starter and Callahan could have developed into the backup. He seems like a guy who could have a career as a backup.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Hundley fits the mold of back turns trade bait starter and Callahan could have developed into the backup. He seems like a guy who could have a career as a backup.
Hundley will never be worth more than what was given up to get him. "Trade bait" doesn't really exist when it pertains to backup QBs, as well. Draft picks are too coveted.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They need roster spots for Pennel, Goodson and maybe Jackson from the practice squad. With injuries the way they are in the NFL maybe they should increase the 53 man roster limit ?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They need roster spots for Pennel, Goodson and maybe Jackson from the practice squad. With injuries the way they are in the NFL maybe they should increase the 53 man roster limit ?

A topic debated every year by the owners and the league for sure. My vote would be 60, nice even number. :D With as much money as teams are making, they can afford 7 extra players. Players that allow a team to have more depth and hopefully improve the quality of the product the NFL is putting out there each and every Sunday.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...and-rosters/Gx6XK3RRamrRPbbRAlAoVM/story.html

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A topic debated every year by the owners and the league for sure. My vote would be 60, nice even number. :D With as much money as teams are making, they can afford 7 extra players. Players that allow a team to have more depth and hopefully improve the quality of the product the NFL is putting out there each and every Sunday.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...and-rosters/Gx6XK3RRamrRPbbRAlAoVM/story.html

Thanks for that article. I never even knew it had been considered.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think it's a sure thing that the Packers will activate Goodson for Sunday's game.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. Goodson may be cut instead of activated, but it may depend on Shields and Randall's health status. If those guys were healthy I believe that cutting Goodson would be a no-brainer.

I really liked Callahan. In fact, I think that if he's back in camp next year he could compete with Hundley for the backup spot. I'd be happy if either one came into a game to relieve Rodgers, should he get hurt.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would be shocked if Callahan clears waivers and the Packers don't resign him to the PS. The question will be, does he clear waivers? I would also be somewhat shocked if Callahan would get poached off our PS once he is there. He has to view GB as a pretty good place to learn his craft.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

That would reduce salaries of many of the other 53. Not an easy sell to union members. They are still only going to get 49% of the revenue under the current CBA. It has nothing to do with how much teams are making, it would take money or reduce salary/bonus increases of current players. That pits union leadership against union membership which would be an entertaining scenario.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That would reduce salaries of many of the other 53. Not an easy sell to union members. They are still only going to get 49% of the revenue under the current CBA. It has nothing to do with how much teams are making, it would take money or reduce salary/bonus increases of current players. That pits union leadership against union membership which would be an entertaining scenario.

It doesn't have to reduce anyone but the team owners salary, if the cap is raised to reflect the increased number of players on the roster. Even if the cap wasn't increased, I wouldn't cry over some guys making a $100,000 less on $2M +/year contracts if it improved the team.

Increasing a roster to say 57, employs 128 more players, that money is there and can come from all different areas of the team budget. It's just a matter of the powers to be deciding if increasing employment of each team a certain number of players betters the final product they are selling. With as much talk as there is about how good GB is at building talent, an increase in the # of players they could have on all of their combined rosters, just makes them better IMO and probably the same could be said about most teams.

Last edited:

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would consider the IR for Banjo. There are a billion safeties on the roster and this is his 2nd hammy injury of the season which means its probably going to be a very long recovery since he re-injured it already.

I don't care much for Goodson but the special teams gunners and gunner blockers have been awful this year. They were not awful last year when he played.

Reaction score
I would consider the IR for Banjo. There are a billion safeties on the roster and this is his 2nd hammy injury of the season which means its probably going to be a very long recovery since he re-injured it already.

I don't care much for Goodson but the special teams gunners and gunner blockers have been awful this year. They were not awful last year when he played.
Maybe so. But We have to be cognizant about Banjos performance on ST. He was arguably one of our best ST players in 2015 and had a decent start again this year.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

It doesn't have to reduce anyone but the team owners salary, if the cap is raised to reflect the increased number of players on the roster. Even if the cap wasn't increased, I wouldn't cry over some guys making a $100,000 less on $2M +/year contracts if it improved the team.

The owners for sure aren't ready to share any more money to employ additional players.

Banjo is a core special team player as well. I didn't realize he injured his hamstring for the second time already this season.

Sky King

Reaction score
I would consider the IR for Banjo. There are a billion safeties on the roster and this is his 2nd hammy injury of the season which means its probably going to be a very long recovery since he re-injured it already...
Per the latest McGinn/Cohen podcast, Banjo has injured each hamstring. It's not a recurrence involving one leg.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts