• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's quite a jump from 31st place to 3rd least injuries. I've been tracking their records for a few years. Here are the Packers rankings that I tracked:

2008 - 17th place
2009 - 8th place
2010 - 30th place
2011 - 16th place
2012 - 32nd place
2013 - 31st place
2014 - 3rd place

It's too early to proclaim MM's changes as the catalyst for our good fortune. Injuries are a combination of luck and precaution. We seem to have had bad luck and not the best precautions in place. It will take another year or two of relatively injury-free seasons to convince me that it's more than just a change in luck. It's good news no matter what.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope it was something they did, because then we can count on that moving forward. Often times it just seems that "that's just how it goes" is how you can rely on health or injury riddled seasons. I'm really hoping this wasn't just ebb and flow. Few injuries would be nice to count on :)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's hope it continues.
For me, 2013 will always be a lost, 'what if' season ' due to injuries.

It's funny, but to me, I'm completely at peace with the way 2013 ended. Had the game in Chicago gone differently, I'd probably feel the same as you. But after everything that happened with Rodgers, we still somehow won the division, somehow gave ourselves an opportunity. San Francisco came into our house and at the time they were just a little bit better than us. I am okay with that. We had opportunities, but we didn't choke the game away like we did in '14, we just got beat in a slugfest by a team that was still just a little bit superior to us.

With everything that happened in '13, when the season ended, I was happy with the things that we were still able to accomplish, (winning another division title, being competitive in the playoffs.) Whereas even though we had a better team this year, rather than being happy with what we accomplished I was more disappointed with what we didn't accomplish.

H

HardRightEdge

The likely scenario is regression to the mean, with 30th and 3rd. being the outliers.

You can't condition knee ligaments. Off season yoga does not prevent violent collisions. Refined practice regimes don't eliminate cut blocks or some lineman falling on a guy's leg. 15 yard penalties have not entirely deterred helmet-to-helmet on defenseless receivers.

Most injuries are "sh*t happens" moments.

Conditioning and practice regimes can help at the margins. A drop from 30th. to 3rd. suggests good luck more than anything else. The best defensive linemen leaving the division might be the best point of optimism.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Most injuries are "sh*t happens" moments. Conditioning and practice regimes can help at the margins. A drop from 30th. to 3rd. suggests good luck more than anything else.
I agree and think it's likely McCarthy's changes did help at the margins. I would amend your last sentence: 'The best defensive linemen, and DIRTIEST PLAYER in the league, leaving the division might be the best point of optimism.'

H

HardRightEdge

I agree and think it's likely McCarthy's changes did help at the margins. I would amend your last sentence: 'The best defensive linemen, and DIRTIEST PLAYER in the league, leaving the division might be the best point of optimism.'
I was going to say that, but I couldn't recall if Suh ever knocked a Packer player out of a game. Stepping or stomping on players seems to be his specialty, but in terms of disabling players he doesn't seem to be very skilled at it.

Members online

Latest posts