1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Packers put Kampman on injured reserve

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by News Bot, Dec 7, 2009.

1. News Bot

News Bot News Bot

Ratings:
    +53
    Source: ProFootballTalk.com

2. CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    So they finally put him on it.

3. Jluk

Jluk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    hola packers!,

what will happen when kampman comes back? that was a pretty serious injury and his age is creeping up on him. maybe its too early to say but obviously kampman doesnt like the 3-4, actually hes a more 4-3 but i watched the packers and it seems they still play the base 4-3 on passing downs...

just curious to hear what you guys think.

Falcons Fan

4. angryguy77

angryguy77 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    IMO I think he's going to Minn. I think that would be a perfect fit for him.

5. Jluk

Jluk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    ya i agree. i guess i can mark him off on my mock draft. hes a mid-west guy and will likely stay there.

g'luck this postseason. i am rooting for both the vikings and packers (lived in Minnesota for 3 years love the ppl)

6. KilrB

KilrB Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +99
    I think he will be franchised and traded.

Hopefully the Packers will get some good value for him. This couldnt have happened at a worse time for him. I hope he gets a good contract with a good team. The guy is a trooper.

Going to Minn is just crazy. With the million dollar hillbilly and Edwards it makes no sense to even suggest.

7. angryguy77

angryguy77 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    He would be an upgrade over Edwards. That depends on how he comes back from his injury. Kampman and Allen would be a nightmare for olines across the league.

8. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    There is no way the Packers staff will let Kampman go to Minnesota. We will likely tag him then trade. I consider Kampman as a Viking to be just as dangerous as Favre on that team.

9. KilrB

KilrB Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +99
    Just reading up a bit and found this isnt as far fetched as I had thought.

For some reason i thought Allen played the left side like Kampman, but he is on the right.

And Ray Edwards is in the final year of his rookie contract.

Interesting.

I would have a hard time seeing this happen though. Kampman will draw more attention and money than one team can offer to post on both sides of thier D-line.

This year is going to be interesting with the uncapped year. Teams may not want to franchise a player and shell out millions of dollars potentially when said player could only draw and be signed for significantly less.

10. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I guess this is all predicated that Kampman with the knee injury will command a salary worthy of the franchise tag around the NFL .

I am not sure with his age and injury another team will take that big contract in a trade, thus he will be a Packer next year if we tag him. He will not be a 100% till mid season next year, thats a lot of money to watch a guy heal himself. With all the other Packers with contracts coming due, I can see TT just letting him go free.

I guess it may come down too how much are the Packers willing to pay to keep him off the viking's team? In doing so they will pay him a top salary for one year while he heals himself the first 8 games next year, then continue this experiment with the transition to LB.

Meanwhile Brad Jones looks very capable filling the position.

Bottom line TT gambled on Kampman making the transition and it did not work, the injury happened at the worst time for Kampman and the Pack. In hind sight he should have been traded before the trade deadline this year when his stock and value was the highest.

11. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    This is why I believe TT will trade him on draft day. Instead of waiting a whole year till he gets better, Thompson will lean towards the cheaper, non-Viking helping route of ensuring Kampman is gone but with a quality draft pick for this season.

12. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Thats the part I don't understand with contracts, can we trade a guy who is not under contract? Don't we have to tag him or get him to sign at least a one year deal to trade him? How do we trade Kampman without tagging him? If we tag him he becomes over priced to trade IMO.

I might be missing something here or not understanding something.

13. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Actually you might be right on this one, the free agency starts on February-March following the Superbowl so I guess in order to trade him TT needs to franchise tag him.

14. PackerManLV

PackerManLV Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Well this situation sucks for both sides. For the packers and for kampman but more so kampman now he has to prove hisself over again, he's not going to get signed to a big contract if traded. The packers will have troubles finding anyone to pick up his salary do to his injury.

15. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    After what Matthews and Jones has shown, I'll say that Kampman is a plus, is a luxury. By no means he's a key player to our team, because of the 3-4.

I still think he can adapt and turn our pass rush into the best of the league.

But that's by no means a guarantee, and the way he had been playing, he has not been missed, not to the extent he would be had we been playing the 4-3...

16. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I agree with you. We should not tag him and try to get a contract deal done with him if he will sign. My guess Kampman's first choice is to play DE. He would love to stay with the Packers if he could play DE. Since that is not an option, I don't think he will be willing to sign any contract with the Packers and will be looking elsewhere reluctantly.

17. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +1,005
    Remember all the talk of franchising Tauscher last year on these boards? This is the same deal. I don't see it happening. They will let him be until after he has healed, if, and that's a big if, they think he can help after that they will look at him. I don't see anyone looking at him until after training camp. More of a concern should be the fact that Tauscher signed a one year deal when he came back.

18. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Believe it or not Kampman is still very valuable to our team. Like I've been saying here before the Packers absolutely suck when it comes to a 3 man rush. However watching a few highlights from earlier games this season, the packers rushed 3 with Kampman as a lineman and they've had 100% success with it. I think it would be helpful for the pack to keep Kampman for those types of situations but it would foolish to dish out that much cash for a situational backup.

19. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I agree with you if we can sign Kampman for a reasonable salary. I just see Kampman wanting to be given a chance to start as a DE, not finishing his career as a role player.

No matter how you look at this the Packers either lose a great player or will have to pay him an hugh sum to keep him.

If I am the GM, you just got to say we took our chances and we lost.

The sadest thing about all this is that Kampman is missing a playoff experience and maybe a shot at a ring.

20. Eclipse612

Eclipse612 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe the injury will keep other teams from offering him big time money. In that case, he could earn the same amount of money playing for the Packers and try to become a situational pass rusher in Capers' scheme. I don't know if it would be the best thing for him, but it would be sad to lose such a great professional and hard working guy.

21. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +1,005
    Actually since he is on the team he would get a ring. Just not be able to play.

22. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    As I've discussed with you, I believe that it's a different deal. Tauscher is 33. Kampman will be 30. Tauscher is a solid RT. Kampman is a stud DE.

I think we can't afford to tag him if there're other guys that won't sign, but he's too valuable (as trade bait) IMHO to be allowed to walk for free.

And, for reasons I've stated before, I think we could get at least a 3rd rounder for him, and I believe, if played right, up to a 1st rounder...
    I still belive he can turn into an OLB, but it'll take much longer than I thought.

And you're right, even as a situational guy he would improve this team a lot.

But my point is, right now, he has more value to the Packers as a trade bait than a player, something that didn't even cross my mind early in the season...

He would still be at least an impact player as a 4-3 DE, but his absence in this D isn't felt much...

23. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I don't understand your point. The packers have to have a contract on a player to trade him. At the end of the season Kampman is free to do whatever he wants, unless the Packers tag him by the deadline. If they tag him he will be one of the highest paid players at his position, by tagging him the Packers have agreed on a one year contract that Kampman is forced to accept, or sits out a year.

That said, is it your opinion that another team will still trade for him at that TOP dollar, even though Kampman will not be at 100% until mid season next year. For me this is the debate, no one on this thread will address this issue. Will other teams be willing to pay that kind of money in a contract with Kampman and give the Packers draft choices or players in a multi-million dollar deal?

Is Kampman worth 8 or 9 million a year contract and a 2nd and 5th round draft choice to another team? This is the question that needs to be debated.

24. ThinkICare

ThinkICare Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +15
    Let's go knock on Dan Snyder's door about Kampman.

25. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    My points:

1) Up until this year, he was the third in sacks since 2005.

2) He's a team player, with a high motor.

3) He's an every down player.

4) Prior to this injury, he had never missed a game.

5) He'll be 30 next year, which though is not young, as a DE, gives him at least 2 more years.

6) Teams can still work out a contract with him.

So, yes, as I've said before, teams will still want to spend a 3rd rounder at least on him, in my opinion.

And as I've said before, if no one is "holding out", if we manage to work out a contract with the key free agents, we should definitely tag him. Remember, we have two tags.

But if we're force to choose, say, between him and Jolly, I would tag Jolly. Depending on the legal situation, that is. Pickett may be expandable because or Raji, but I would definitely try to bring him back.