Packers put Kampman on injured reserve

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My points:

1) Up until this year, he was the third in sacks since 2005.

2) He's a team player, with a high motor.

3) He's an every down player.

4) Prior to this injury, he had never missed a game.

5) He'll be 30 next year, which though is not young, as a DE, gives him at least 2 more years.

6) Teams can still work out a contract with him.

So, yes, as I've said before, teams will still want to spend a 3rd rounder at least on him, in my opinion.

And as I've said before, if no one is "holding out", if we manage to work out a contract with the key free agents, we should definitely tag him. Remember, we have two tags.

But if we're force to choose, say, between him and Jolly, I would tag Jolly. Depending on the legal situation, that is. Pickett may be expandable because or Raji, but I would definitely try to bring him back.

But you failed to bring up the 8 or 9 million dollar contract. Everything else you have so nicely listed means nothing if the price is too high.

It will cost a team a 9 million Dollar contract and a third round draft choice to sign Kampman. The 9 million dollar contract IMO makes a trade unlikely. Thats what is up for debate, not the draft choice. Would love to hear people's thoughts about that contract, which teams are willing and able to pay that much.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But you failed to bring up the 8 or 9 million dollar contract. Everything else you have so nicely listed means nothing if the price is too high.

It will cost a team a 9 million Dollar contract and a third round draft choice to sign Kampman. The 9 million dollar contract IMO makes a trade unlikely. Thats what is up for debate, not the draft choice. Would love to hear people's thoughts about that contract, which teams are willing and able to pay that much.
I "failed" to bring it up because you mentioned it in your post, which I quoted. I thought I had already talked about the subject...

If you want me to put it on paper, yes, even tagged to a 1-year 9 million dollar contract, he will still warrant attention from other teams.

And one point that I made clear is that teams can still re-sign him to another contract.

And given his past with the Packers, it's highly unlikely the team will trade him for a franchise he doesn't want to play for. Remember, he won't want to "stick it" to the Packers. He won't want to play for Minnesota or Chicago, which would be the teams we wouldn't trade him to...

So, when traded, it'll be implicit that he'll renegotiate the tagged contract, which makes the 9 million contract discussion pointless...

All of that, of course, in the hypotetical field, as plenty could occur differently...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry PackersRS but i'm going to have to agree with dilligaff on this one. A 9 million dollar price tag is what is going to keep mosr teams from ever considering Kampman. The best example is Julius Peppers because the Panthers had the same idea totag him and trade him as the 09 season progressed. Even thouh Peppers has been playing ligjts out no team has come knocking on the Panthers door. I believe the same could be said about the Packers; kampman will be sitting with us for a whole season if we do tag him. So seeing how tt is he will most likely let Kampman walk.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry PackersRS but i'm going to have to agree with dilligaff on this one. A 9 million dollar price tag is what is going to keep mosr teams from ever considering Kampman. The best example is Julius Peppers because the Panthers had the same idea totag him and trade him as the 09 season progressed. Even thouh Peppers has been playing ligjts out no team has come knocking on the Panthers door. I believe the same could be said about the Packers; kampman will be sitting with us for a whole season if we do tag him. So seeing how tt is he will most likely let Kampman walk.
Really not what I heard about Peppers. That teams didn't offer enough for him, is what I knew...

And Peppers is a problematic player. Not Kampman's case.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really not what I heard about Peppers. That teams didn't offer enough for him, is what I knew...

And Peppers is a problematic player. Not Kampman's case.

True that Carolina did not get anything they though was worth trading Peppers for, but that is separate from the contract. Other teams were willing to pay Peppers a big time contract, but Carolina wanted a big time player or 1st round pick in trade. Otherwise they were content on Peppers playing in Carolina.

I love Kampman as a player and all the things you have said about him are true. This discussion really has nothing to do with Kampman's character or attributes.

In Kampman's case I don't think is own team (TT) thinks he is worth a 9 million a year contract (30 years old coming off major knee injury) + trade (player or draft pick).

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Check this article out:

Scout.com: Kampman: Return to Packers Would Be ?Great?

Free agent-to-be Aaron Kampman, making a rapid recovery from a torn ACL that ended his season on Nov. 22 against San Francisco, sounds open to returning to the Packers. “Let’s just say that I’ve been very encouraged by the health of my knee,” he said.

Aaron Kampman is a class act! I hope nothing but good things for him. (yes, by that I mean it would be a sad sad thing if such a great guy every played for the Vikings or the Bears!) :)

:viksux::chisux:

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he wants to come back, does he want to try to be a LB again or does he want to be a D-Lineman?

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got the feeling from the article that he would like to come back and show he could play effectively in the 3-4. He also states he likes the 4-3.

Really what he is doing is saying all the right things.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't want to move after how many years of living in Green Bay. I really respect what Kampman has done for the Packers and how he's handled himself throughout his career in Green Bay. I just still don't believe he's a good fit as a LB in our 3-4. If he comes back with us, I really hope I'm wrong.

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kampman needs to be in the trenches, put him on one side and bring CLay on the other side from time to time and that pressure will make any QB release the ball quicker.

Otherwise I don't know why Kampman would be on the team to be honest, I love the guy to death and his DE capabilities are off the charts but he's just not fit for the 3-4 as a linebacker. We did better when he went down, hate to say it. . .and I wish him the speedy and complete recovery so he can finish a solid standout career.

Members online

Latest posts