Packers Pro Bowl prospects for 2009

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Kampman, Charles Woodson, Al Harris, Donald Driver, Chad Clifton & Nick Collins are current Packers who have been selected to the Pro Bowl in their careers. Four of those 6 have played in more than one Pro Bowl. Depending on how age, injury, and the institution of a new defensive scheme play out, most or all of these guys should be on the candidates' list for this coming season. Greg Jennings has been close to Pro Bowl consideration and could finally break through this year. He needs to be a little more durable in the later stages of the season to get to recognition. If Aaron Rodgers keeps putting up the efficient statistical numbers he did in his first season as the starter and the team wins more games he could well earn selection this year. The NFC isn't awash in great quarterbacks at the moment anyway and Rodgers was the 6th highest rated qb in the league last year. Ryan Grant rushed for over 1200 yds. last season and was considered a disappointment. If he can get back to being more the "explosive" back he was in 2007 with a full season as starter he might challenge 1400 yds. or better this season and that's bound to earn a Pro Bowl look. Depending on how the new 3-4 defense works for them, Nick Barnett and/or A.J. Hawk might be ready to vault into PB conversations as well. Barnett has been Pro Bowl worthy before; his "if's'" for this season are the new defense and his recovery from major knee injury. If the Packers are right that Hawk will do better in a 3-4 than a 4-3 he might be ready to do what the 5th player overall taken in the '06 draft is expected to be. The d-line that was at the heart of the defensive slide last season could redeem itself this year. Ryan Pickett has been a solid pro for years and if he stands out as a nose tackle he might finally get his trip to Honolulu. There's a chance rookie B.J. Raji might be an immediate high impact force. If Cullen Jenkins comes back fully from his injury and stays healthy on a productive defense for a winning team he could get the recognition his opponents already accord him. Mason Crosby generally has the strong leg and the stats for Pro Bowl consideration. What he needs to get there is become more a clutch, game-winning performer. Flip those game changing situations he failed at in Tennessee, Minnesota & Chicago last year and Crosby should be in. Atari Bigby might follow his secondary mate Nick Collins with a sudden, breakout season. If he's healthy, if he's the big hitter he was 2 years ago, if he can snare a few more ints. and pick up his assignments more consistently in the new defense he could be a sleeper just under the radar. That amounts to 16 players on the current roster who are, have been or could be Pro Bowlers. How can a team with this much talent not be a winner and a playoff team?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My take: Rodgers, Jennings, Kampman for sure. Woodson probably. Hawk and/or Barnett, TRAMON WILLIAMS, Nick Collins and Atary Bigby might get consideration. The Oline won't send anybody. The Dline could, but the 3-4 doesn't allow pro-bowl statistics. Only if our NT is just dominant and unblockable, which I don't see. I Matthews beats out Thompson he could be in for Rookie of the Year, but Pro Bowl competing against Ware, Kampman and such at OLB is tough... I forgot, maybe Blackmon at ST...

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rodgers, Jennings, Kampman, Woodson, and Collins have the better chance. Nick Barnett, Al Harris, and Atari Bigby are possibilities.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That amounts to 16 players on the current roster who are, have been or could be Pro Bowlers. How can a team with this much talent not be a winner and a playoff team?

Well, I can think of a few reasons namely other starters at key positions that have no business starting in the NFL. I'll save ya'll the pain of listing these players but the fact remains you cannot consistently win with average talent at certain positions. Also, poor coaching doesn't help. Bob Sanders sucked and while I'll credit Mac for firing him, I continue to come to the question of why Sanders was even the DC in the first place??? That all comes back on Mac and if he doesn't pull a rabbit outta his hat with the easiest schedule in 2009 I've seen in quite some time, then we've gotta move in another direction.

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I can think of a few reasons namely other starters at key positions that have no business starting in the NFL. I'll save ya'll the pain of listing these players but the fact remains you cannot consistently win with average talent at certain positions. Also, poor coaching doesn't help. Bob Sanders sucked and while I'll credit Mac for firing him, I continue to come to the question of why Sanders was even the DC in the first place??? That all comes back on Mac and if he doesn't pull a rabbit outta his hat with the easiest schedule in 2009 I've seen in quite some time, then we've gotta move in another direction.

Sanders was basically a default selection for dc in 2006. Jim Bates left after just one season when he was passed over for hc. Sanders had worked under him in his system for years as a line coach and TT and MM didn't want to add further disruption with another new defense to implement on top of the head coaching and offensive changes at that time.
To be fair, the D did play well under Sanders at the end of '06 and in '07 was top 12. While he and his assistants had their faults - as reflected in the mass firing last Jan.- they did lose half their line-up last season to injuries.

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Compare with the current and prospective Pro Bowl prospects on the other NFC North clubs:

Minnesota- Adrian Peterson, LG Steve Hutchinson, d-linemen Jared Allen,Kevin Williams,Pat Williams, cb Antoine Winfield, lb's E.G. Henderson, Chad Greenway (8)

Chicago- Jay Cutler, lb Lance Briggs, kr Devin Hester, dt Tommie Harris, lb Brian Urlacher, rb Matt Forte, k Robbie Gould (7)

Detroit- wr Calvin Johnson, lb's Julian Peterson, Ernie Sims (3)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Compare with the current and prospective Pro Bowl prospects on the other NFC North clubs:

Minnesota- Adrian Peterson, LG Steve Hutchinson, d-linemen Jared Allen,Kevin Williams,Pat Williams, cb Antoine Winfield, lb's E.G. Henderson, Chad Greenway (8)

Chicago- Jay Cutler, lb Lance Briggs, kr Devin Hester, dt Tommie Harris, lb Brian Urlacher, rb Matt Forte, k Robbie Gould (7)

Detroit- wr Calvin Johnson, lb's Julian Peterson, Ernie Sims (3)
Don't agree that MIN linebackers are pro bowl material. Solid contributors at best. IMO Lions' are better. Can't see Robbie Gould going to the pro bowl, not with Akers, Tynes, Folk and such. I even think Crosby is better, and I don't like Crosby. Hester probably won't return kicks this year. And Ernie Sims I can't see either. I think Foote has more of a chance than him.

MIN - AP, Hutchinson, Allen, Kevin Williams, Winfield

CHI - Cutler, Briggs, Harris, Urlacher, Forte

DET - Calvin Johnson, Julian Peterson, Kevin Smith.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't say Henderson is Pro Bowl material, but I think Chad Greenway is good enough.

bp65

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett, Rodgers, Jennings, Kampman, Woodson, Hawk, Clifton,

Think the first 4 are a lock if they get fair voting and stay healthy since Barnett should have made atleast 1-2 pro bowls already but just has not gotten the votes

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Fans will vote Favre in for Minnesota. I hate that fans get to vote on these things. Not so much in the NFL or NBA, but in MLB the game actually matters so fans biases should have no say.

Packers possible pro bowlers: Rodgers, Grant (Oh yes. Full training camp, no holdout, he's going to be more 2007 than 2008.), Jennings, Kampman, Woodson, Harris (people seem to love him for some reason), and Nick Collins.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think any of our rookies make it to the Pro Bowl? I know that is pretty much unheard of, but our 2 first round draft picks are no slouches...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO not this year. Raji will play mostly at DE, and for a 3-4 DE to be chosen to the probowl is very uncommon. And Matthews will have to compete in one of the thoughest positions to be selected to the pro bowl (although being in a 3-4, and in the NFC gives him some advantage). But I do think if CM3 playes well enough, he could be Rookie Def player of the year...

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sanders was basically a default selection for dc in 2006. Jim Bates left after just one season when he was passed over for hc. Sanders had worked under him in his system for years as a line coach and TT and MM didn't want to add further disruption with another new defense to implement on top of the head coaching and offensive changes at that time.
To be fair, the D did play well under Sanders at the end of '06 and in '07 was top 12. While he and his assistants had their faults - as reflected in the mass firing last Jan.- they did lose half their line-up last season to injuries.

My original point eluding to the proven fact that Mac does not have the best "eye" for coaching talent. As opposed to thinking outside the box and leading by example, he reduces himself to the "Good Ol' Boy Network" of how NFL coaches are hired. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours and there's no better example of this thank Kurt Schott. Since Marty gave Mac a shot back in the day, Mac felt obligated to give a proven loser in Kurt Schott another chance. My goodness, how can you build a championship-caliber team when you don't even have the balls to hire your own coaches???

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At first I didn't like the idea of Dom Capers and the 3-4, but as I look at it and see the changes Green Bay and (so far) how the adjustments have look I'm kind of excited.

Members online

Latest posts