1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Packers pick #1---Kenny Clark UCLA DL

Discussion in '2016 Draft Archive' started by longtimefan, Apr 28, 2016.

1. ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    You're not going to get flamed for this at all. /s :laugh:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. PackerDNA

PackerDNA Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:

Ya think? :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    It's one thing to create a wish list, but to actually create a full on draft board I mean that's a lot of time and effort just because.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    You think playing NT in a 30 front lends itself to making splash plays?

5. PackerDNA

PackerDNA Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Exactly, especially having to deal with all the factors and variables during the draft. I half *** it for 3 rounds and it takes a while. The work that goes into this is enormous.

6. Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    So you don't play NCAA 14 I take it? :p

See Vernon Butler's highlight reel....

7. SoonerPack

SoonerPack Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    3 rounds in and your Baylor boy still Had no home. Ridiculous speculation and zero correlation between he and JH. JH was hurt all the time and only flashed occasionally. Clark grades out very well and has been a consistent player for years now. Simple case of your guy not getting picked so trash the guy who did. Solid pick and a needed one.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TeamTundra

TeamTundra Cheesehead

PFF also had Billings going at 26 and Sheldon Day at pick 28 in their final mock draft.
    We are almost at pick 100 and neither has been drafted.

9. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Andrew Billings was widely considered to be a first round pick but it seems teams are concerned about his shoulder injury. PFF compares Sheldon Day to Mike Daniels and we all know where he would be drafted in a do-over of the 2012 draft.

10. WWW

WWW Cheesehead

Picking at #27 is dang near a 2nd round pick to begin with. Clark was definitely in the circle of quality defensive lineman before the draft. I went onto YouTube right after we drafted him and I had already viewed his videos. But totally forgot because I viewed so many other guys (Billings, Butler, Robinson, Reed....) the past few months.

This guy is going to be able to play multiple positions along the line to keep our D "fresh". Not drinking the Kool Aid, but think that he will be a great fit to improve our D.

11. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Perhaps but I think he projects to be a good NT, he doesnt even need to add strength or muscle just some soft weight for leverage. As for Kindle he stuck around for a couple years after breaking his skull, but he never had the speed or burst again. Microfracture surgery has had some success stories but Im not aware of anyone who at it at the start of their career and then went on to later success. That's a huge red flag.

12. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    First of all it seems uncertain whether Myles Jack even needs microfracture surgery. Travis Kelce is a player who had it done during his rookie season and recovered extremely well from it.

I've posted it in another thread but here's an interesting read about the possibilities of coming back in full strength from a surgery like that.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ramblings/2016/teams-dont-know-jack

13. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Vernon Butler played the actual little sisters of the poor while Clark face future NFL players at Stanford Oregon USC ASU State among others. I like Vernon Butler but he's a 3 tech not a nose.

14. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Always liked FO, good read. Even still that knee is a big red flag for me.

15. Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    When's the last time the Pac-12 was known for great offensive linemen? You're going off the hype of the name of the conference.

In the last two years Vernon Butler played against:
    Oklahoma
    Auburn
    Illinois
    Kansas State
    Mississippi State

Can you name one halfway decent offensive line in the Pac-12?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. RicFlairoftheNFL

RicFlairoftheNFL Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I can't give a grade higher than incomplete here. I didn't see the guy play and there were a lot of guys I DID see play last year left on the board. I hope he's as good as Ted thinks he is and not like Datone Jones as a rookie and 2nd year player. I'll grade this at the end of pre-season once I've seen him play.

17. RicFlairoftheNFL

RicFlairoftheNFL Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Ok so the problem here Favre is that Butler playing against Auburn doesn't make your point. I watch alot of SEC ball, Auburn hasn't really had a great Dominant O-Lineman (Despite what the draft says) for Butler to play against.

18. Sanguine camper

Sanguine camper Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    The problem the Pack had is that both Guion and Raji were better at NT than playing over the guard. If Clark can play over the guard then Guion can play NT full time at his best position. Clark is an upgrade over Raji. While BJ could still hold his ground his lateral movement was minimal that's why he rarely got any tackles. Clark has better mobility and should get his hands on the ball carrier. The problem I see with Clark is that he will come off the field often in nickel packages so his actual snaps will be limited. Spending a first on a role player with 30 snaps per game is a steep price to pay. Butler IMO from watching the tape is more of a three down player at this stage of his career.

19. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I don't know how much or how little he'll play. We don't go heavy on linemen during passing downs anyway, often times 1 maybe 2 on the field is all. His videos show mostly a guy that really holds the point of attack, and can beat his blocker with his leverage and quick hands and get to the ball carrier quickly. If he helps consistently put teams in 3rd and long because they can't run, i'm fine with him playing only 30% of the snaps. Though there were a few spots in his college videos where you can see who was turned loose to get in the backfield and he'd split to blockers and get there. I'm not certain he doesn't have the ability to help cause disruption in the passing game too. I am excited to find out.

20. TeamTundra

TeamTundra Cheesehead

Below are Adrian Petersons stats versus the Packers last year:

Attempts. Rushing Yds. Avg Yds per Rush. TDs. Fumbles Date

13 45 3.5. 1. 1. 11/22/15
    19. 67. 3.5. 1. 0. 1/03/16

Not exactly all pro stats and he is now 31 years old. The reason we lost the second game to
    the Vikings last year was due to the ineffectiveness of our offense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Right. Replace Raji....

22. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Unfortunately aside of Chris Jones and Robert Nkemdiche none of the defensive lineman available and worthy of the 27th pick are better pass rushers than Clark though.

23. Bagadeez04

Bagadeez04 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    This is a decent pick IMO. I agree that it's not one that blows you away with the value of it, but it is in the general part of the draft where he was supposed to go, and it certainly does fill a need.

Bottom line is he's a talented kid who supposedly is excellent against the run...i guess that works. As we know, only time will tell who is right and who is wrong.

24. Sky King

Sky King 158.3

Packer Fan Since:
    Definitely warming-up to this pick. His injury history (none) and age (20) are significant positives. A guy so young deserves a reasonable amount of patience. I'm seeing the upside.

25. Patriotplayer90

Patriotplayer90 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I like Butler more. Clark doesn't have that explosive quickness or desire to get to the ball like Butler and some of the other top DL. He's just kind of there, he's strong and can bull rush but that's it. If they want a guy to absorb linemen that's fine, but I think there were better options.