Packers pick #1---Kenny Clark UCLA DL

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I AM smarter!

I AM better!

I SHOULD!

Clark is not a NT, he is a DT. I looked at two highlight films and saw TWO plays where UCLA was in a 3-3-5 and he played as a NT. Every other play he was a a part of a four man rush. If we're going to recruit players to play in a scheme we need to recruit from the right scheme. Vernon Butler was available and he has the size and the experience playing in a 3 man rush. We let him walk away to the Panthers.

Honestly I like Clark and he deserved to be one of the first 3 DTs taken off the board, I had him going as high as Top 15 initially, but the crazy flow of the draft probably accelerated his fall. But he should have gone to another 4-3 scheme.

Ted Thompson is an idiot. He doesn't know how to build a 3-4 defensive front. You can't just plug and play whoever into a 3-4.

For instance, take Datone Jones, who was a tweener coming out of UCLA at 6'4/283. He's been blown up an additional 15-20 lbs or so since being drafted and that 4.80 speed he had is now probably a 5.10. And now they want to move him to OLB and see if he has better luck? I was never big on Jones but his career has probably been initially sabotaged. He might find success once he leaves GB and plays in a 4-3 as a DT. And then we'll be scratching out heads as to why he didn't work out in Lambeau.

In all honestly, GB needs to find an OL/DL/LB "Consultant"; because Ted Thompson needs to stick to just scouting DBs and WRs.

You're not going to get flamed for this at all. /s :laugh:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes... I see people here and on other sites pissed they drafted him..

Just want to hear why they are so much better at this thrn Ted.

It's one thing to create a wish list, but to actually create a full on draft board I mean that's a lot of time and effort just because.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I AM smarter!
Clark is not a NT, he is a DT. I looked at two highlight films and saw TWO plays where UCLA was in a 3-3-5 and he played as a NT. Every other play he was a a part of a four man rush. If we're going to recruit players to play in a scheme we need to recruit from the right scheme. Vernon Butler was available and he has the size and the experience playing in a 3 man rush. We let him walk away to the Panthers.

You think playing NT in a 30 front lends itself to making splash plays?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's one thing to create a wish list, but to actually create a full on draft board I mean that's a lot of time and effort just because.

Exactly, especially having to deal with all the factors and variables during the draft. I half *** it for 3 rounds and it takes a while. The work that goes into this is enormous.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Such a ****** waste of a pick Justin Harrell number 2!!!! So ****** disappointing Andrew billings is 100% times better I'm so pissed off!!
3 rounds in and your Baylor boy still Had no home. Ridiculous speculation and zero correlation between he and JH. JH was hurt all the time and only flashed occasionally. Clark grades out very well and has been a consistent player for years now. Simple case of your guy not getting picked so trash the guy who did. Solid pick and a needed one.

D

Deleted member 6794

PFF also had Billings going at 26 and Sheldon Day at pick 28 in their final mock draft.
We are almost at pick 100 and neither has been drafted.

Andrew Billings was widely considered to be a first round pick but it seems teams are concerned about his shoulder injury. PFF compares Sheldon Day to Mike Daniels and we all know where he would be drafted in a do-over of the 2012 draft.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Picking at #27 is dang near a 2nd round pick to begin with. Clark was definitely in the circle of quality defensive lineman before the draft. I went onto YouTube right after we drafted him and I had already viewed his videos. But totally forgot because I viewed so many other guys (Billings, Butler, Robinson, Reed....) the past few months.

This guy is going to be able to play multiple positions along the line to keep our D "fresh". Not drinking the Kool Aid, but think that he will be a great fit to improve our D.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clark is probably best suited to play defensive end in a 3-4.

Kindle breaking his skull months after getting drafted by the Ravens probably had a lot to do with it as well.

Perhaps but I think he projects to be a good NT, he doesnt even need to add strength or muscle just some soft weight for leverage. As for Kindle he stuck around for a couple years after breaking his skull, but he never had the speed or burst again. Microfracture surgery has had some success stories but Im not aware of anyone who at it at the start of their career and then went on to later success. That's a huge red flag.

D

Deleted member 6794

Perhaps but I think he projects to be a good NT, he doesnt even need to add strength or muscle just some soft weight for leverage. As for Kindle he stuck around for a couple years after breaking his skull, but he never had the speed or burst again. Microfracture surgery has had some success stories but Im not aware of anyone who at it at the start of their career and then went on to later success. That's a huge red flag.

First of all it seems uncertain whether Myles Jack even needs microfracture surgery. Travis Kelce is a player who had it done during his rookie season and recovered extremely well from it.

I've posted it in another thread but here's an interesting read about the possibilities of coming back in full strength from a surgery like that.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ramblings/2016/teams-dont-know-jack

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you don't play NCAA 14 I take it? :p

See Vernon Butler's highlight reel....

Vernon Butler played the actual little sisters of the poor while Clark face future NFL players at Stanford Oregon USC ASU State among others. I like Vernon Butler but he's a 3 tech not a nose.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all it seems uncertain whether Myles Jack even needs microfracture surgery. Travis Kelce is a player who had it done during his rookie season and recovered extremely well from it.

I've posted it in another thread but here's an interesting read about the possibilities of coming back in full strength from a surgery like that.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ramblings/2016/teams-dont-know-jack

Always liked FO, good read. Even still that knee is a big red flag for me.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vernon Butler played the actual little sisters of the poor while Clark face future NFL players at Stanford Oregon USC ASU State among others. I like Vernon Butler but he's a 3 tech not a nose.

When's the last time the Pac-12 was known for great offensive linemen? You're going off the hype of the name of the conference.

In the last two years Vernon Butler played against:
Oklahoma
Auburn
Illinois
Kansas State
Mississippi State

Can you name one halfway decent offensive line in the Pac-12?

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't give a grade higher than incomplete here. I didn't see the guy play and there were a lot of guys I DID see play last year left on the board. I hope he's as good as Ted thinks he is and not like Datone Jones as a rookie and 2nd year player. I'll grade this at the end of pre-season once I've seen him play.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When's the last time the Pac-12 was known for great offensive linemen? You're going off the hype of the name of the conference.

In the last two years Vernon Butler played against:
Oklahoma
Auburn
Illinois
Kansas State
Mississippi State

Can you name one halfway decent offensive line in the Pac-12?

Ok so the problem here Favre is that Butler playing against Auburn doesn't make your point. I watch alot of SEC ball, Auburn hasn't really had a great Dominant O-Lineman (Despite what the draft says) for Butler to play against.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem the Pack had is that both Guion and Raji were better at NT than playing over the guard. If Clark can play over the guard then Guion can play NT full time at his best position. Clark is an upgrade over Raji. While BJ could still hold his ground his lateral movement was minimal that's why he rarely got any tackles. Clark has better mobility and should get his hands on the ball carrier. The problem I see with Clark is that he will come off the field often in nickel packages so his actual snaps will be limited. Spending a first on a role player with 30 snaps per game is a steep price to pay. Butler IMO from watching the tape is more of a three down player at this stage of his career.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how much or how little he'll play. We don't go heavy on linemen during passing downs anyway, often times 1 maybe 2 on the field is all. His videos show mostly a guy that really holds the point of attack, and can beat his blocker with his leverage and quick hands and get to the ball carrier quickly. If he helps consistently put teams in 3rd and long because they can't run, i'm fine with him playing only 30% of the snaps. Though there were a few spots in his college videos where you can see who was turned loose to get in the backfield and he'd split to blockers and get there. I'm not certain he doesn't have the ability to help cause disruption in the passing game too. I am excited to find out.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more this looks like a "stop Adrian Peterson" pick. They did win the division, and their management and coaching upgrades are showing. Actually more like "redirect Adrian Peterson", but lets try to stay optimistic. ;)

Below are Adrian Petersons stats versus the Packers last year:

Attempts. Rushing Yds. Avg Yds per Rush. TDs. Fumbles Date

13 45 3.5. 1. 1. 11/22/15
19. 67. 3.5. 1. 0. 1/03/16

Not exactly all pro stats and he is now 31 years old. The reason we lost the second game to
the Vikings last year was due to the ineffectiveness of our offense.

H

HardRightEdge

Below are Adrian Petersons stats versus the Packers last year:

Attempts. Rushing Yds. Avg Yds per Rush. TDs. Fumbles Date

13 45 3.5. 1. 1. 11/22/15
19. 67. 3.5. 1. 0. 1/03/16

Not exactly all pro stats and he is now 31 years old. The reason we lost the second game to
the Vikings last year was due to the ineffectiveness of our offense.
Right. Replace Raji....

D

Deleted member 6794

The problem I see with Clark is that he will come off the field often in nickel packages so his actual snaps will be limited. Spending a first on a role player with 30 snaps per game is a steep price to pay. Butler IMO from watching the tape is more of a three down player at this stage of his career.

Unfortunately aside of Chris Jones and Robert Nkemdiche none of the defensive lineman available and worthy of the 27th pick are better pass rushers than Clark though.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a decent pick IMO. I agree that it's not one that blows you away with the value of it, but it is in the general part of the draft where he was supposed to go, and it certainly does fill a need.

Bottom line is he's a talented kid who supposedly is excellent against the run...i guess that works. As we know, only time will tell who is right and who is wrong.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately aside of Chris Jones and Robert Nkemdiche none of the defensive lineman available and worthy of the 27th pick are better pass rushers than Clark though.
I like Butler more. Clark doesn't have that explosive quickness or desire to get to the ball like Butler and some of the other top DL. He's just kind of there, he's strong and can bull rush but that's it. If they want a guy to absorb linemen that's fine, but I think there were better options.

Members online

Latest posts