Packers pick #1---Kenny Clark UCLA DL

D

Deleted member 6794

a primary knock on all of reed, robinson, and butler are that they aren't effective pass rushers
nobody would have decided they were a reach if we'd have drafted them

While that's true all of them are better defending the run as Clark. I'm not extremely disappointed about the pick but had him graded as a second rounder.

I would like to upgrade ILBs as well, but with Lee fone and Ragland having some medical issues, there were no significant ILB upgrades there. Instead we got a very good player with significant upside. Clark is a good pick.

As I've mentioned earlier in the thread I understand drafting a defensive lineman with all the question marks about the health of the best inside linebacker prospects.

I liked DL over ILB before this started and for everyone saying he's 2nd round talent well so are Jack and Smith and Ragland and everyone else.

Jack and Smith dropped because of injury concerns but both of them are top 10 talents.

Andrew Billings might be a better prospect, with some familiar concerns over motor, but he doesn't project at 34 NT. At 311 he has a lot of soft weight. In comparison Clark looks like he could add 5-10 pounds of leverage weight before the start of the season and play at a solid and respectable 325 pounds.

Clark is probably best suited to play defensive end in a 3-4.

Remember Sergio Kindle? Guy was an absolute man beast, but his chronically injured knee needed microfracture surgery.

Kindle breaking his skull months after getting drafted by the Ravens probably had a lot to do with it as well.

I get that. I guess I think at a certain point you just gotta have faith in the people in charge and alot of times the **** picks turn out wrong

Thompson's track record drafting defensive linemen in the first round doesn't instill a ton of confidence.

A lack of a good man cover backer is one reason we run the nickel so much even against run sets.

That makes absolutely no sense at all.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A'shawn Robinson - bigger, more agressive play style that proved himself against some of the better offensive lineman in college football
Jarren reed- hands are quick off the block, continues to fight through the entire down
Reggie Ragland- because the Inside linebackers in this draft are few and far between. The packers inside linebaking core of Sam barrington and Jake Ryan will pose a serious hole in the packers defense
Kevin Dodd - We have no productive D ends

Most importantly though, is that if Kenny Clark was really their guy, he most likely would have been available tonight.

I get all your opinions on the players...however none of us have done this before in that we have never sat in a draft room, fielding phone calls, hearing whispers, knowing or having hints of what scouts are thinking. Shoot Myles Jack was so many "guys" 'guy' yet dropped...Tunsil....Deion Jones.....Treadwell......list goes on. While many figure Kenny may have been there the fact is the DL run had started and TT wanted to grab his guy rather than not....but knowing TT I bet he fielded calls but nothing was out there. If Broncos hadn't went for the 26th I bet we got them to trade us...but wasn't to be.

H

HardRightEdge

A just because pick? What does that even mean? Reports say Clark is really good at stopping the run - maybe the best in the draft. He actually does get pressure on the qb and maybe just maybe the scouts think a 20 year old could get better there. This is a guy who mocked in the first or early second. This is a young guy with upside and high character - captain as a true junior.
I don't question his character or his ability on 20% of the snaps in base D...just because.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Most importantly though, is that if Kenny Clark was really their guy, he most likely would have been available tonight.

Same thought crossed my mind last night. However, I don't think Clark would have still been there at #57. If Clark was someone TT really wanted, he had to grab him last night or maybe.....gambled a bit and try to trade back 5-10 spots. We may never know if he attempted such a move.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same thought crossed my mind last night. However, I don't think Clark would have still been there at #57. If Clark was someone TT really wanted, he had to grab him last night or maybe.....gambled a bit and try to trade back 5-10 spots. We may never know if he attempted such a move.
To piggyback on this, if Thompson had him as the #1 player on his board and worthy of our selection you got to take him. People on here will cite mock drafts and whatnot but you truly never know what other teams' boards look like. Do you pass on Nick Collins or Demarious Randall because of Todd McShay's 6.0 mock draft doesn't have them going for 12 more picks? No. You grab them.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted him. He was one of my favorite prospects. But i was also sort of shocked at who was left on the board!!! Wow.
After finding out the 6'3" 313 pounder only 20!?!?!? You start to wonder how he didnt get picked already!
A great pick imo.
I am thinking if i knew he accomplished what he has and is only 20, before??? I would have him as my top dlineman too...

Eli likes the the pick. No

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A'shawn Robinson - bigger, more agressive play style that proved himself against some of the better offensive lineman in college football
Jarren reed- hands are quick off the block, continues to fight through the entire down
Reggie Ragland- because the Inside linebackers in this draft are few and far between. The packers inside linebaking core of Sam barrington and Jake Ryan will pose a serious hole in the packers defense

Honestly, I think Dodd would be an OLB in a 3-4.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be lying if I said I knew much about Kenny Clark or watched one down of UCLA football. He looks like a solid defensive tackle. From what I've heard and read, he seems to be an impact player. With that being said, I'm reserving judgement due to the Packers recent history drafting defensive linemen. I have my fingers crossed that Clark is better than a majority of the defensive linemen that Ted Thompson has drafted during his tenure with Green Bay. I'm hoping he's more BJ Raji circa 2009 and 2010 than Khyri Thornton or Jerel Worthy (or even Datone Jones who is being moved to OLB).

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And thing is, all those guys you mention there are available tonight besides Kenny Clark. Nobody wanted them in round 1.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a question for all the people that said this about Clark..

"I had him in 2nd round on my board"

To me and I am sure others, it comes across as your smarter than Ted and the coaches.

Because you had him there, are you saying Ted and company made a mistake? Or your are better?

I get some spend a ton of time researching, watching tape and etc, maybe insider info..

I don't do any researching, so I don't pretend to even know who is better than who..

But sometimes posters are coming off so cocky, I feel you should be working for nfl team.

Just want to know why your way of grading is better.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

To me and I am sure others, it comes across as your smarter than Ted and the coaches.

Because you had him there, are you saying Ted and company made a mistake? Or your are better?

I get some spend a ton of time researching, watching tape and etc, maybe insider info..

I don't do any researching, so I don't pretend to even know who is better than who..

But sometimes posters are coming off so cocky, I feel you should be working for nfl team.

Do you know where I can pickup an application? I forgot to grab one at my local high school career fair. ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

Honestly, I think Dodd would be an OLB in a 3-4.

Dodd most likely would be another elephant in Capers scheme although I'm not convinced his pass rush is good enough to line up on the edge in a 3-4.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I really hope ""I had him in 2nd round on my board"" is just an expression.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I actually was one that had him in my Amish Draft in the second round, but as I said last night, I did so thinking TT might trade back. Did I think he would go in the first round? No.....but I thought early second.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't play 34 D without a 34 NT... or so they say and Bob McGinn says this as well. I think clarke is one of those guys who won't make a lot of splash plays but he'll turn into the kind of fulcrum type player that is needed at that position.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I really hope ""I had him in 2nd round on my board"" is just an expression.

Yes... I see people here and on other sites pissed they drafted him..

Just want to hear why they are so much better at this thrn Ted.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Was wondering the same thing. I get saying that about a total reach, but he was taken in the right ballpark. I promise our front office has better intel.

And you also wonder "where in the 2nd round did you 'have him' at?" He wasn't going to be there at 2-27

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

"Because Dom Capers should be fired!" :D

The better question (IMO) to ask someone is "Why do you feel Clark was a poor selection and who do you think would have been a better selection?"

Personally, I don't profess to know 1/50 of what Thompson knows. I had myself so hyped to pick Ragland, that if the name "Joey Bosa" was read for our pick, I probably would have been disappointed LOL

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where are people getting that Clark would have been there in the second round for the Packers? I have seen him ranked 20, 31, 33, 36, 39 from places like nfl.com, si,com, cbssports, etc. Not sure where they pay sites had him but from first 5 I found I found on google it seems like end of first and early second was right where he fit. Nothing about him sliding to the packers in the 2nd

D

Deleted member 6794

Where are people getting that Clark would have been there in the second round for the Packers? I have seen him ranked 20, 31, 33, 36, 39 from places like nfl.com, si,com, cbssports, etc. Not sure where they pay sites had him but from first 5 I found I found on google it seems like end of first and early second was right where he fit. Nothing about him sliding to the packers in the 2nd

Pro Football Focus had him at #58 on their big board.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given TT's record drafting d linemen anyone he would draft would receive a lot of skepticism. When you have pissed away picks on Thornton, Jones, Worthy and even Raji since he only produced one good season you have to start believing the Packers have a big problem eveluating DL talent. Because TT picked Clark you have to wonder if he isn't a bust. The opposite happens at WR. TT has a stellar record so his picks get hyped.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pro Football Focus had him at #58 on their big board.

They were 20 plus spots lower than almost anyone else I have seen. Maybe they are right but that is incredible far from a consensus. Like I said I have no idea where Kiper and McShay had him so maybe they had him further down as well. It is pretty obvious that quite a few had him right around where the Packers took him.

I would have not had an issue with Jack or Ragland either. Interested to see how this next round plays out. There is quite a bit of defensive talent out there that could slide down toward the Packers

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given TT's record drafting d linemen anyone he would draft would receive a lot of skepticism. When you have pissed away picks on Thornton, Jones, Worthy and even Raji since he only produced one good season you have to start believing the Packers have a big problem eveluating DL talent. Because TT picked Clark you have to wonder if he isn't a bust. The opposite happens at WR. TT has a stellar record so his picks get hyped.

Exactly. No one is saying they are better than Ted. We're are just saying when other players were ranked higher on a lot of scouts boards, you tend to question if we made the right move. That goes double when you have a team with a track record like we do with first round defensive line prospects.

Could we be absolutely wrong and they got this 100% right? Absolutely.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I AM smarter!

I AM better!

I SHOULD!

Clark is not a NT, he is a DT. I looked at two highlight films and saw TWO plays where UCLA was in a 3-3-5 and he played as a NT. Every other play he was a a part of a four man rush. If we're going to recruit players to play in a scheme we need to recruit from the right scheme. Vernon Butler was available and he has the size and the experience playing in a 3 man rush. We let him walk away to the Panthers.

Honestly I like Clark and he deserved to be one of the first 3 DTs taken off the board, I had him going as high as Top 15 initially, but the crazy flow of the draft probably accelerated his fall. But he should have gone to another 4-3 scheme.

Ted Thompson is an idiot. He doesn't know how to build a 3-4 defensive front. You can't just plug and play whoever into a 3-4.

For instance, take Datone Jones, who was a tweener coming out of UCLA at 6'4/283. He's been blown up an additional 15-20 lbs or so since being drafted and that 4.80 speed he had is now probably a 5.10. And now they want to move him to OLB and see if he has better luck? I was never big on Jones but his career has probably been initially sabotaged. He might find success once he leaves GB and plays in a 4-3 as a DT. And then we'll be scratching out heads as to why he didn't work out in Lambeau.

In all honestly, GB needs to find an OL/DL/LB "Consultant"; because Ted Thompson needs to stick to just scouting DBs and WRs.

Members online

Latest posts